U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-09-2012, 10:52 AM

706 posts, read 752,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Hmmmm. How about a couple of links to the pages you found? That would give more information to work with.
Cursor disappears in Firefox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 06:21 PM

18,958 posts, read 21,391,336 times
That refers to the programming behind the web page (HTML, Javascript) and won't help you with your problem.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 PM

Not finding much. This is not good news, but at least you're not alone in your misery.

Cursor disappearing on certain pages in SM 2.7 • mozillaZine Forums

Old 02-09-2012, 06:47 PM

706 posts, read 752,706 times
thanks. Luckily, it not a disabling problem. I can restore the cursor, if I need to, by tpgggling into or out of full-screen. When it happens in my email text entry screen, I just click where I want the cursor and it bahaves as if it's there, even though it isn't.

Firefox is still the best, though, as I discovered today when I spent several hours working around a completely unrelated huge glitch in IE9.

Tried to open IE9 this morning, and screen flashed for a moment and disappeared, replaced by a "View and Track Downloads" box. Googling that, I discovered that nobody has ever succeeded in removing that virus (which was created by Microsoft) , and all you can do is uninstall IE9 and go back to IE8, so that's what I did.

Now, when I try to open IE8, exactly the same thing happens, the browser page disappears, but now it is a box asking me if I want to open "getpagemodel". The only fix anyone can suggest is to reset IE8, and lose everything associated with the browser. I've located getpagemodel file in the Start menu and deleted it, but the problem persists.

I have partially solved it, by going to the Start button, searching for Internet Explorer, choosing the "no add ons" version, and putting the shortcut to that in my Quick Launch. That will open without the getpagemodel, and is useful as a backup browser. But there is nothing in the add-ons manager that appears to be associated with this. But then I discovered that I only needed to "use blank" for homepage, which bypasses getpagemodel, and I can then just click on iGoogle from favorites menu. My IE8 has selected getpagemodel as the default home page, and allows use-blank as the only alternative.

But the truth of the matter is, I am now using FF as my main browser, I will use Chrome as a backup browser, and I don't ever want to see another Blue E again as long as I live.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:47 PM

14,699 posts, read 13,326,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
But the truth of the matter is, I am now using FF as my main browser, I will use Chrome as a backup browser, and I don't ever want to see another Blue E again as long as I live.
Haha, I'd give up on it too if I didn't need to use it at work. And, actually, we have several apps designed to work with IE that work much with Chrome and Firefox.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:40 AM

2 posts, read 335 times
This behavior can occur if a program conflicts with the Mosdmn.exe and Mosearch.exe files.
The Mosdmn.exe and Mosearch.exe both these files are part of the "Support for fast searching" feature in Office XP.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:37 PM

12,074 posts, read 7,245,153 times
Okay, I admit that I am fairly computer ignorant. I don't understand wireless. Thus, nothing in my house is wireless.

I want to buy a Kindle e-reader but I'm afraid I will have no idea how to connect it to the computer. Is there a special cable that I can buy that will allow me to connect the Kindle to the computer to download books?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to avoid popping Valium.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:00 PM

2,187 posts, read 2,469,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Okay, I admit that I am fairly computer ignorant. I don't understand wireless. Thus, nothing in my house is wireless.

I want to buy a Kindle e-reader but I'm afraid I will have no idea how to connect it to the computer. Is there a special cable that I can buy that will allow me to connect the Kindle to the computer to download books?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to avoid popping Valium.
All kindles come with a USB cable that you can plug into your computer.

Don't be afraid of wireless, it's quite painless and you really don't need to know anything about it. Questions you do come across can be posted here and we will help you.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:34 PM

12,074 posts, read 7,245,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
All kindles come with a USB cable that you can plug into your computer.

Don't be afraid of wireless, it's quite painless and you really don't need to know anything about it. Questions you do come across can be posted here and we will help you.

Thank you so much. Maybe after I "install" the Kindle I won't be afraid to try new things. I still have a Betamax.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:13 PM

If nothing in your house is wireless then step one is getting a wireless router.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers