U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 06:45 PM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times

Advertisements

From Microsoft

Windows 7 Release Candidate Announcement

Thank you very much for your help in testing the Windows 7 Beta. Your feedback is invaluable in helping make Windows 7 a high quality operating system. With your help, we have reached the next major milestone on the journey to Windows 7: the Release Candidate (RC).

On April 30th, the RC became available to MSDN subscribers and TechNet Plus subscribers.

On Tuesday, May 5 (PST) {Ahem - my birthday}, the RC will be available to everyone via our Customer Preview Program. As with the Beta, the Windows 7 RC Customer Preview Program is a broad public program that offers the RC free to anyone who wants to download it. It will be available at least through June 30, 2009, with no limits on the number of downloads or product keys available.

So you don’t need rush to make sure you get your copy. When you’re ready to download the RC, it’ll be waiting for you.

To get the RC please use one of the following links:

-
Developers
-
IT Pros/Microsoft Partners
-
Tech Enthusiasts/Consumers

IMPORTANT: If you are running Windows 7 Beta you’ll need to back up your data (preferably on an external device) and then do a clean install of the Windows 7 Release Candidate. After installing Windows 7, you will need to reinstall applications and restore your files. If you need help with the installation process, please see the Installation Instructions.

If you’re running Windows Vista, you can install Window 7 RC without having to back up and reinstall your programs and data. But to be on the safe side, please do backup your data before you start.

Please note: All users of the Windows 7 Release Candidate (including Windows Vista users who have upgraded to the Release Candidate) must do a clean installation of Windows 7 RTM. Please keep this is mind as you consider downloading the Release Candidate as opposed to waiting for the general availability release.

Thanks again for your help in reaching this important milestone. We hope that you will join us in testing the RC and finishing Windows 7!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 07:59 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times
I got it off Technet last week. So far so good. I just wish I has an extra PC that's Aero capable to test it on since that's some of the best improvements in my opinion. It runs about as well as XP does on the old Sony ultraportable I have it installed on with 1GB of RAM and the slowest hard drive known to man.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:10 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Using x64 of the RC on my laptop as the only OS, Core 2 Duo 1.83 with 1GB RAM (upgrade on the way to 4GB), it's faster than XP, Aero working perfectly, can actually sync my Windows Mobile phone via BlueTooth which I could never get to work with XP.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:16 PM

526 posts, read 942,682 times
ill have to ask this on here since no one has responded to my thread, by any chance do we know if windows meeting space will be available in windows 7 and is this release candidate professional or ultimate?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:26 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times
The RC is ultimate. I have no idea about meeting space as I've never had a need to look for it.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:21 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
I seem to remember reading that it was discontinued, but don't quote me on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or