U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:11 PM

573 posts, read 617,436 times

Advertisements

http://www.internetnews.com/breaking...nt.php/3817366

Pegatron (part of ASUS) showcases prototype $199 netbook

Last edited by Tennis702; 04-29-2009 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 12:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Linux based netbooks have been around longer than Windows based ones. People don't want them. They want to use what they're already comfortable with and they want to use the software they already have. As a result, Windows netbooks dominate the market.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Linux based netbooks have been around longer than Windows based ones. People don't want them.
This sounds like an echo of: "people don't want netbooks, they are just toys for teenagers".

And yet, netbooks have been the only growth segment of the computer industry this past year.

You were wrong before and wrong once again.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis702 View Post
This sounds like an echo of: "people don't want netbooks, they are just toys for teenagers".

And yet, netbooks have been the only growth segment of the computer industry this past year.

You were wrong before and wrong once again.
Go look at the sales numbers. People have the choice of a cheaper linux based netbook and a more expensive Windows one. Windows netbooks are something like 90% of sales. As much as a fanboy like yourself can't grasp it, the general public doesn't want linux based netbooks or they'd be selling better. If people ONLY wanted to access a browser, it would be fine. But people don't want to spend $300-400 for a machine and not be able to install Office or Quicken on it too. So they spend $50 more for the Windows one that can do everything the linux one does, plus run the Windows software they're already familiar with.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:54 PM

11,750 posts, read 11,317,384 times
I just had a customer ask me if they can run Office 2007 on a netbook. Obviously, linux is not a suitable platform for that user.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Go look at the sales numbers. People have the choice of a cheaper linux based netbook and a more expensive Windows one. Windows netbooks are something like 90% of sales. As much as a fanboy like yourself can't grasp it, the general public doesn't want linux based netbooks or they'd be selling better. If people ONLY wanted to access a browser, it would be fine. But people don't want to spend $300-400 for a machine and not be able to install Office or Quicken on it too. So they spend $50 more for the Windows one that can do everything the linux one does, plus run the Windows software they're already familiar with.
It amazes me how clueless people can be about technology that doesn't fit their preconceptions.

“Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever.” — Thomas Edison

"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?" -- H. M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.

"There is not the slightest indication that nuclear energy will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will." -- Albert Einstein, 1932.

"While theoretically and technically television may be feasible, commercially and financially it is an impossibility." -- Lee DeForest, inventor.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." -- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.

"With over 50 foreign cars already on sale here, the Japanese auto industry isn't likely to carve out a big slice of the U.S. market." -- Business Week, August 2, 1968

"
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken Olson, Digital, 1977.

“We will never make a 32 bit operating system.” — Bill Gates

These are the famous ones. Many of us also remember when a 20MB hard drive was huge. 2MB of memory was excessive and unbelievably expensive. A PC could "never" replace a mini-computer. There were no digital watches or even calculators.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:59 PM

It amazes me how narrow minded linux fanboys are. Netbooks are fine. Linux netbooks have been a commercial failure.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I just had a customer ask me if they can run Office 2007 on a netbook. Obviously, linux is not a suitable platform for that user.
If the client absolutely must use Microsoft Office 2007, an ARM CPU based netbook would not work. A non-Windows Intel CPU netbook would also not be recommended, although limited compatibility could be achieved by using Codeweaver's $40 Crossover for Linux (which is much more compatible with other Microsoft products.)

With an Intel-based Windows XP netbook, there should be no problem running Office 2007 assuming disk space is 16GB or more. OTOH, the standard netbook screen resolution of 1024x600 would seem kind of cramped, IMO. You could use an external monitor at higher resolutions but that defeats the purpose of a netbook.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:30 AM

ARM: Heretic in the church of Intel, Moore's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computerworld (Hardware)

Its partners -- ARM only designs the chips, preferring to license them to partners to make -- have shipped more than 10 billion processors in the past 23 years. By comparison, Intel has shipped somewhere between 1 billion and 2 billion CPUs.

Ian Drew, senior vice president at ARM, told Computerworld recently that he expects to see "six to 10 ARM-based netbooks this year, starting in Q3." The devices will run Linux or a Linux derivative, such as the Google-backed Android smartphone operating system, boast eight to 12 hours of battery life and cost about $200, he said.

Drew's price estimates for upcoming ARM-based netbooks represent savings of up to half off compared with today's cheapest Intel Atom-based netbooks, which range from $300 to $400.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:18 PM

830 posts, read 2,597,255 times
The question is, why would anyone waste their time learning Linux when Windows does 99% of what they use it for?

A perfect example. I downloaded Open Office. Sounds like a great idea. I played around with it, tried to do a few things in Excel, but they wouldn't work without me trying to figure it out, so I said to myself, why would I spend my time learning the intricacies of Open Office when no one I know uses it, no one in my professional world uses it, and Excel does absolutely everything I could ever reasonably use it for?

It's not to say a Linux machine isn't good or has some advantages, but for 99% of the population, who still struggle with right-clicking, why would they spend any time at all installing, learning, and maintaining a Windows AND Linux machine? Don't even get started with dual-boot systems. A techy knows about that stuff, but MOST people are not at all that intelligent about computers, nor do they care to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or