U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2007, 04:24 PM

11,540 posts, read 18,806,190 times

Advertisements

a nice Toshiba one.Im currently staying at a friends,on his pc Im coming to you.

How can I transfere his DSL to my laptop?I need to go online for some updates and drivers.Haven't tried the wireless yet but since Im here might as well use his connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 06:16 PM

15,597 posts, read 35,582,099 times
Well if you can't plug and play...you (or roomie) may have to call the service provider and have their support dude talk you through it. Can you plug in the cable, open network places icon (may be in start menu), click on view network connections (left side), then create a new connection (left side), or right click and connect on the "local area connection" icon.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:12 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,831,756 times
Default Do not understand your problem

Most notebooks will search for a WiFi signal, if available they will just display it. If it is guarded he just has to give you the code. Duh, what I do at folks home's all the time on the road. They just give me the log on code to their LAN.

The connection shows in your tray, usually at the bottom. If you want a hard wire connection just go to the control panel and do the set up in there. Do not understand your problem.

Usually you just set it to auto detect.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:00 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,995,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
a nice Toshiba one.Im currently staying at a friends,on his pc Im coming to you.

How can I transfere his DSL to my laptop?I need to go online for some updates and drivers.Haven't tried the wireless yet but since Im here might as well use his connection.
With DSL there isn't anything to transfer.

If you have a CAT 5/6 cable just plug it into your network adapter on your notebook. And if your network adapter is enabled it should pop up that it's connected, then go away unless you tell it to stay on. If they have a wireless router, you can just plug into that and it will connect. If not just hook it directly up to the DSL modem.

Other wise just pop on the wireless and connect.

When you do that you'll want the icon for that specific adapter in the task bar, it makes it much easier to change settings anyways.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:31 PM

31 posts, read 152,989 times
my girlfriend has a toshiba laptop. it come with some weird program that controlled the wireless connection. i think it was call CONFIGFREE or something like that. i couldnt get it to connect wireless, so i uninstalled the dumb program and used windows wireless wizard. that fix my problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers