U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 06:33 PM

28,673 posts, read 40,872,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Well, if they're classifying AVG Free as malware, then all I can say to you is, good luck with that.
Ditto. Ex-military or not that is very bad advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 06:34 PM

28,673 posts, read 40,872,609 times
Quote:
Makes you wonder about what?
What the heck caused you all that grief!!

Old 05-24-2009, 11:25 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,339,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Which version? I ask because I never get any pop-ups or notices from my NIS V2009. I spent the first couple of weeks checking on it because I thought it wasn't working.
I don't know what version. Its fairly new; maybe 7 months old. It kept giving me pop-up alerts telling me I needed to download the newest version. So I assume its one back from what's out now.

Quote:
Ditto. Ex-military or not that is very bad advice.
The conversation came up over several problems I had w/ AVG free before purchasing mcaffee for my home computer. I'm no expert on the matter; just passing along what I was told by the company that works on our machines.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:38 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,116,092 times
There's a new program called Panda Cloud Antivirus, but I haven't tried it yet. They make it sound good, though.

BTW, viruses and malware are completely different critters. If these military guys are calling one as the other (or vice versa,) they are mistaken and the guys here are on the money.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
BTW, viruses and malware are completely different critters. If these military guys are calling one as the other (or vice versa,) they are mistaken and the guys here are on the money.
They're saying AVG invites malware into the system. They give you the free version, and you have to buy the pay version to get rid of the stuff the free version let in.

It happened on my system at home.

And another program identified AVG free as malware.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:01 AM

10,764 posts, read 18,131,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
They're saying AVG invites malware into the system. They give you the free version, and you have to buy the pay version to get rid of the stuff the free version let in.

There is malware out there that will disable just about ANY AV app you can install, including Norton, Trend Micro, etc. Targeting AVG Free as being weak because of this just shows how much they DON'T know. I constantly get machines in my shop infected with crap even though they have current security software installed, that's the way it is, some of this stuff is very sophisticated.

And which program Id's AVG as malware?

It's poor surfing habits, lack of common sense, and inattention that usually invite malware into your computer, blaming your AV solution is like the mechanic blaming his tools because he can't get his car running.

Last edited by NHDave; 05-25-2009 at 07:11 AM..

Old 05-25-2009, 07:03 AM

10,764 posts, read 18,131,965 times
Quote:
What the heck caused you all that grief!!
NIS 2009 caused the grief, as I already explained. Every issue disappeared after removal of NIS.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:30 AM

11,971 posts, read 11,434,445 times
Quote:
opinions, opinions.

i'll trust ex-military IT pro's over an internet forum user.

no offense.
There are plenty of IT pro's using this forum. AVG is NOT malware.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:19 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,116,092 times
Quote:

There is a lot of stuff floating around out there that looks promising, but is not the real thing. I'd want to know exactly there this stuff came from. I don't think it came from Nortons.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:

It's poor surfing habits, lack of common sense, and inattention that usually invite malware into your computer, blaming your AV solution is like the mechanic blaming his tools because he can't get his car running.

I have about 10 websites that I visit. I don't know where the bug came from. Your trying to blame something on me by saying I don't know what I'm doing. Don't be such an a$$hole.

I don't see the need in arguing this. I'm telling you what I experienced and what I was told. You might as well be arguing with a wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers