U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:00 PM

4,679 posts, read 7,448,285 times
Default The "How To" Help Thread For All Computers

Ok - this thread will contain the bestest posts pertaining to those tricky, special, and/or mundane tasks that at times may bugger a person - even after searching the web for help. So, I will add posts/threads that are already w/in this forum here - give me your suggestions as to what YOU would like to see, including what other threads/posts should be here, sending me a DM that includes a copy of the thread URL so that I can put it in this thread. Any other topics that you believe should be here to help others, put a title in the 'title box', a question, and then pertinent helpful tips to then answer the question. If there are errors that need to be corrected and/or items clarified, post away, and I will merge/edit/modify the original posting about that subject. This thread will be closely edited to help keep it on-topic - so for example if you disagree with any suggestions, etc., provide detailed reasons as to what you find at fault PLUS your suggested improvements... keep this friendly, helpful, and civil.

Laters,
Hobbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 05:39 PM

18,969 posts, read 3,727,494 times
I have a "bundeled" package from the cable company, to include cable, phone and internet. I bought an all-in-one printer (printer/scanner/copier/fax). I have the printer/scanner/copier hooked up and running but can't figure out how to hook up the fax.

The "cable" enters the house and is plugged into the modum which is plugged into one jack of the phone hook-up. The phone is hooke up into the second jack. On the back of the allin-one are 2 jacks, one with a phone icon and the 2nd with an L for an analog phone.

Without running a 2nd line for the fax, is there a way to hook the fax up with the existing connections?

Old 07-26-2009, 07:31 AM

3,651 posts, read 5,198,812 times
Vista, among its many other sadistic brilliant features, includes mandating "accounts" for your computer........but wait there's more.....even as Administrator (ie should be allowed to do whatever you want basically) it insists on getting confirmation/permission to do a LOT of things. I HATE this and want to be able to set it up so I can do whatever I want and not having to keep saying yes, I really want to do it, honest, pretty please let me (etc etc etc). It's not like I'm trying to delete system files.

I have heard you can set this up via an "elevated admin status" - how the #*&$%! do you do this? Googling has turned up mixed and rather vague/"busy" answers. Thx

Old 07-26-2009, 09:49 AM

18,969 posts, read 3,727,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Vista, among its many other sadistic brilliant features, includes mandating "accounts" for your computer........but wait there's more.....even as Administrator (ie should be allowed to do whatever you want basically) it insists on getting confirmation/permission to do a LOT of things. I HATE this and want to be able to set it up so I can do whatever I want and not having to keep saying yes, I really want to do it, honest, pretty please let me (etc etc etc). It's not like I'm trying to delete system files.

I have heard you can set this up via an "elevated admin status" - how the #*&$%! do you do this? Googling has turned up mixed and rather vague/"busy" answers. Thx
As sole user of my computer I have to agree that Vista can be a royal pain.

On the other hand, I shared the computer with my former roommate so it was a blessing being able to keep the roommate from changing things around.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:39 AM

Sure, it's fine, provide that OPTION - but don't shove it down my freakin throat. I hate any time an OS "forces" something on you that you don't necessarily need or want. Believe me, if I could find a copy of XP or even Win2000 cheaply, I'd reformat and use that instead. In a heartbeat.

Anyway, here is an example of the kind of tips I'm seeing....gotta love the " important part of the security protection that Windows Vista offers" BS. No, it's a POTENTIALLY useful security protection that Windows Vista FORCES on you. I also love how he acts like "only" 6 keystrokes every time you want to do this is so great. (PS oh yeah and I tried this, it didn't work anyway)

Quote:
User Account Control is an important part of the security protection that Windows Vista offers. For any user with administrative credentials, you can always execute a process with full admin rights by right-clicking on the executable or shortcut and choosing "Run as Administrator".
For myself, I regularly want to open an admin-level command prompt, and it's a distraction to have to move my hands off the keyboard to go through the elevation contortions. So I was delighted to find a little keyboard shortcut for launching an elevated process. Simply press Ctrl+Shift+Enter from the search bar on the start menu with a selected application, and that triggers elevation.
For example, to launch an elevated command prompt, simply press the Win key; type cmd; press Ctrl+Shift+Enter; and then hit Alt+C to confirm the elevation prompt. Six keystrokes to an elevated command prompt!

Old 07-26-2009, 02:26 PM

I am trying to "turn off" UAC. That was my question. And no Windows OS (at least that I have seen, including XP) forced this UAC BS on you and kept forcing me to "log in" to a computer which is used only by me. Hey there's a useful thing to force on someone.

PS I am not "blaming" Vista for anything other than being a POS and user-unfriendly in a variety of ways.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 07-26-2009 at 02:51 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 02:49 PM

1,837 posts, read 3,566,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post

This is one of those things where MS tried to shed its reputation of being less secure when compared to its competitors - but it went horribly wrong. The design meant well.. but was executed poorly. Hence being made fun of by just about everyone (i.e. one of the "I'm a Mac" commercials specifically targeted this, as well as a bunch of youtube spoofs.)

Anyway - this may help: Disable User Account Control in Windows Vista

or: User Account Control Step-by-Step Guide

Old 08-11-2009, 06:31 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,329,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I have a "bundeled" package from the cable company, to include cable, phone and internet. I bought an all-in-one printer (printer/scanner/copier/fax). I have the printer/scanner/copier hooked up and running but can't figure out how to hook up the fax.

The "cable" enters the house and is plugged into the modum which is plugged into one jack of the phone hook-up. The phone is hooke up into the second jack. On the back of the allin-one are 2 jacks, one with a phone icon and the 2nd with an L for an analog phone.

Without running a 2nd line for the fax, is there a way to hook the fax up with the existing connections?
You should be able to hook your all-in-one into the jack where your phone is currently plugged in, then plug in your phone to the all-in-one.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:32 PM

15,293 posts, read 10,934,798 times
The other day my computer got infected or was infected with a Trojan. I could not scan it out....so I put it in quarantine(it would NOT delete) and rebooted...Windows would not start.....Damaged or missing data.......it performed self repair and started....

Tried to scan again...reboot again and same thing..."Windows" damaged or missing. Finally I was able to quarantine and delete the Trojan....and I ran scan/check disc twice and set it to repair etc.

The computer is working fine now....but right at the end of my "quick" spyware scan.....you can read the computer code.....it "says"...sorry, I'm not too savy with this......\\replace\wdc\windows.exc..... that's not exactly it but that seems funny to me.

Should I be worrierd; since the Trojan seemed to damage "windows" initially????

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 09-30-2009 at 05:51 PM..

Old 10-03-2009, 04:32 PM

607 posts, read 292,750 times
can someone help me

I have windows xp

and I am getting a message that says

microsoft visual c runtime error

thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers