Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:33 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Open irfanview and go to file>batch conversion/rename. On the right side open the folder where the pictures are stored. Select the pictures you want to downsize and click add. On the bottom right check a box that says "use advanced options"(it might already be checked). Then click the "set advanced options" button. On the advanced options check the box for resize, then select the dimensions you want to set for the images. Click ok, then click start to start the batch conversion. The new files will be sent to the folder you selected for the output directory(C:\temp by default).
Thanks, but I dont see that set advanced options on the bottom right of the screen.... however-

that advanced options was on the left and I was able to do the steps you said for me to do, but it still did not resize the original photos... it has like two photos of each now and it wont show or open the ones it downsized - it says I must install plug ins from Ifran homepage. I am so frustrated. I also wanted it to overwrite the original sized photos, which it didnt do. It kept the large and small photos, only I cant get the small ones to open. It just shows that little red icon. When I open the file in my regular pictures or photo gallery, it only still has the full size photos.

When I open my regular photos, they are still as big as the originally were. I am at a crossroads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 02:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I also wanted it to overwrite the original sized photos, which it didnt do.
By default Irfanview prevents you from doing that so people new to the program don't accidently overwrite their precious baby files. Keep in mind if you resize/recompress and overwrite originals with such small file sizes you're drastically reducing the deatail from the originals. Not so important for disply on a computer however for printing purposes or if they are family photos or anything imporatant you'll not want to do that.

When you open the advanced tab for resizing there's a selection under the Misscellaneous heading in the lower left "Overwrite existing files".

It's been a while since I've installed irfanview but I use it all the time. If it's complaining about plugins you can get them here:

IrfanView PlugIns

Old 06-12-2009, 07:46 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Picasa - looks like it batch edits. It does all sorts of neat things and is becoming my favorite program to use. My teen daughter loves it too.

I used to use MGI Photo Suite 4 to adjust the size - Irfanview used to do a lousy job - the pics were distorted. I also have Picture It Express which I love.

With Picasa - you also get a free online storage account.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:29 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Does anyone not beleive in KISS? Go to Paint, Click Image, Click File then Open, Click Resize/Skew, Click Resize to 50% H & V (don't skew it), Save as original file. It will usually change it to Kilo from Mega. If its not small enough frollow the same operation again.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 06-12-2009 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-12-2009, 06:54 PM

1,808 posts, read 3,189,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Does anyone not beleive in KISS? Go to Paint, Click Image, Click File then Open, Click Resize/Skew, Click Resize to 50% H & V (don't skew it), Save as original file. It will usually change it to Kilo from Mega. If its not small enough frollow the same operation again.
The OP is looking for a program that has batch functionality as he has a lot of pictures to resize and does not want to do them 1 by 1.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:27 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,484 times
Piscaso 3, free from Google, is my choice. It's simple to use. I must have used about 4k photos on so far.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
Piscaso 3, free from Google, is my choice. It's simple to use. I must have used about 4k photos on so far.
Thanks. Well, I have downloaded Picasa 3... now can you tell me how I go about downsizing a batch of photos in a folder? Seems like I am back where I started from... no way to downsize photos.

I am beginning to think its not meant for me to downsize all of my photos in one folder at once.

Edit - I finally figured it out, but its still confusing... instead of overwriting my original photos, it seems to put them in a "Picasa" photo album thats hard to find. I guess I will have to experiment with it some. I guess I could just simply delete the folder with the larger photos and use the "exported" folder? Its a shame there is not one that simply resizes your originals easily and keeps them in the same folder. Thanks again!

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 06-12-2009 at 11:22 PM..

Old 06-13-2009, 06:27 AM

Yes, you should be able to batch resize and save a copy.
You should also be able to change the location of the folder it keeps them in.

I don't think you're going to get any easier then Picasa.

There is another program called paint.net that is supposed to be a better version of microsofts paint.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:51 PM

Thanks. I have been using the Picasa 3 program and its doing the job. I am going to fidget with it some to see if there is some way I can get it to delete/overwrite the originals and only keep the reduced size ones. Thanks again!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thanks. I have been using the Picasa 3 program and its doing the job. I am going to fidget with it some to see if there is some way I can get it to delete/overwrite the originals and only keep the reduced size ones. Thanks again!

I was using it yesterday to upload my garden photos to my online account. Have to say it was very easy. There are 2 different ways to do it, not sure which I like best.

I'll have to try paint.net too.

A friend of mine uses photoscape. I haven't installed it on my Windows side yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers