Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 05:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Not that I want to get involved in the Vista bashing, but I must ask... who cares what OS your using? Use what you want and be happy. Don't get upset with others because they don't like this OS or that OS (kind of like the chevy vs. ford people). Personally I wouldn't touch the bloat that is vista with a ten foot pole, but I don't think less of those that like it. I will skip it like I skipped Windows ME. And yes, I have quite a bit of experience with it, many of my home user customers use it, and I ran Vista x64 on my new game box for a couple days, but it couldn't compete with the speed of Server 2008 x64.
Loo at the Op thread has written 'It wasn't saying anyhtign about nayhting opther tahn that SP2 was being released. The one that always bsh anyhting they don't use came on stiring the pot as usual.You start out saying use what you want then bashing as well. OP did not start the discussion on what OS or what anypone likes. Many people need to growup IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 06:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Read your post; I see no real question. It starts by asking what is there to love.Taht si a statement not a question What is it with these Mac and computer users? Many strick me as being like the child that is always saying mines better than your.
No! some are professing that I am missing all of the great enhancements and improvements that Vista offers, and I have repeatedly asked "WHAT" great enhancements am I missing, and no one has responded with anything but insults, criticism, and ridicule but nothing else. Could it be because there is nothing that Vista offers above XP

Old 05-07-2009, 07:05 PM

526 posts, read 1,058,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No! some are professing that I am missing all of the great enhancements and improvements that Vista offers, and I have repeatedly asked "WHAT" great enhancements am I missing, and no one has responded with anything but insults, criticism, and ridicule but nothing else. Could it be because there is nothing that Vista offers above XP
no one personally told you your missing anything... You decided to take it upon yourself to make it sound like we shoved it down your throat the features.... You didn't have to click in this thread if you don't like vista

Old 05-07-2009, 08:44 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with XP, SO, use it! No need to keep bashing Vista just to make you feel superior...or your OS system.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:09 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
So why aren't you running Windows 2000 or 98? The OS is just a platform for running your programs, right? There must be some reason you're running XP and not and older OS.
There was actually very little difference between XP and 2000 except for system restore and the "Luna" interface which many people at the time called the "fisher price" interface. If he wants to take up as little resources as possible for his OS, he should just use a stripped down version of Windows 2000. 98 however won't work because it won't run many of today's programs.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
There was actually very little difference between XP and 2000 except for system restore and the "Luna" interface which many people at the time called the "fisher price" interface. If he wants to take up as little resources as possible for his OS, he should just use a stripped down version of Windows 2000. 98 however won't work because it won't run many of today's programs.
you have an excellent point but to get technical 2000's memory management is not that good, and security updates run out next year completely, firefox is thinking of not supporting it as their next major update rolls out
XP is a viable option for anyone with an older system, i just find it insane to downgrade on todays systems especially after 7 is released thats like putting 98 on a pc that has xp.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
There is nothing wrong with XP, SO, use it! No need to keep bashing Vista just to make you feel superior...or your OS system.
OH! so that is what Vista offers that XP doesn't, angry users

Thank you for the clarification

Old 05-08-2009, 09:34 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
Though I'm waiting for Windows 7, which will be a 1000x improvement over Vista. Better memory management just to name one of the features.
Here is a recent article about that theory which a lot have had: Speed Test: Windows 7 May Not Be Much Faster Than Vista - PC World

No doubt Win7 will have definite improvements over all over versions of the OS. The speed increase may not be what some feel it will be, though. At least in many areas of use (though boot up times have been reported to have been cut nearly in half over Vista).

Me - I had to buy a new system recently and unfortunately had a couple of dud DOA computers right off the bat. Had to get a third one before I got one that didn't have defective hardware in it or a hard drive that died within two weeks of getting it. I've had to re-install my programs several times already in a short period, so the prospect of upgrading to Win7 and having to go through all of that again right now is too tiring. But my new (and now working) system has 6 gigs of DDR3 RAM and Vista runs just fine and fast on that. I'll for sure install service pack 2 though.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
OH! so that is what Vista offers that XP doesn't, angry users

Thank you for the clarification
clarification? there is none.

the reason XP is still used is thanks to third pary applications i bet if your beloved firefox, winamp, adobe, flash, office, photoshop, or the small little plug ins you can find stopped supporting XP so would you
an operating system with no programs is essentially garbage, and XP with no plug ins is GARBAGE!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
clarification? there is none.
Oh the wasted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers