U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 09:03 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,127,571 times

Advertisements

I have done troubleshooting and cant fix the problem so it looks like..
A re-install may be in order.
I cant use restore because it had been turned off in settings.
I have no windows disc but can create a restore dvd(2 disc's)
Can i burn my music files to dvd (about 15G of music)would..
I have to convert the files to another format to take less space?data?

Wish i knew more about computers im afraid there will be an issue..
While im trying to re-install or restore and i ll be stuck without a PC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 11:05 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Get a USB hard drive and throw all of your important files on there before you reformat. That'll make backups easier in the future too. You don't need to convert anything. Just drag and drop.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:32 AM

11,727 posts, read 11,309,113 times
If you can created restore DVD's, using those would probably be a reasonable way to get your machine running well again.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:35 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,267,295 times
What format is your music in? If this is music your ripped from your CD's, then your good. If it is purchased from the iTunes store and in protected format, or encrypted with "fairplay" which means it won't play on your new computer.

FairPlay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't offer any practical experience, as I simply refuse to purchase crippled goods.

I also second EC's suggestion to purchase an external HD, a great way to backup your stuff.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:42 AM

I don't know about FairPlay, but iTunes crippled music can be played on the new computer. The first time he tries to play one in iTunes, he'll be prompted for his iTunes email address and password to authorize that computer.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:49 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,267,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I don't know about FairPlay, but iTunes crippled music can be played on the new computer. The first time he tries to play one in iTunes, he'll be prompted for his iTunes email address and password to authorize that computer.
Good to know, like I said, no practical experience, as I don't have an iTunes account/password, and no DRM protected content on my computers.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Good to know, like I said, no practical experience, as I don't have an iTunes account/password, and no DRM protected content on my computers.
Yeah me neither but I've had to deal with it on other people's computers.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:08 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,127,571 times
All my music files were ripped from CD and are DRM free.
Hopefully i can put my drivers,(soundcard,wireless card)on disc...
Before i reinstall.
I have a button below my power/off button does that reset the PC?
Sorry im a PC noob

Old 05-11-2009, 12:11 PM

The restore DVDs you created using a utility that came with your computer will include everything you need to get the computer back to factory conditions. That includes Windows, drivers, and all the bloatware they included. Drivers for anything that didn't come with your computer (like a printer) can be downloaded from the manufacturer's web site. The button below your power button could be a reset button but it doesn't do anything other than restart your computer. It doesn't reformat your computer or reinstall anything.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:48 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,305,327 times
You can certainly move DRM protected songs from iTunes from one computer to another.

I've done it at least three or four times now.

Before you do a reinstall, open itunes and de-authorize your computer. Once you get it running again, transfer your files back in and authorize your new setup through iTunes.

If you cannot do this, you can go to apple's website and do an authorization reset. You'll have to search through the support page to find the link @ apple.com

I don't think anyone would pay money for songs that can never be moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or