U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:05 PM

6,758 posts, read 6,744,094 times
Default Getting data from old hard drive....

Okay I am not very good with computers at all, but am trying to figure out how to do something rather than paying Geek Squad $100 to do it for me.

I had an HP computer that crashed. We decided to buy a new computer rather than fixing the old one because it was 7 years old.

I have been trying to figure out how to retrieve my music and photos from the old hard drive. So far, I have removed the hard drive from the old PC and thats it.

I keep reading things like "slave it into the new PC and then just drag them over". That is where I get lost. I looked up the owner's manual on the hard drive (barracuda 7200.7) and found that by removing a jumper, it puts it into slave mode. So now that I have the old hard drive set for slave mode, I do not know where to go. My understanding is that I simply take the side off my new PC and there should be a way to plug it right in. Are there special connectors that I need to do this? I have no idea where to plug it in on the new one. After I do get it plugged in, how will I find the data on it?

Again, I don't know much about computers, so when replying try not to go over my head with the language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 08:12 PM

Also, I thought about getting a new hard drive for the old PC just to have it as a back up, but didn't know how much $$$ I might end up spending. Can you buy a new hard drive for relatively cheap and install an operating system for cheap? I don't know much about Linux and other applications at all, but saw that you can download operating systems from them for free. Good idea or not?

Old 05-10-2009, 08:49 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,134,923 times
Your old computer has EIDE drives, and I feel certain that your new computer has SATA drives, and that there is no EIDE interface in your new computer to slave your old drive to.

I'm sending you a link rig that will allow you to do this externally to your computer using USB in a PM (don't want to step on any TOS toes )

Old 05-10-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Your old computer has EIDE drives, and I feel certain that your new computer has SATA drives, and that there is no EIDE interface in your new computer to slave your old drive to.

I'm sending you a link rig that will allow you to do this externally to your computer using USB in a PM (don't want to step on any TOS toes )

This must be what my father in law was referring to yesterday when I asked him about it. He mentioned that if I needed to plug it in by USB to let him know and he probably has the parts I need to do so. I looked up the specs on my new computer and it does have a SATA drive, not that I know what that means, lol. But apparently this does mean that taking my Dell apart and trying to connect the old hard drive in slave mode will not work, right?

Old 05-10-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
This must be what my father in law was referring to yesterday when I asked him about it. He mentioned that if I needed to plug it in by USB to let him know and he probably has the parts I need to do so. I looked up the specs on my new computer and it does have a SATA drive, not that I know what that means, lol. But apparently this does mean that taking my Dell apart and trying to connect the old hard drive in slave mode will not work, right?
Correct!

EIDE is the technology used in hard drives for a number of years. Uses a 40 pin connector. SATA is a newer and faster technology and has been the new standard for a couple of years now. Completely different technology and connectors.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:18 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,140,384 times
What about this: rather than making the old drive a slave or physically hooking it up inside your new computer, get an external hard drive enclosure, put the old drive in it, and hook the external into a USB port on your new computer. I did that, twice actually, with old computer hard drives. I purchased Mad Dog brand external enclosures, each about $30 if I remember correctly, and my new computer sees these old drives - it's easy to use "save as" or simply drag files from one drive to another.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:28 AM

6,169 posts, read 4,698,086 times
I've used Sabrent external hard disk enclosures several times and in several configurations and found them to be good units and often lower priced than others. I usually check TigerDirect.com and Newegg.com first.

Of course, if the PC crash was caused by a hard disk failure, the external enclosure will not help.

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-11-2009 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: afterthought (I thought of it after I posted.)

Old 05-11-2009, 08:45 AM

18,733 posts, read 20,510,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I've used Sabrent external hard disk enclosures several times and in several configurations and found them to be good units and often lower priced than others. I usually check TigerDirect.com and Newegg.com first.

Of course, if the PC crash was caused by a hard disk failure, the external enclosure will not help.

My first thought.

Your PC might have an IDE connector on the motherboard. It is becoming less common, but some still have both IDE and SATA.

I agree with USB and external though. A lot less hassle. I believe that you want the drive set to CS or Master in an external USB. Haven't done one in quite a while, but I'll wager someone here knows.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:17 AM

1,887 posts, read 4,803,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
My first thought.

Your PC might have an IDE connector on the motherboard. It is becoming less common, but some still have both IDE and SATA.
Mine does. It wouldn't hurt to check. It would save you from buying any more parts.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Not necessarily true, If the 'failure' is actually the corruption of critical OS files then the system won't boot from the drive but the data may well be 100% intact.

Now if it is making strange noises, not recognized by the BIOS, etc., it may well be toast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers