U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 03:19 PM

703 posts, read 2,666,373 times

Advertisements

I have a two years old HP Pavillion Slimline desktop s3000 (not sure exact model at the moment) that is giving me fits. For some strange reasons, the fan for this desktop is almost ALWAYS running. It's not a big deal at all. However, the last couple of times when I tried to run a complete antivirus scan of my computer, the scan would run for about 2 minutes then all of a sudden the computer just shuts down. Not a slow lack of activity shutdown process, but the entire system just "dies". It's like someone decided to pull the plug on the PC itself. Any ideas? I've used this computer to create DVDs of home movies before and once in a while, this sudden shutdown would occur (but not very often). No sudden shutdown with normal websurfing and game play (fan is again constantly running). Like I said, it has suddently shut down every time I run the antivirus scan and once in a while for DVD movie creation. I'm guess higher processing activity is forcing the sudden shutdown?

Any ideas on how to diagnose and fix the problem for someone who only has basic comprehension of computers.
OS is Vista.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 04:11 PM

40,878 posts, read 42,312,467 times
Sudden unexpected shutdowns especially when doing processor intensive things like encoding video is usually indicative of a overheating CPU. Computers are designed to be self preserving, when they get to a critical stage they'll shut off. A case fan constantly running would be an indication of that but only if it's one that will go faster or slower depending on the heat. Some are just on all the time, depends on what type you have.

Open up the case and check the heatsink on the CPU, it's most like caked with dust and can't get rid of the heat. It will most likely be a aluminum looking "box" with fins and fan on top of it.

heatsink - Google Image Search

Old 06-09-2009, 04:55 PM

703 posts, read 2,666,373 times
Thanks, I'll open it up and check on that. With regards to the fan, yep, it does run faster and slows down quite a bit during the always running state.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:02 PM

15,222 posts, read 18,594,634 times
97% likely to be heat - "thecoalman"s advice is dead-on. The PC's 2 years old - have you ever opened it up and blown the dust out of it? You should do that every 3-6 months as routine maintenance. You can get cans of compressed air at office supply stores, computer stores, etc.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:45 PM

40,878 posts, read 42,312,467 times
Forgot to add the important stuff ...

Word of warning, be sure to disconnect everything from the case before opening it and keep in mind static electricity will fry it faster than you blink your eye if you touch the wrong thing. They have little wrist bands to prevent this. Most techs just touch a metal part of the case.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:29 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,399,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Forgot to add the important stuff ...

Word of warning, be sure to disconnect everything from the case before opening it and keep in mind static electricity will fry it faster than you blink your eye if you touch the wrong thing. They have little wrist bands to prevent this. Most techs just touch a metal part of the case.
Just don't touch components on the motherboard or any expansion cards that may be installed, and keep the heel of your hand or arm resting on the bare metal chassis. Also much less of a problem in the warmer humid months, vs. during cold weather.

But I agree with others here, this is very likely a heat, overheating problem. Suprised that you don't get a BIOS message when you power it back on that it shut down due to overheating (I've seen a number of Dell's do this)

Old 06-09-2009, 07:31 PM

10,764 posts, read 18,145,499 times
As mentiond your CPU heatsink is likely clogged with dust. DO NOT vacuum out the dust, blow it out, vacuuming can create a static charge that can fry the logic board and/or other electronic components.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:08 PM

383 posts, read 539,953 times
I had the same problem with the fans mysteriously changing speeds.. After a few days I decided to check the CPU fans to see what was going on. I found like 5 huge dustballs in there (I couldn't reach a 6th) and ever since I cleaned it, my CPU fan has been running normally.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:37 PM

11,967 posts, read 22,173,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
But I agree with others here, this is very likely a heat, overheating problem. Suprised that you don't get a BIOS message when you power it back on that it shut down due to overheating (I've seen a number of Dell's do this)
Usually a computer blue screens or restarts.
The OP needs to go into the control panel and set it to show the message instead of restarting.

This is for XP - I don't have my vista side running right now dual boot). I think putting the control panel on classic view will give the same options as XP.
Control panel - system - advanced - startup & recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
As mentiond your CPU heatsink is likely clogged with dust. DO NOT vacuum out the dust, blow it out, vacuuming can create a static charge that can fry the logic board and/or other electronic components.
I 1st take a paintbrush (not a fine one but a nicer sized round one) and pull the dust out that way. I also have small needle nose pliers (carefully using them) that work well.

I don't like to just blow the dust out of fans, and when I do blow the fan, I hold it in place so that the fan doesn't spin with the air.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:32 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,399,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Usually a computer blue screens or restarts.
The OP needs to go into the control panel and set it to show the message instead of restarting.

This is for XP - I don't have my vista side running right now dual boot). I think putting the control panel on classic view will give the same options as XP.
Control panel - system - advanced - startup & recovery.
No it doesn't, this is a BIOS function, not an OS function, and it will POWER ITSELF OFF if it senses the CPU is too hot with any OS, or even NO OS, but simply powered on. The temperature at which this occurs can even be set in some BIOS's.

Read the OP's description of symptoms where they said the system just dies like someone "pull the plug on the PC itself" and that is not a BSOD, but a power off very possibly the result of a sensed overheating problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers