U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:09 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,853,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
It doesn't work that way, you can't change the IP address your ISP assigns to you, they will change it in time, but you'll escape nothing, they have records of what IP was assigned to who and when.
It's easy if you have a router (assuming you ISP links your account to the modem MAC and not computer/router MAC)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 06:53 AM

6,811 posts, read 8,414,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It's easy if you have a router (assuming you ISP links your account to the modem MAC and not computer/router MAC)
But still pointless, records exist, the OP isn't going to be anonymous.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:49 AM

6,382 posts, read 4,985,516 times
It seems to me that one possibility is that the OP asked the wrong question without realizing what he could have asked. I think he may want to do a little searching for anonymous web surfing sites. Once you're logged into one of these, your IP is masked by theirs while you are surfing anywhere on the Internet until you log out. Some of them have costs associated with them. I've not used one, so I'm not recommending, just providing information.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
But still pointless, records exist, the OP isn't going to be anonymous.
Doesn't sound like he wants to be anonymous, but that he wants to throw the fringe fruitcakes off of his tracks.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:19 PM

650 posts, read 1,022,982 times
I think he's trying to throw the establishment fruitcakes of his track.
What I understood was that he wanted to hide his identifying information from his oponents. They can tell it's him contacting them by his IP address so they probably don't respond as they would to Joe Public. He does say he is an advocate/activist so there is likely a list of people to beware of at the places he is trying to shine the sunlight on. I am assuming the maleness of the OP.
I'm not sure how campaigning against illegals is dangerous but I can see some adept bureaucrat sending a worm or two down the pike to jam up his machine and divert him. There are a lot of uncomfortable questions to be asked and answered from that side of the issue. Personally if you can get here and obey the law and learn English when you do, I'm OK with that. 99% of all people are law abiding and hard working.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:36 PM

674 posts, read 1,477,778 times
Quote:
Doesn't sound like he wants to be anonymous, but that he wants to throw the fringe fruitcakes off of his tracks.
It's still pointless. The only way to be anonymous is to hide being a proxy.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
I can send you an email from a new Yahoo or Hotmail account I create, or post to a forum where you have moderator rights. My current public IP address will be in the header, and visible for anyone that knows what they are looking for.

From that you will be able to determine my ISP, and my general location (assuming I have a permanent broadband connection, dialup is much more vague).

And with that you as a private citizen can do exactly what? You could probe the IP address to see if I am foolish enough to have a vulnerable computer directly attached to my ISP. You could mount a DoD or DDoD attack against the IP address to basically take me off line.

If you run a forum or website, you can block my IP address.

But unless you are a law enforcement agency and take out a supoenia to my ISP you still really have nothing. I'm not 100% anonymous as you know my ISP and possibly the general part of the country I live in, but that is about it.

But then I change the MAC in my router, release/renew, and the games begin again

Old 06-19-2009, 08:48 PM

674 posts, read 1,477,778 times
Quote:
I can send you an email from a new Yahoo or Hotmail account I create, or post to a forum where you have moderator rights. My current public IP address will be in the header, and visible for anyone that knows what they are looking for.

From that you will be able to determine my ISP, and my general location (assuming I have a permanent broadband connection, dialup is much more vague).

And with that you as a private citizen can do exactly what? You could probe the IP address to see if I am foolish enough to have a vulnerable computer directly attached to my ISP. You could mount a DoD or DDoD attack against the IP address to basically take me off line.

If you run a forum or website, you can block my IP address.

But unless you are a law enforcement agency and take out a supoenia to my ISP you still really have nothing. I'm not 100% anonymous as you know my ISP and possibly the general part of the country I live in, but that is about it.

But then I change the MAC in my router, release/renew, and the games begin again
Social engineering is more effective than you might think.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:50 AM

7,347 posts, read 13,952,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It seems to me that one possibility is that the OP asked the wrong question without realizing what he could have asked. I think he may want to do a little searching for anonymous web surfing sites. Once you're logged into one of these, your IP is masked by theirs while you are surfing anywhere on the Internet until you log out. Some of them have costs associated with them. I've not used one, so I'm not recommending, just providing information.
Quote:
You can change your IP address all that you want and every time that you do your service provider will still know that it is you. How do you think that the hardcore freedom of information fighters get busted? You can do all that you want to do in order to remain anonymous but you will never be 100% anonymous, just one step ahead. Eventually you will trip.

Besides, the OP admitted to singing with his real name. I don't know why he cares about hiding his computers ID.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Social engineering is more effective than you might think.
Of course it is, thus the number of people that believe they might actually be related to a dead Nigerian prince whose executor has very poor command of the English language.

But this thread is about changing IP addresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers