U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:17 PM

11,729 posts, read 20,964,688 times

Advertisements

Back to the original question - I think (after all the back and forth) - I used AVG forever, yesterday I updated to 9.0, not an Upgrade, I still had the free, well, after agonizingly long waits as well as not being able to get to some places, including here! I removed it just a little while ago and I'm back to full-speed. What can I use in it's place? I'd appreciate any tips on a free one, or if I can get an old version of AVG? I'm not as tech-savvy as some of you are and I'd appreciate any help and/or tips. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 06:35 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,696,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Back to the original question - I think (after all the back and forth) - I used AVG forever, yesterday I updated to 9.0, not an Upgrade, I still had the free, well, after agonizingly long waits as well as not being able to get to some places, including here! I removed it just a little while ago and I'm back to full-speed. What can I use in it's place? I'd appreciate any tips on a free one, or if I can get an old version of AVG? I'm not as tech-savvy as some of you are and I'd appreciate any help and/or tips. Thanks.

I used to run AVG and also hated the slowdown experienced when it was doing the scheduled daily scans. I went to the free MS Security Essentials and have had great results with it. You can check out what the industry magazines have to say about it online.... good stuff so far.

Here's the download link if interested:

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Old 01-31-2010, 02:40 PM

22,411 posts, read 19,982,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I just downloaded the free MS Security Essentials because it turned out my old security suite, despite being good and thorough, was responsible for slowing down my mobile Internet access considerably, there was not much left of broad band Internet. I like MS SE so far, am doing a first full scan at the moment which seems to take quite a long time (extrapolating from the progress bar about an hour or longer). It seems to be strikingly slim, not as bloated as most competitors, not many options to set. I think and hope that being from MS as well, it works smoothly with my OS and the Windows Firewall. Given the dominance of Google I am beginning to like Microsoft
Not bad, I am downloading / listening to a Youtube song and surfing the Internet while the full scan is running, and still there are no interruptions in the music

Funny, I posted a thread on the Online Armor support forum just to let them know that their security suite was responsible for the startup delay on my computer and my slow internet connection, so that they can work on it. But all they had to say about my feedback was it was all my fault. Then they closed the thread. Great customer service for paying customers, isn't it?

So, although the Online Armor AV program works well (when active, that is, it did deactivate itself once without letting me know, so I contacted them and again they said it was my fault, that I uninstalled or deactivated the AV myself without knowing it ), I would not recommend it for the time being, obviously it still has some issues and they won't admit it. Instead they say it is the customer's fault.

Stick with MS SE, it works well and is free for everyone with a genuine Windows OS

Old 02-04-2010, 03:50 PM

556 posts, read 1,413,621 times
I moved from AVG Free to Avast! a couple months ago, the difference is like day and night. Avast! is so much quicker, and it keeps more of the unwanted garbage off of my computer than AVG did at the end.

AVG was good for a while, but just like Firefox, it got big and bloated with features that most people don't use.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:47 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,991,567 times
I'm using ESET Smart Security 4; its supposed to be the best thing out right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers