U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-15-2009, 04:44 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,068,612 times
Default Where to purchase MacBook or MacBook Pro

My daughter is required to have a MacBook or MacBook Pro at her college in the fall. For good or bad, I've been a MS guy since DOS. So where does one get the best deal on Macs? Can they only be purchased at Apple Stores? I was surprised the "Sticky" at the top of the page didn't include any info on Macs, but for one post. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 05-21-2009 at 07:50 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,414 posts, read 20,502,148 times
If your state has high sales taxes, you can save a few $$$ by buying online from a reseller in another state. Otherwise, Apple exerts fairly tight controls on the price of new Macs, so the prices at brick-and-mortar retailers like Best Buy or Fry's won't be any lower than the prices at the Apple Store. Any dealer that fails to stick to Apple's official pricing won't be a dealer for long.

Another way to save a few $$$ on Macs is to buy a refurbished Mac from the Apple Store online. Assuming there are Apple Store locations in your state, you will have to pay sales tax on the purchase.

If she's going to a large university, she might be able to purchase at an academic discount through the school's store. These discounts aren't as big as they used to be and unless the state she's in has no sales tax, there would be sales tax on the purchase. I remember saving hundreds of dollars doing this when I was in school, but I have heard that's no longer the case.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:01 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,353,441 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
My daughter is required to have a Mac Book or Mac Book Pro at her college in the fall. For good or bad, I've been a MS guy since DOS. So where does one get the best deal on Macs? Can they only be purchased at Apple Stores? I was surprised the "Sticky" at the top of the page didn't include any info on Macs, but for one post. Thanks in advance.

This is an area where I have very little knowledge
I happened to read this on the boards, and thought Thrift Shops?
yard sales....
Couldn't hurt to try

Old 05-15-2009, 05:45 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,068,612 times
Thanks folks. I figured Apple had a tight grip on pricing. Yes, high tax rate so I could save $100 or so in sales tax and and there is a 10% University discount. One of the other threads indicated that the refurbished ones are outrageously priced for a refurb. Gotta go with new as well. They also require Smart Pens and Notebooks.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:31 PM

8,958 posts, read 7,737,499 times
Quote:
One of the other threads indicated that the refurbished ones are outrageously priced for a refurb.
There is a term in manufacturing called "defects per thousand" that
means for every product some will be defective and need repair. Those
that get repaired get a FULL bench testing that regular production mac's
don't which makes them very good computers since the early hour bugs
are eliminated when you get the mac.

I've bought 4 mac's over the years that are Apple refurbs (they come
with a full new warranty) and have NEVER had a failure on those machines.

The one new mac I bought puked it's guts after just 8 months of use!!!!!

I lost two to lighting hits when I was on dial up but the others are still
working just fine after years of daily office abuse. It just don't get better
than that!

Don't be afraid of Refurbs 'cause they offer max use for less money.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:23 PM

621 posts, read 1,304,942 times
Tightwad has got it right.

If you don't mind the concept of buying refurb, you'll do well to pony up at the Apple Store. There you'll generally get a 13% to 30% break on the price over the same system new. All refurbs carry the same warranty as a new one and are eligible for extended warranty, just like the new ones. When you get into the 1st Store page look in the left hand column close to the bottom. Notice that under "Special Deals" there's "Refurbished Mac," "Refurbished iPod" and "Clearance." Take note that clearance is last years discontinued items. They are new and untouched, but discontinued. Refurbished items can be discontinued, but can also be current generation. When shopping this outlet, just compare the refurb to the product listed in the main section of the store to be sure of what you're getting.

Another source that I used to use is Small Dog Electronics and MacMall. MacMall usually bundles to discount through added value, and with Small Dog you'll find the occasional bargain.

There are lots of Apple retailers online. Some of them are very confusing to sort through the various products. Be sure and figure out what you want through Apple, then buy where you want. Good luck!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:31 PM

2,620 posts, read 7,320,873 times
Quote:
My daughter is required to have a Mac Book or Mac Book Pro at her college in the fall. For good or bad, I've been a MS guy since DOS. So where does one get the best deal on Macs? Can they only be purchased at Apple Stores? I was surprised the "Sticky" at the top of the page didn't include any info on Macs, but for one post. Thanks in advance.
You have a few options since she is a student.

First determine your budget and the applications that she needs.

Mac Mall sells Macbooks at good prices and they bundle software with it.

Since your daughter is a student, she can buy from the Apple website. You can customize everything that you want on the notebook. There are certain things that they add like a printer, iPod or something else + a discount. Tax has to be paid but shipping is free.

Amazon sells the notebooks with no tax or shipping but you cannot 'customize it' and you have to purchase software separately. However, the cost of software is priced less + free shipping/no tax.

--
I purchased everything from Amazon.com, personally, but would have also purchased from Mac Mall if I knew it existed. I didn't learn about Mac Mall until I bought a copy of Mac Life.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:49 PM

4,679 posts, read 7,621,767 times
Another chime for Apple refurb's... all the positives, no negs, plus lower cost and 100% check.

Not been mentioned, but I would also acquire AppleCare, IMHO it's worth it - esp. a laptop.

PS: I edited both your title and OP, as Mac Books = books about Macs, whereas MacBooks = Apple laptops...

Old 05-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,414 posts, read 20,502,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Another chime for Apple refurb's... all the positives, no negs, plus lower cost and 100% check.

Not been mentioned, but I would also acquire AppleCare, IMHO it's worth it - esp. a laptop.
To the above I would add that all refurbs are not created equal. I've owned 4 Apple Store refurbs and they each survived for the ~5 years I kept them. I've had one reseller refurb that failed after 2 years.

I buy AppleCare about 50% of the time, but am doing so less frequently on refurbs, since I have yet to have an AppleCare service job.

My parents had AppleCare on a new iBook and used it to cover two $400+ main board replacements.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:50 PM

3,832 posts, read 7,727,479 times
Quote:
My daughter is required to have a MacBook or MacBook Pro at her college in the fall. For good or bad, I've been a MS guy since DOS. So where does one get the best deal on Macs? Can they only be purchased at Apple Stores? I was surprised the "Sticky" at the top of the page didn't include any info on Macs, but for one post. Thanks in advance.
Wow...you're seriously saying the college requires your daughter to have a specific brand and model of computer....that's amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers