U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:23 AM

68 posts, read 243,985 times

Advertisements

I have been developing systems in Access for many years. I can't speak to the other apps in Office 2007, but the Access program is a step backwards, sort of like Vista. In addition to to the problems mentioned above, the user level security feature was eliminated. This is something that I use in almost every system. You can code your own, but it takes a lot of time. No wonder Mcrosoft had their first losing quarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 AM

4,607 posts, read 8,205,083 times
For home users - great option. Along with Thunderbird or something similar.

But for enterprises, the biggest issue is - No Exchange support. Which is a huge problem in many enterprises as Outlook/Exchange is the most popular email/calendar/collaboration tool used. Not to mention that this is part of an entire infrastructure. Its not just a productivity suite - but also a suite that is interconnected with your directory structure - i.e. Active directory.

Yea - there are alternatives.... but nothing really compares to Outlook/Exchange with the functionality it provides. Also, most Enterprises do not have the option to migrate away from Exchange/AD... so other clients that do not interface fully with MS Exchange/Active Directory is not a viable alternative.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:12 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,240,684 times
We used a lot of really huge excel spreadsheets and it was necessary to have multiple sheets open at the same time. We found in the new version that the spreadsheets would get stuck and if you wanted to switch from one to another it could take as long as 30 second.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:26 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,646,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
LOL it can still use file based databases. They did something funky to the VBA though (the script language you can use to build functionallity into all the Office applications). It is minor but invasive what ever it is. Everything looks right but doing a few key things no longer works like it should.
By doing something "funky," they actually changed the language being used. As you said, in 2003, it's called VBA. In 2007, they switched over to VB.NET and it does some wweeiiirddd things.

Almost none of my coding would start up or run correctly with. In order to get my stuff to work, I had to scrap my code and start over. Good thing I left notes.

The code issue and the Exchange Server issue were the major reasons why we don't plan on upgrading.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:31 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,648,435 times
Oh they totally switched it to VB.Net? Didn't realize (I develop in both if I have to). Guess I'm lucky more didn't break than just a few minor though annoying features.

Luckily right now I only have 4-5 computers that use 07. It is going to get worse though so I really need to address it soon.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:22 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,646,956 times
It's still called VBA, but they changed it to work like VB.NET to be more functional in "today's expanding world" or some malarkey like that. Next time, a little warning would be nice.

Good thing we convinced the "big wigs" that changing over to Office 2007 when we get new computers would put our command in the toilet as far as functionality. ((We're finally getting Visual Studio, though!))

Old 05-06-2009, 09:35 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,307,443 times
we've got three new machines w/ office 2007, and i HATE it.

I haven't had the time to get used to the new interface, and its just taking too long to get around in it.

the worst part is working on files that were created in office 2003. i've had a lot of problems importing older documents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or