U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 08:09 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times

Advertisements

This post is more of an idea for the bargain hunters on what can happen when buying that great deal too good to pass up piece of equipment.
It’s been ages since I bought a laptop, I do IT/repair for a living so my last 3 laptops I have aquired by fixing ones that customers have left at my shop for scrap because they didn’t want to spend the money to fix them. My latest one was a behemoth of a Toshiba that was working perfectly until the LCD developed 15 verticle colored lines on the display, This "laptop" was huge, so rather than replace the LCD I started shopping for a good deal an a used laptop.

I happened upon a great deal at Tiger Direct, an HP business class laptop, the nc6400. This unit sold for around $1500 when new, core duo 1.83, 1GB RAM, 60GB SATA, BlueTooth, Finger print reader,802.11g, the works. The one I bought was a lease return for $299. I’m an HP reseller so I was familiar with thes units, very good laptops. So it arrived and I go to town, format & fresh install of Windows XP Pro, drivers, all my apps, seemed to work perfectly, until the next day when I discovered the battery wasn’t charging

After some trouble shooting I determined the logic board was at fault. Tiger Directs tech support said they wouldn’t fix it, only option I had was to send the unit back for a different one, which was a crapshoot as they obviously don’t check them very well before they sell them, Luckilly this unit was originally purchased with an extended warranty (which I had verified via HP’s support site), which was in effect till September. So HP sends one of their techs out and replaces the board, problem solved. Now that the battery charges I find out the battery that came with it has only about ¼ of it’s capacity

Batteries are not covered under warranty, so I have to buy a new battery. 3 weeks later the power adpater bites the big one HP warranty to the rescue again!

I had really wanted an x64 compatible laptop but couldn’t afford one, the logic board was x64 compatible but the installed core duo CPU wasn’t. I finally had some luck, as about 6 months ago I had got in a Sony all in one desktop with a smashed display, too much $$ for the repair so the customer said scrap it, inside was a Core 2 Duo 1.83 mobile CPU In it went, along with a fresh install of Windows 7 x64.

With only a gig of RAM I figured I’d max it out, ordered a pair of 2GB sticks from crucial, installed them, laptop wouldn’t boot turns out one of the sticks was bad. So I’m still waiting on the RMA replacements. I’m beginning to think this thing is cursed, but if the average non techie consumer had bought this thing, and it didn’t have the remainder of a warranty on it, they’d have a $300 paper weight.
For the actual cash I spent I got a great bargain, but it’s been an irritating trip getting it to it’s functioning state, so watch out for those great deals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 02:16 PM

620 posts, read 1,884,414 times
Looks like you saved it from the landfill so far. Good job!

Here's hoping you get lots of good use out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers