U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-04-2009, 04:55 PM

5,569 posts, read 9,643,079 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,
First time posting in this forum here....a quick question:

I'm helping a friend setup his computer so he can use a wireless internet connection. His office is located at an airport, but he's at the far end of the runway....away from the terminal. He has some kind of antenna on his roof and it's connected to an access point like this one. Apparently the antenna is used to send the signal to other hangars at the airport.

The old man doesn't know anything about computers so he can't answer my questions, and I've never dealt with this kind of WIFI setup before. So to make sure I understand what's happening here....is the antenna on his roof picking up a WIFI signal from somewhere else and then sending it to the access point?

Can I just easily buy a wireless network card, install it in his computer and pick up the signal? Or, is it more complicated than this? I'm concerned about the distance from his computer to the access point. Will the signal be weak coming into his office? His office is in a large airplane hangar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 05:17 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,718,943 times
You are asking for someone to tell you how a network is setup when we can't see it you know...

So does the terminal have an accesspoint they are allowing the airport folk to leech?

Are you asking how to get his computer connected to his accesspoint located in his office, or at the terminal? Either way yes it will need a wifi card/usb dongle.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:18 AM

11,115 posts, read 9,300,019 times
The antenna is most likely a repeater which connects to other repeaters around the airport. A normal wifi card (G) in the computer should be fine. Most likely there will be a https setup for him to link to his network. Plus his admin may have to add some software to conect securely or through a VPN.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:21 AM

Thanks guys!

Old 07-05-2009, 10:08 AM

Guys, I drew out a map of how I assume the network is setup. All I have personally seen is the office and wireless access point/antenna. I am not 100% of the originating source of the signal, but let me know what you think.

So, to reiterate, all I need is a Wireless G access card in his office to receive the signal? Is 195ft too long of a distance to get a reliable signal? Thanks.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Guys, I drew out a map of how I assume the network is setup. All I have personally seen is the office and wireless access point/antenna. I am not 100% of the originating source of the signal, but let me know what you think.

So, to reiterate, all I need is a Wireless G access card in his office to receive the signal? Is 195ft too long of a distance to get a reliable signal? Thanks.
Nice map. Yeah all it needs is a wifi card.

Unless his computer/wifi card will have line of sight to the accesspoint in his hangar I doubt you are going to get a decent signal. At that distance I bet you are approaching the range limit unless you can crank up the power. (which is potentially illegal...) I'm not sure if all that metal will help the signal either.

Wish my office was a hangar...with jets park outside no less.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:48 AM

I think what I'm going to do is roll a long cable over to the access point, rather than using a WIFI card. Is that doable?

Yea, that hangar is chock full of vintage aircraft (some flyable). It's an aviation museum.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 AM

13,074 posts, read 6,909,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I think what I'm going to do is roll a long cable over to the access point, rather than using a WIFI card. Is that doable?

Yea, that hangar is chock full of vintage aircraft (some flyable). It's an aviation museum.
Yes, but know your cable facts (distance, interference, building code regulations if wiring through the ceiling, etc...) as there are some things to consider when doing so. Ignoring things like this can lead to all kinds of problems that can be difficult to troubleshoot.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:30 PM

And before you go purchasing/rolling out all that cable make sure the box is actually a router/accesspoint with available ethernet ports and isn't purely a wifi accesspoint. Sucks to run all that wire and not have anything to stick it in.

This is the one you linked:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WAP54G

Which I don't see anything about having ethernet ports. Looks like it is purely for wifi

This is what you want:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WRT54GL

You can even put a new sexy firmware on those things and change them from a cheapo 50 dollar router into a quasi-300 dollar router complete with VLANs and stuff.

Last edited by J Arp; 07-08-2009 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers