U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:59 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,844,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
Hey everybody, could we get back to the main question please?

I still would like to know if anybody can recommend a few good websites with some ranking and some costumer opinions so that I can do some resarch before making my choice.

Thank you!!!!
This might give you a good start.

Google (search for "antivirus" and "rankings")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 03:12 PM

28,673 posts, read 40,926,917 times
Check the PC magazine and PC World magazine sites.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:45 AM

176 posts, read 586,760 times
I am thinking about going from Mcafee to Avast Antivirus.

I chose Mcafee one year ago, because some esteemed review (Cnet, Pc magazine or the like) said that it was the best AV, for anti-Spyware protection included - without all that other stuff like Spyware Sweeper and friends.

It has served me well, and I am thinking now of Avast because some people reccomended it, on this thread and others.

Has anyone made the move from Mcafee to Avast and felt it well, is my question? I appreciate how all that voice notification stuff is nice, with Avast, but plan to turn it off - has anyone a noted experience to share ?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:53 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,123,865 times
My wife had this computer before I "inherited" it from her. It had McAfee on it and I changed it to Avast. I knew free AV's were just as good as paid ones, because I've read a lot of messages from geek types who I trust.

I haven't taken time to figure out how that message is taken out, the one that tells me Avast has been updated or whatever... Let me see: OK, right click Avast icon> click program settings> click sounds> click Disable avast sounds. That can come in handy, especially if you run into a bad critter when somebody else is trying to sleep, for sure.

My wife decided she wanted a paid program on her new computer but finally came around to my way of thinking.

Another thing, you don't have to download a separate program as a firewall. Also, there is the VRDB -- check that out. I'd make sure my computer was nice and clean before telling it, "Generate VRDB, now!" First, check out "What is avast VRDB" and it will tell you more than you want to know.

BTW, I have a couple of other little programs as a bit of backup. One is Threatfire, a program that doesn't conflict with Avast or any other AV I know of. And there is a little bit of insurance with KeyScrambler, in case a trojan should ever sneak in, copy your keystrokes, and call home.

Even better would be Linux. I'll soon be getting a bigger HD, and after that, I'll have room for a dual boot, with both Mint and MS. Not many worries about the bad critters with Linux! But I just want to keep up with what is going on with MS, which is the only reason I want to keep it. Besides, after awhile, I forget stuff, and find it harder to tell people stuff if I can't remember it.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:45 PM

6,368 posts, read 14,235,364 times
And I thought the automotive forum was the only one that had uh... disagreements LOL.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:32 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,398,629 times
I have been using Norton for over 12 years, never a problem. I did hear that the 360 slows down your computer bigtime. The recommended version is just Norton Internet Security 2009.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:02 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,477,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I have been using Norton for over 12 years, never a problem. I did hear that the 360 slows down your computer bigtime. The recommended version is just Norton Internet Security 2009.
All Hail Norton!!! We always had Norton at work and I have it on my PC tower

I do have 15 months free of Trend Micro Internet Security on my new laptop, we'll see how goes....anyone else have it? Happy or not?

Old 06-11-2009, 07:03 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,560,254 times
I personally like Vipre, it is light on system resources, and seems to catch everything that has been thrown at it so far.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:52 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,903,693 times
Kaspersky has not failed me one time. Ever.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:34 PM

22,411 posts, read 20,017,479 times
I just downloaded the free MS Security Essentials because it turned out my old security suite, despite being good and thorough, was responsible for slowing down my mobile Internet access considerably, there was not much left of broad band Internet. I like MS SE so far, am doing a first full scan at the moment which seems to take quite a long time (extrapolating from the progress bar about an hour or longer). It seems to be strikingly slim, not as bloated as most competitors, not many options to set. I think and hope that being from MS as well, it works smoothly with my OS and the Windows Firewall. Given the dominance of Google I am beginning to like Microsoft
Not bad, I am downloading / listening to a Youtube song and surfing the Internet while the full scan is running, and still there are no interruptions in the music

Last edited by Neuling; 01-30-2010 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers