Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 02:03 PM

375 posts, read 1,576,288 times

Advertisements

Can you install dual monitors if you have only one plug for a monitor in the back of your computer? I'm thinking there might be some kind of an adaptor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 02:11 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
As a general rule, you need a video card capable of supporting dual monitors. Some computers do it better than others. I've had trouble setting up dual monitors on some older machines, but new computers with good video cards will nearly always support dual monitors.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:06 PM

375 posts, read 1,576,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
As a general rule, you need a video card capable of supporting dual monitors. Some computers do it better than others. I've had trouble setting up dual monitors on some older machines, but new computers with good video cards will nearly always support dual monitors.
So if the video card has only one plug does that mean that it's not capable of supporting dual monitors?

Old 05-05-2009, 04:26 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
So if the video card has only one plug does that mean that it's not capable of supporting dual monitors?
Generally yes, you can use a splitter if all you want is a duplicate display, same image and resolution on each monitor. To obtain true dual monitor you need a new graphics card that supports it, a second graphics card if you have a free slot or a USB to VGA adapter
Newegg.com - StarTech USB VGA Mini External Dual or Multi Monitor Video Adapter USB2VGAE VGA Interface - TV Tuners & Video Devices

There are Graphics cards that have a single connector that are actually dual monitor cards, but you'd know if you had one because they come with a special splitter cable.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:40 PM

534 posts, read 2,408,063 times
My Dell computer at work only has one plug on the back of it, but supports 2 monitors. Its a dvi (i think) dual video out however. And the computer came with an adapter to run either 2 digital monitors, or 1 digital and and 1 vga, which is what i do. If your computer has one regular vga connection, its made for 1 monitor. (like someone said you can get run 2 monitors with a splitter or something, but usually peopl want 2 unique desktops). I know i cant work without 2 nowadays.
You may be able to put any other video card you have lying around into the computer and if the drivers jive, this will work too. I have this setup running on one of my crappy computers here at home.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:40 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
My Dell computer at work only has one plug on the back of it, but supports 2 monitors. Its a dvi (i think) dual video out however. . .

We probably have something similar; I have dell computers at the office w/ dual monitors on them, but its not a DVI like what's on back of your monitor or TV. Its a much larger port, and the adapter has two DVI outs.

We run ours through KVM switches for dual monitor/dual computer at each desk.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,870 times
Anyone had success using your laptop with dual monitors through a docking station?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:03 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
With the screens on the laptop and an external monitor, yes.
With 2 monitors, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers