U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 04:30 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
Asheville I'm sympathetic to your sensitivity. And apologize for offending, but then you post angry things like the challenge to Coalman which makes me wonder if you aren't "Too" angry and offended. That is also an observation.
No, he posted a very negative comment with a very broad brush. His hypothesis may be valid in other venues, and on other forums, but completely out of line in this thread. Such and an erroneous statement must be challenged.

Or, I'm wrong and I am only asking for actual examples to support his accusations, or you can support his accusations with actual examples, it would end a lot of credibility to your support of his stance.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:43 PM

652 posts, read 1,602,091 times
Asheville,
I didn't support his stance. I do happen to agree that his posit is valid and occurs as he described it. My posting addressed your reaction, not his content.

Last edited by nutleynut; 05-01-2009 at 05:04 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 04:44 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
I'm still waiting on examples of this behavior myself, I don't recall seeing any such activity. There are the occasion SPAM posts, they are reported and removed when we find them. Please provide links to specific threads/posts to support your accusations.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:44 PM

Impression:a characteristic, trait or feature resulting from some influence.

OK? there is no specific post to point to. It was an impression I had, I posted as I guessed there would be a decent discussion on the matter.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:01 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
It's hard to have a discussion about something when you can provide no examples of what you want to discuss. You claim these posts that give you this impression are here, but you can't point us to them, see the problem?

Old 05-01-2009, 08:43 PM

28,645 posts, read 40,622,302 times
I believe I can give an example: me.

I have been in a few somewhat warm exchanges regarding Norton 2009 and the differing opinions of same. I think that my defense of the product could lead someone to believe I have an ulterior motive, and I do.

But my motive has nothing to do with selling anything, Norton included. I would hope, by now, that you would realize my stance is actually directed at recommending for or against any product without sufficient use or personal observation.

I do get a little uptight about it because I think this is a forum where we should help everyone and those recommendations that have no valid basis aren't helping anyone.

Other than that I don't see any trends or indications.

I do agree with coalman about the posters paid to do so, but I don't think we have seen much of that here. Those few spammers that try to slip in seem to get taken care of quickly.

All in all I find this to be one of the best tech forums around. Plenty of knowledge here, freely given and, on occassion, hotly debated. I have been in the tech field since 1982 and I learn new things here all the time. For that I thank you one and all since I firmly believe the day I stop learning is the day I might as well blow my brains out.

My hat is off to you.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:04 AM

I don't know what else to say. Asheville you seem to be personally offended by the very idea being brought up. Your reaction to Coalman's post also seemed personal and the reaction to both came across as angry out of proportion. I don't know what to do with that since I cannot see you to take in all the other factors of personal communication that one does so I cannot tell if it is anything other than what it apperas to be. It appears that I have stuck a pin in something that you hold dear.

NHDave I don't know how else to convey to you what impression means. The word itself indicates there is no specificity.

I am not looking for salesman or PR people on here. I would be surprised if someone answered "Yes I am". I was bringing up the subject to make others aware of my impression. I see that I am not the only untech on here and as I can be had, I know others can as well. I let down my gaurd and ended up buying some ram I can't even use because I was caught up in the good feeling that the free exchange of useful and not well known information gives a person. That mistake is not why I posted this, as I said it was an imression, that I had while waiting to fall asleep the other night.

My intent is to have the discussion in general to make public how we all feel about this one way or another and to make those who don't know better, think about the information they get here critically before putting it into action.

I am not against these people being on here as long as they are unambiguously open about it and do not provide false information, about the competition or tech stuff in general.

Last edited by nutleynut; 05-02-2009 at 10:31 AM..

Old 05-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,906 posts, read 33,648,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is a huge and growing industry industry in India and other places that employs 100's of thousands. They get paid to post, it's commonly referred to as "comment spam" and is an issue on forums, blogs and anywhere people can leave messages. It's very hard to identify because they may actually engage in conversations. This makes up the majority of the crap you find.

Larger companies have been known to do it as well but on a much more professional basis.
The mod team is aware of this and has ways of detecting it with tools that aren't available to members. I've seen enough of it that I can spot such posts on the forum without mod tools, because the members whose accounts exist to tout a product rarely discuss anything else!

If you're suspicious of a member's motivation for recommending something, take a look at their posting history and see what else they've posted about. If the answer is that they've posted about almost nothing else, use the "Report Post" button on one of the suspicious posts and tell a moderator.

I don't moderate this forum, but I read it frequently and post in it once in a while. I've never seen anything spammish or suspicious posted by anyone here who has more than a dozen posts.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:18 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
Your reaction to Coalman's post also seemed personal and the reaction to both came across as angry out of proportion.
I simply asked for proof, and in the same sentence made it clear that I felt he was completely wrong about this thread on this forum. To date none have been produced, but a diversion away from this thread about what is supposedly happening in other venues. The blunt truth is his post was crap, and I tend to call them as I see's them

Quote:
It appears that I have stuck a pin in something that you hold dear.
Your original post painted a very negative accusation with a very broad brush, and when asked for examples, you also have failed to provide a single example that has lead you to the conclusion any of the regulars here are selling something., or spamming you.

Yes, we have our preferences and dislikes of products, but those are just our opinions.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:18 PM

620 posts, read 1,884,489 times
I don't think you can live in a free capitalist society without having preferences, likes and dislikes of products and services. The very nature of competition creates a framework of economic division and choice between competing products and services. The more advanced the technocracy, the more complex the choices for consumers. Ergo, in any venue where there is ongoing discussion of specific types of products available for consumption, a dialectic is formed, as each participant brings both facts and opinions with them to the discourse. The dialectic is supposed to investigate the truth of the various opinions, and to separate fact from conjecture.

I think it is quite reasonable, as in the case of the OP, that one would associate a specific bias for or against a product or service with the possibility of an unstated agenda.

As for the possibility of there being "a huge and growing industry in India and other places that employs 100's of thousands" I am dubious. I know that there are zealots out there who want to tout their closed minded prejudices with unreasoned vigor, and probably an equal number of anti-zealot zealots with equally closed minded opposing views. On these forums, at least, it seems that such zealotry isn't tolerated and is considered to be rather juvenile behavior.

I think it is possible, however, that Microsoft may have engaged in the practice at some point in the past, but I don't know of any record of it. It's just my impression, having heard much about the company's past dirty tricks prior to the anti monopoly ruling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers