U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:59 AM

4,791 posts, read 13,331,901 times

Advertisements

YAY! Vista SP2 coming out soon!

Microsoft Completes Work On Windows Vista SP2 -- InformationWeek

I'm hoping for a great improvement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 10:57 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post

But you have said that Vista is just great, and that everything is about it and applications that run on it is just perfect.

Or are you secretly saying that it may now become a viable, usable OS, which will requre 'great' improvements.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:32 PM

215 posts, read 538,929 times
Vista SP1 has been ok for me. I'm not saying it's been perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than most people say. But I will say this: You DO NEED RAM for it to be good. For me, I've got 8gb of RAM and a 3.8ghz processor. Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 runs perfectly on it. Though I'm waiting for Windows 7, which will be a 1000x improvement over Vista. Better memory management just to name one of the features.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:39 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
I seriously doubt your gonna see much of an improvement with SP2, but I suppose it's possible. As far as Windows 7, great OS! I'm running x64 on my 1.83Ghz laptop with only a gig of RAM and it performs just as well if not better than XP, no way I'd consider running Vista on it without more RAM. I do have 2 2GB sticks on the way for it, but W7 is staying.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:40 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,331,901 times
My Vista 64 Home Premium SP1 isn't coughing at 6gb DDR3 10666. 18 sets of tabbed browsers or so and flipping between Crysis is around a 4.7 GB load.

The improvements I'm looking for is the ability to install and play ALL of my OLD software, like video games...

Old 05-01-2009, 08:41 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,807,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
YAY! Vista SP2 coming out soon!

Microsoft Completes Work On Windows Vista SP2 -- InformationWeek

well, it certainly couldn't be any worse.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-02-2009, 02:30 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,228,741 times
I recently installed Vista SP2 and it appears to increase the performance of the OS. I suspect some of the performance enhancements in Windows 7 have been backported. Too bad the Vista brand is so tarnished because after 2 service packs it has actually become a very stable and usable OS.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:27 AM

526 posts, read 943,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I recently installed Vista SP2 and it appears to increase the performance of the OS. I suspect some of the performance enhancements in Windows 7 have been backported. Too bad the Vista brand is so tarnished because after 2 service packs it has actually become a very stable and usable OS.

right?!
i love vista.
its a shame its going to be skipped by many, i think it had to take one for the team in order for windows 7 to be as great as it is

Old 05-04-2009, 09:19 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
right?!
i love vista.
its a shame its going to be skipped by many, i think it had to take one for the team in order for windows 7 to be as great as it is
Really?
What is to love about Vista?

It launches programs, it manages the file system, it manages the hardware, and you interface with the "operating system" primarily to start programs and shut the system down. An operating system is a tool that is out of sight 99% of the time, is stable, and shouldn't nag.

Oh yea, and you get to play "mother may I?" with it frequently.

Aside from the 'mother may I' part, how is it functionally different than XP, what does it add that is 'just so great' that I am somehow depriving myself, aside from the fact I don't like "mother may I"?

Old 05-04-2009, 02:02 PM

526 posts, read 943,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Really?
What is to love about Vista?

It launches programs, it manages the file system, it manages the hardware, and you interface with the "operating system" primarily to start programs and shut the system down. An operating system is a tool that is out of sight 99% of the time, is stable, and shouldn't nag.

Oh yea, and you get to play "mother may I?" with it frequently.

Aside from the 'mother may I' part, how is it functionally different than XP, what does it add that is 'just so great' that I am somehow depriving myself, aside from the fact I don't like "mother may I"?
we clearly had this argument in another thread
so its not your cup of tea, well thats great quit posting how you hate vista,
i hate mac but im not bashing it every thread i get the chance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers