Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:16 PM

652 posts, read 1,785,172 times

Advertisements

I have a new laptop and I put the old hard drive into a case NexStar SX. I can access everything but I cannot save what I write in any of the documents. When I want to save or close the new info is deleted.
I cannot run any of the programs either,

Is this normal? Am I missing something? I suspect I am not useing a program or something like that which makes it all compatible. The new laptop and the old hard drive are both Toshiba Satellites different models.
Old A135-S4696 New L305-S5945 In case that matters. I also got the new one with all, or most of the bloat removed.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 08:26 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,600 times
Running the programs on the drive won't work in most cases if you didn't install the program from your laptop. As for the read only nature of it that sounds like a setting issue. Does it say it is only read only when it connects to the drive? Do you get an error when you save it? Do you unplug it without unmounting the drive first (safely remove hardware)?

Old 06-03-2009, 09:52 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
The documents were probably saved in different Office programs. You may have to up-convert the documents to your current Office suite. You may need to place a jumper on the old hard drive as it may be set to cable select and needs to be set to master inside of the external enclosure(if it is SATA never mind). Also make sure you are re-saving the documents outside of My Documents.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:38 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
What OS was on the old drive? Where are the documents stored on the old drive? It's likely a permissions issue with the folder the files are in. Copy them over to the laptop drive, may solve the issue. You will not be able to run most if not all of the applications on the old drive.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:12 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
I have a new laptop and I put the old hard drive into a case NexStar SX. I can access everything but I cannot save what I write in any of the documents. When I want to save or close the new info is deleted.
I cannot run any of the programs either,

Is this normal? Am I missing something? I suspect I am not useing a program or something like that which makes it all compatible. The new laptop and the old hard drive are both Toshiba Satellites different models.
Old A135-S4696 New L305-S5945 In case that matters. I also got the new one with all, or most of the bloat removed.

Thanks
Few links for you -
newegg page - has reviews
Manufacturer page

Looks like a neat product. If I buy a new laptop, I might have to buy one.

I think what others have posted is right..
It sounds like you are trying to use programs on the old drive; say Microsoft Office, but it won't work because it is not installed on your new laptop.

I don't understand why you can't save things.. Did you ever have a password on the old laptop? If so, that would explain it.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:15 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
..... You may need to place a jumper on the old hard drive as it may be set to cable select and needs to be set to master inside of the external enclosure(if it is SATA never mind). ..... Also make sure you are re-saving the documents outside of My Documents.
I've assembled quite a few external hard drives into enclosures. The ones that had instructions specifically for PATA drives have said to set the jumper to CS (cable select).

Why would My Documents not be the best place to store Documents?

Old 06-04-2009, 06:30 AM

The docs are all Word. It is on the new computer.
The error message does say it is read only. I go to E/Users/Documents and try to change this, selecting for all files and sub folders but it doesn't take. How do I change that?
As far as unmounting I have to turn off the power switch as the Safely Turn Off function thinks the programs are in use when all are closed.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
The docs are all Word. It is on the new computer.
The error message does say it is read only. I go to E/Users/Documents and try to change this, selecting for all files and sub folders but it doesn't take. How do I change that?
As far as unmounting I have to turn off the power switch as the Safely Turn Off function thinks the programs are in use when all are closed.
Shouldn't matter.
I'm running a dual boot - Vista & XP.
I have a bunch of hard drives - 1 500gig and 2 1TB
The 500 gig drive ran "My Documents" - it ended up going out, put it in an enclosure and it's fine.
I used Maxtor Maxblast and copied every file from the 500 to the 1TB.
"My Documents" automatically started running from the 1TB.

If I work on something, I have no problems working on or changing anything on any of the drives. I'm still working from the 500 gig.

Have you tried copying the Word documents over to the new laptop or are you not able to do that either?

Did you have a password?

Old 06-04-2009, 06:49 AM

I can copy paste them but it sort of makes the whole thing useless.
I did have a password but it doesn't prompt for it.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
I can copy paste them but it sort of makes the whole thing useless.
I did have a password but it doesn't prompt for it.
The password is probably your problem.
You should copy any files you need, either onto the new laptop or a thumb drive, then you need to take possession of the external drive.
I'm pretty sure someone posted how above.
I suggest backing up in case something happens while taking possession of the drive.

Someone else may have another suggestion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers