U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:01 PM

215 posts, read 538,762 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised those who grew up in the DOS era aren't more at home with Linux than Windows. It's basically the same thing, no GUI just CLI. As for myself, I'm both ways on this topic. I do have a legal Windows system which I use for my gaming and such and then a Linux (archlinux ftw) system for pretty much everything else. Now, I agree that Windows is easier to use and the only thing I really use my linux system for is servers. Linux just plows Windows down in the Server market, but lacks in the Desktop market. Just my opinion.

Now about OpenOffice. What's so hard about it? I downloaded it and on first try I could do EVERYTHING that Microsoft Office could do and hardly even had to think about it. Maybe it's just me, but I see it as the same thing, just without the $400 pricetag or however much Office costs.

As for a $199 netbook, let me at it. I'll by that up in a heartbeat for that price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 09:24 AM

573 posts, read 617,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
The question is, why would anyone waste their time learning Linux when Windows does 99% of what they use it for?
Five good reasons to switch to Linux

Although OpenOffice is not necessarily a Linux thing (I have little doubt that more Windows machines run OpenOffice than any other OS), I don't find it difficult at all.

Other good reasons not covered in the link above are "speed" and "resource-frugality". Crunchbang Linux and TinyXS Linux run programs better and faster than any version of Windows. This is especially true on older equipment with less memory.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:45 AM

154 posts, read 120,195 times
...99% of the population, who still struggle with right-clicking...

Well, the common folk need not apply. I would love a Linux netbook and Google phone! 99% of Websites are hosted on Linux (LAMP).

M$ Office: 400.00

Open Office: free

Old 05-06-2009, 07:07 AM

11,727 posts, read 11,309,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama2009 View Post
...99% of the population, who still struggle with right-clicking...

Well, the common folk need not apply. I would love a Linux netbook and Google phone! 99% of Websites are hosted on Linux (LAMP).

M$ Office: 400.00

Open Office: free
The "common folk" make up the vast majority of computer users. They have no interest in learning technology. They just want to surf City-Data (and do a few other things).

Old 05-06-2009, 07:22 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,381,395 times
For most home users Linux will work fine, I use it myself. But if someone wants to use this at the office for anything, good luck. We have found errors with the math functions in Excel, I cannot imagine what Open Office would be like. It won't even open our Access database without giving us errors. Not to mention all of the little work programs that don't make it to Wine testing. Wine has to get a little more compatible before I could use it here.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:33 AM

11,727 posts, read 11,309,113 times
These threads about Linux generally are either ignored or they turn into an argument between people liking familiar Windows and people convinced anybody can use Linux. I sense a padlock in the near future.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:12 PM

154 posts, read 120,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The "common folk" make up the vast majority of computer users. They have no interest in learning technology. They just want to surf City-Data (and do a few other things).
I've noticed this about City Data. Lot's of "Power Users". Oh look at me mom, I'm a power user because I use MS Office.

What the stats on the average user of City Data?

I can program XHTML, CSS, PHP (student), XML, Flex, Photoshop (beyond the basics), and install and customize Linux and OS-X and M$ Winblows. I don't call myself a "power user" though, that's silly.

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whati...u/810features/

Last edited by JoeMama2009; 05-06-2009 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: Do I really need a reason to edit my own writing?

Old 05-07-2009, 07:29 AM

573 posts, read 617,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama2009 View Post
Oh look at me mom, I'm a power user because I use MS Office.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:32 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,300,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
The question is, why would anyone waste their time learning Linux when Windows does 99% of what they use it for?

A perfect example. I downloaded Open Office. Sounds like a great idea. I played around with it, tried to do a few things in Excel, but they wouldn't work without me trying to figure it out, so I said to myself, why would I spend my time learning the intricacies of Open Office when no one I know uses it, no one in my professional world uses it, and Excel does absolutely everything I could ever reasonably use it for?
Say what? OpenOffice is dead easy to use. It's so close to how Office works that it's pretty much intuitive. Takes about ten minutes max to make the transition.

Plus, it's free. Way better than spending hundreds for Microsoft Office.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:40 AM

122 posts, read 401,333 times
full window video --- http://www.youtube.com/v/GN0T9K64HJI&hl=en&fs=1

Qualcomm, best known as the major chip designer for cellular phones, will be introducing what it calls Smartbooks. Although they will use the less powerful ARM CPU instead of Intel Atom CPU, that minus will be offset by performing better on typical netbook functions: playing video and web browsing. The cost and power usage should also be lower than Intel-based netbooks.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or