Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:38 PM

526 posts, read 1,058,189 times

Advertisements

so some one in the house decided to try to go ahead without me knowing install another power supply, now all that happens is the fans spin, but the power light, hard-drive dont do anything, im pretty sure i know whats wrong, but is the board shot for good? ( id like to use it since its em64t)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 04:37 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
so some one in the house decided to try to go ahead without me knowing install another power supply, now all that happens is the fans spin, but the power light, hard-drive dont do anything, im pretty sure i know whats wrong, but is the board shot for good? ( id like to use it since its em64t)
Not enough information to give an intelligent answer. Why was the power supply replaced? Was the PC working before that?

Old 05-08-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Not enough information to give an intelligent answer. Why was the power supply replaced? Was the PC working before that?
no, the power supply was failing, but i went ahead and bought the supply i know how to do it but some one else decided to hook it up.
so now we are left with 2 computers instead of 3

Old 05-08-2009, 05:00 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
And it's the proper 20/24 pin connector, with the extra 4 pin plugged in if needed? So you hit the power button and all you get are which fans? No power lights?

Old 05-08-2009, 05:20 PM

[quote=NHDave;8720084]And it's the proper 20/24 pin connector, with the extra 4 pin plugged in if needed? So you hit the power button and all you get are which fans? No power lights?[/QUO
hmmm... i better check again
but yes all i get is the fans

Old 05-12-2009, 06:34 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,946,937 times
A thought - Different MBs need different juice. Are you sure the new battery is pumping enough juice required by the MB?

And another thought. I know from experience that connecting all those small pin connectors, those real small four female pin guys hanging off the power supply which plug into the MB proper and not any peripherals, connecting them back onto the MB in the proper location/pin number is a real pain. My roommate had the same problem as you, fans but no LEDs and I had him redo the wiring and that was it.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:04 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
A thought - Different MBs need different juice. Are you sure the new battery is pumping enough juice required by the MB?

And another thought. I know from experience that connecting all those small pin connectors, those real small four female pin guys hanging off the power supply which plug into the MB proper and not any peripherals, connecting them back onto the MB in the proper location/pin number is a real pain. My roommate had the same problem as you, fans but no LEDs and I had him redo the wiring and that was it.

HUH?

Have you actually replaced a power supply?

Old 05-12-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
HUH?

Have you actually replaced a power supply?
Jackanapes. Pardon me for being nice. Pardon me for just dropping thru and dropping advice. I'm sorry I didnt throw open the case of my comp before posting and I'm sorry I didnt prepare an abstract or dissertation for you, my friend Ashville. Sorry my lack of links. You are so smart to call me out on my hardware mistakes while obviously so schooled on the matter yet still an ingrate to my helpful intentions. Do you just criticize. You didn't post anything on this subject. Troll like behavior if I have ever seen. Do you lurk around waiting to jump on a thread after someone makes a mistake?

*exhale* To the OP. Check all the 2 pin connectors or four pin connectors, whatever, check wires that come off the power button of the tower case into the MB (and speaking of, everything else from the tower which plugs into the MB). x2 check all the dip switches and make sure they are correct. And again, x2 check everything plugged into the motherboard, make sure they are connected into the right numbered pins.

After that, understand power supplies: "If you are building a brand new system, anything under 400 watts simply won't cut it. SLI, multiple hard drives/optical drives, case lighting, and especially overclocking significantly raise this number. A general rule of thumb is that one should purchase the nicest power supply he or she can afford. The power supply should be the highest priority when choosing components; if working with a set budget, invest in the power supply and compromise elsewhere." : How to Buy a Computer Power Supply at Xoxide!

They sell power supplies 400, 500, 800+ for a reason:

400 watt atx power supply
Spire Rocketeer 500 Watt Power Supply
800 Watt Power Supply: Information from Answers.com

I'm just saying and trying to help. So next time Ashville, try to be less confrontational and in my face; be a little more on the side of helpful please.

Last edited by mossomo; 05-12-2009 at 11:46 PM..

Old 05-13-2009, 12:01 AM

the board is shot! they confessed to seeing a spark.
after several power supplies i have arrived to the fact its done, but thats ok i did some research and the processor is compatible with my other pc board, so i took it out, used hitsink glue and wallah!! its working in that one so its a win/ loose situation at least i can use em64t soo... thank you guys for the help i do appreciate it

Old 05-13-2009, 12:20 AM

Awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers