U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2009, 02:47 PM
 
28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Reputation: 37291

Advertisements

I think it is possible, however, that Microsoft may have engaged in the practice at some point in the past, but I don't know of any record of it.

Windows Outreach Team - MajorGeeks Support Forums

February, 2009

 
Old 05-02-2009, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Detroit Downriver
620 posts, read 1,883,993 times
Reputation: 403
Well, there you go. Perception is 9/10 reality. LOL
 
Old 05-02-2009, 03:49 PM
 
40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Reputation: 16755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Please provide actual examples of such activity in this forum, or quit posting crap that has nothing to do with anything that has occurred in this thread
Here's one: http://www.city-data.com/forum/7863002-post3.html

That specific one came also up on my own forum. $100 says the IP is from India as that is where the IP was from on my forum, you want to take that bet?

There was a recent example in this forum I reported it to the moderators and it's been removed.

FYI I run my own forum that is quite popular for many years now and I'm a moderator on phpbb.com so my experience with these issues is more than most to say the least. One of the things being a moderator there entails is devising ways to detect and stop spammers for possible future inclusion in the phpbb software so the average forum admin can go about his/her business.


---------edit---------

Here's Google's Cache of the one that was removed:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Note the elaborate setup and discussion, one week later on page two.... Bam there's the sales pitch and the link to the product.

http://74.125.93.132/search?sourceid...oftware-2.html

One reason this one is easy to spot is normal users rarely use text links.

Last edited by thecoalman; 05-02-2009 at 04:15 PM..
 
Old 05-02-2009, 04:07 PM
 
16,308 posts, read 25,264,005 times
Reputation: 8302
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Here's one: http://www.city-data.com/forum/7863002-post3.html

That specific one came also up on my own forum. $100 says the IP is from India as that is where the IP was from on my forum, you want to take that bet?
And it is a thread about "heating with coal" and the last post in the thread is 6 months old. This is relevant to this discussion exactly how? I really fail to see the connection. Anyone else?

Oh yea, the name resolves to an ISP in Houston Tx, PM me for where to send the $100, money order please.

Quote:
Pinging lincenergy.us [74.52.151.178]

Search ARIN WHOIS for: 74.52.151.178

OrgName: ThePlanet.com Internet Services, Inc.
OrgID: TPCM
Address: 315 Capitol
Address: Suite 205
City: Houston
StateProv: TX
PostalCode: 77002
Country: US
 
Old 05-02-2009, 04:23 PM
 
40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Reputation: 16755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Oh yea, the name resolves to an ISP in Houston Tx, PM me for where to send the $100, money order please.
The posters IP not the websites.

I edited my post above, you might want to check it out. Here it is in case you missed it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

FYI I run my own forum that is quite popular for many years now and I'm a moderator on phpbb.com so my experience with these issues is more than most to say the least. One of the things being a moderator there entails is devising ways to detect and stop spammers for possible future inclusion in the phpbb software so the average forum admin can go about his/her business.


---------edit---------

Here's Google's Cache of the one that was removed:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Note the elaborate setup and discussion, one week later on page two.... Bam there's the sales pitch and the link to the product.

http://74.125.93.132/search?sourceid...oftware-2.html

One reason this one is easy to spot is normal users rarely use text links.
 
Old 05-02-2009, 04:28 PM
 
16,308 posts, read 25,264,005 times
Reputation: 8302
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The posters IP not the websites. Most websites are hosted in the U.S. including those owned by overseas.
So, you're a moderator here and have visibility to posters IPs? Well share it with us Or was this a safe 'bluster' simply because you know that neither of us has any access to poster's IPs.

And you have completely ignored my question about how does a 6 month old post in a thread about heating with coal in any way relate to the discussion here?
 
Old 05-02-2009, 04:33 PM
 
40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Reputation: 16755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
So, you're a moderator here and have visibility to posters IPs?
I'm saying it came from India, I'm sure divulging that information would not be an issue as it's an entire country. Tell you what... I could probably send a moderator the exact IP of that post if you don't believe me as I said above I banned the same poster from my own forum
 
Old 05-02-2009, 04:35 PM
 
652 posts, read 1,601,584 times
Reputation: 346
I only asked, how many (if any) of you guys are salesmen or in PR. I wasn't aware that this question touches on a subject that has been around a while. The intensity of the opinions is surprising.
 
Old 05-02-2009, 04:39 PM
 
40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Reputation: 16755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And you have completely ignored my question about how does a 6 month old post in a thread about heating with coal in any way relate to the discussion here?
You asked for an example, that was the first one that popped into my head as it was response to one of my posts. The second one though is much better example.
 
Old 05-02-2009, 04:44 PM
 
16,308 posts, read 25,264,005 times
Reputation: 8302
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You asked for an example, that was the first one that popped into my head as it was response to one of my posts. The second one though is much better example.
And you had to link to cached pages, as obviously the moderators @CD are sweeping out the trash in a timely manner. I believe someone mentioned the good job they do deleting posts that are in violation of the TOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:32 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top