Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 10:41 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times

Advertisements

I currently have a HP 6005 Pro desktop, small form, I have 500 speed internet service that is pretty reliable, but certain websites I frequent, appear to make the computer fan run much higher/faster

Facebook was like this awhile, so I dont use it that much anymore, now Amazon Prime is starting to do it, to the point where it keeps stopping the movie Im watching (buffering), about every 20 seconds or so, VERY annoying!

When Im here on CD, I cannot even hear the computer running, its very quiet, but as soon I go to some other website, certain ones, the computer will start to speed up, Ive tried looking at apps running in the background, but from what I see, there isnt any running, and I generally only keep 1 window up at a time

I only paid around $250 for the HP desktop (computer only), Im wondering what kind of computer I should get if I want to avoid all the buffering during movies and certain websites? (Im guessing one with more memory? or one with more 'cores'?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 11:29 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Popped the case?

Family member had one of those cheapo computers, no idea what it was. They also had dogs and it sat on the carpet. No dust filters Fixed in about 5 minutes with a screw driver, vacuum cleaner, and some compressed air. Seriously disgusting. Put it on a piece of wood and told them to clean it out every six months or so.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:40 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
When Im here on CD, I cannot even hear the computer running, its very quiet, but as soon I go to some other website, certain ones, the computer will start to speed up, Ive tried looking at apps running in the background, but from what I see, there isnt any running, and I generally only keep 1 window up at a time
If it's in Chrome, that has it's own task manager. It sounds like it may be website related. It may help to clear cache or completely reset the browser if necessary.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:04 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Which fan are we talking about here? It's very odd that ANY site will cause a fan to spin faster...let's start there. Start with Mally's suggestion (my new nickname for ya, bud! LOL j/k). Take a look inside.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:32 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,531 times
with more people home the web is slower at times...make sure to blow out with air the heat sink fins..it is unusual for high noise/fan speed from simply surfing the web..

just what are specs...ram cpu ?

Old 05-17-2021, 06:28 PM

666 posts, read 422,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Which fan are we talking about here? It's very odd that ANY site will cause a fan to spin faster...let's start there. Start with Mally's suggestion (my new nickname for ya, bud! LOL j/k). Take a look inside.
This is actually not all that odd, I have observed it many times over the years. Generally they are laptops, but more importantly, as others in the thread point out, the device is encumbered with airflow blocking dust. It all comes to a head when one visits any "typical" commercial website which is jam packed with javascript doing things way above and beyond the basics of just displaying a static page.

Two solutions: stop the javascript scurge, you'll save your sanity too as a bonus.

Or get a stronger, quieter computer to donate processor cycles to all those trackers, session recorders and interactive advertisements.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:20 PM

I do clean the front and rear vents pretty often as well as the rear fan, when I looked up how to open up the case, all the websites mentioned a pull tab on the top of the computer, (towards the rear), but mine has no pull tab thing, the top is all one piece.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:05 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
This is actually not all that odd, I have observed it many times over the years.
I'm going to disagree there. I have been in IT support for over 30 years. I am naturally the tech support of my friends and family, as well.
Very very very very very few websites are going to create any significant load on the processor of any modern PC. I don't care how much java script is running on it.
Maybe a website that serves video.
Also disagree with the often mentioned "dust can kill a PC" comments that are frequently thrown out. I have seen some dust filled computers in my life. Dust can certainly cause problems, however, dust in and of itself is a poor insulator. A fan may have every fin coated in dust, but it is still pushing air. Even a vent that looks totally covered is still allowing air to pass. Dust certainly can cause over heating issues, but it is rare. So rare, in fact, that I have never once seen an instance where cleaning the inside of a PC fixed whatever is wrong with it.

To OP's question, OP hasn't answered: which fan? Is it the fan ON the processor, or the fan on the back of the power supply? Or is it a case fan? The most common fan failure it the power supply and it's also the easiest to hear when it starts failing. I doubt it is the one ON the processor because these are very hard to hear unless they are failing. If it is the processor, dusting it isn't going to help.

The "computer fan" is not enough to go on.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:19 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Well known fact that is something kicks up the CPU, the fan will kick in to compensate and keep things cool. It's by design. Once the high CPU usage goes back down, so should the fan.

If nothing obvious shows up in the Windows Task Manager, then I would look within the browser. So yes, it can be a certain website or extension that misbehaves. Youtube does this on occasion, I KNOW this, it happens to me once in a while. I wouldn't doubt that other sites like Facebook also cause problems.

And no, it's not a dirty fan or vent or at least I doubt that's the OP's problem.

This info is for chrome. If it's another browser, I'm sure the OP can find help for that.

How to Fix High CPU Usage in Google Chrome
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/fix-...ome-77171.html

How to determine why Google Chrome is using a lot of memory or CPU
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tut...memory-or-cpu/

Old 05-18-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Well known fact that is something kicks up the CPU, the fan will kick in to compensate and keep things cool. It's by design. Once the high CPU usage goes back down, so should the fan.

If nothing obvious shows up in the Windows Task Manager, then I would look within the browser. So yes, it can be a certain website or extension that misbehaves. Youtube does this on occasion, I KNOW this, it happens to me once in a while. I wouldn't doubt that other sites like Facebook also cause problems.

And no, it's not a dirty fan or vent or at least I doubt that's the OP's problem.

This info is for chrome. If it's another browser, I'm sure the OP can find help for that.

How to Fix High CPU Usage in Google Chrome
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/fix-...ome-77171.html

How to determine why Google Chrome is using a lot of memory or CPU
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tut...memory-or-cpu/
Its weird, I can go to Facebook or some other website (that causes it to starting speeding up)...I can hear it speed up, then click on Googles main page, and within seconds the speed begins to drop, the sound level is very noticeable.

As far as I can remember, none of my past computers have done this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers