Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2011, 06:42 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times

Advertisements

Thanks I tried it, no threats found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 06:51 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times
Have you run a bootable scanner such as Avira or Kaspersky?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Have you run a bootable scanner such as Avira or Kaspersky?
No, I don't know what those are - should I do a Google search? By bootable, do you mean try to get the computer to start in that once I get it downloaded?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:50 AM

Avira AntiVir Rescue System - Download
Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10

You have to have a wired internet connection available to do a signature update before the scan after you boot from the CD. If neither one of these find anything I think it's safe to say an infection isn't your problem.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:03 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Have you tried Ccleaner? It removes all caches, etc.

What runs at startup? In Ccleaner click on the Tools icon at the left and then Startup. This will show a list of what runs at startup. If you can post the list we will help with removal of unneeded items.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Have you tried Ccleaner? It removes all caches, etc.

What runs at startup? In Ccleaner click on the Tools icon at the left and then Startup. This will show a list of what runs at startup. If you can post the list we will help with removal of unneeded items.
Thank you both so much - I do have CCleaner, I'll try that and be back.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:48 PM

Here goes, I put a return between to make then easier to read:

Yes HKCU:Run SpybotSD TeaTimer C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe

Yes HKCU:Run ctfmon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

Yes HKCU:Run ccleaner "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe" /AUTO

Yes HKLM:Run Windows Defender "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide

Yes HKLM:Run Verizon_McciTrayApp C:\Program Files\Verizon\McciTrayApp.exe

Yes HKLM:Run VerizonServicepoint.exe "C:\Program Files\Verizon\VSP\VerizonServicepoint.exe" /AUTORUN

Yes HKLM:Run UserFaultCheck %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u

Yes HKLM:Run HostManager C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1175376031\ee\AOLSoftware.exe

Yes HKLM:Run avast5 C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast5\avastUI.exe /nogui

Yes HKLM:Run ZoneAlarm Client "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run Adobe Reader Speed Launcher "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run Adobe ARM "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run IntelliPoint "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe"

Yes Startup Common NkbMonitor.exe.lnk C:\Program Files\Nikon\PictureProject\NkbMonitor.exe

Yes Startup Common Quicken Startup.lnk C:\QUICKENW\QWDLLS.EXE

Old 02-11-2011, 05:49 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Here goes, I put a return between to make then easier to read:

Yes HKCU:Run SpybotSD TeaTimer C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe

Yes HKCU:Run ctfmon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

Yes HKCU:Run ccleaner "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe" /AUTO

Yes HKLM:Run Windows Defender "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide

Yes HKLM:Run Verizon_McciTrayApp C:\Program Files\Verizon\McciTrayApp.exe

Yes HKLM:Run VerizonServicepoint.exe "C:\Program Files\Verizon\VSP\VerizonServicepoint.exe" /AUTORUN

Yes HKLM:Run UserFaultCheck %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u

Yes HKLM:Run HostManager C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1175376031\ee\AOLSoftware.exe

Yes HKLM:Run avast5 C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast5\avastUI.exe /nogui

Yes HKLM:Run ZoneAlarm Client "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run Adobe Reader Speed Launcher "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run Adobe ARM "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run IntelliPoint "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe"

Yes Startup Common NkbMonitor.exe.lnk C:\Program Files\Nikon\PictureProject\NkbMonitor.exe

Yes Startup Common Quicken Startup.lnk C:\QUICKENW\QWDLLS.EXE
Before delving any deeper this jumped out at me. You're running two AV programs? That is a definite no-no. Uninstall one, reboot and see if anything changes, then we'll move on.

Neither Adobe is required, and I'd try turning off Intellipoint and see if you notice a change.

You can disable items here without uninstalling BTW.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:15 PM

Okay - which should I get rid of in your opinion? Also: I need Adobe Reader because work has documents that I need to open in it. I tried to get rid of the Adobe ARM in the Control Panel portion where you can remove, but it doesn't have that option.

Secondly - How to I turn off Intellipoint? (I don't know what that is) - and how can I disable without uninstalling/removing?

Old 02-11-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Okay - which should I get rid of in your opinion? Also: I need Adobe Reader because work has documents that I need to open in it. I tried to get rid of the Adobe ARM in the Control Panel portion where you can remove, but it doesn't have that option.

Secondly - How to I turn off Intellipoint? (I don't know what that is) - and how can I disable without uninstalling/removing?
You may need reader, but you don't need it running at startup, Tek wasn't telling you to remove those items, just stop them from loading at startup. Run msconfig and use the startup tab to get them out of startup.
ARe you using just the zonealarm firewall or the AV? as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers