U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 05:07 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,336,748 times

Advertisements

AVG is the one I bought when we got our new computer 2 months ago.

It has been a nightmare for me. Or could it be VISTA? (we had XP before)

Cookies are now hugely a problem. I'm constantly fiddling with deleting cookies or checking/unchecking things under Internet Options..security.

Logging onto many websites I was easily able to log onto before with old computer (and XP and diff antivirus)....is now virtually IMPOSSIBLE.

With this new computer and new antivirus I am currently unable to log into:

my bank
many different forums that I post on
had to uninstall the antivirus just to get the darned webcam cd downloaded into this new computer and I could go on...

I'm ready to throw a hammer at this thing!

So, is it Vista and/or my new antivirus do u think?

HELP.

Has anyone had this issue with VISTA OR AVG?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 05:15 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,386,702 times
Vista 64 doesn't have those problems for me! And Eset NOD32 is fast and works ok!

Old 08-06-2009, 07:23 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,512,343 times
When you say you bought AVG, which product did you buy? If you bought their Internet Security Suite, it's pig of a program. You should have stuck with the free edition in that case.

Why are you fiddling with cookies constantly? What is your goal, exactly?

I have been running Vista with AVG for over two and a half years now and support many such systems and do not have the problems you're experiencing.

Did you uninstall whatever antivirus came with your computer before installing AVG?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
When you say you bought AVG, which product did you buy? If you bought their Internet Security Suite, it's pig of a program. You should have stuck with the free edition in that case.

Yes, almost sure what I paid for was the Security Suite, it was I think the best version they sell.

Why are you fiddling with cookies constantly? What is your goal, exactly?

Well, like I said, I have trouble with random forums that I go on to post, like for instance this one particular bulletin board I like to post on, a real estate website that I go on to search for homes that requires a username and password, my bank website that requires a username and password. NO LUCK.
It throws me off and WON'T LET ME SIGN IN!!! So, due to that, I have tried fiddling with the 'cookie' settings because some 'other' sites that I have trouble getting on, if I change the cookie settings or delete cookies, then I will have success at logging on to those. But some like my bank I CANNOT STILL LOG ON. Changing cookies settings does NOT help. Even called the bank for tech help and they came to the conclusion that it's something in/about my pc that is preventing my log ons.
It's SO annoying.

I have been running Vista with AVG for over two and a half years now and support many such systems and do not have the problems you're experiencing.

Is it the free version? Are you happy with it?

Did you uninstall whatever antivirus came with your computer before installing AVG?

I declined the included a/v that I could've gotten with new computer, it was McAfee. Don't like it from past experiences. Maybe that was my mistake...and maybe I should've kept the darned McAfee...
I think I am going to uninstall my AVG and then get the free version with the linkscanner which is also free and see if the probs go away. Honestly I feel the a/v is the culprit?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:11 PM

Go get AVG Free edition from AVG Free - Download Free Antivirus and Antispyware for Windows 7, Vista and XP, do a custom install, and don't install the link scanner or toolbar. I use it and have no problems. The problems you had were from the security suite being an overbearing, overcomplicated, program. That's pretty much how all the security suites are regardless of who makes them. I prefer to have just the antivirus without a firewall and a hundred other modules trying to keep me safe.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Go get AVG Free edition from AVG Free - Download Free Antivirus and Antispyware for Windows 7, Vista and XP, do a custom install, and don't install the link scanner or toolbar. I use it and have no problems. The problems you had were from the security suite being an overbearing, overcomplicated, program. That's pretty much how all the security suites are regardless of who makes them. I prefer to have just the antivirus without a firewall and a hundred other modules trying to keep me safe.
thanks. is a firewall not that important? don't I have one from Microsoft or Internet Explorer? I think I do.....I have gone to it before in trying to solve all the issues! and I remember it was found via the Start->control panel->security.......? am I right?

so, some ppl who have an a/v with a firewall and the one I'm referring to above, actually have 2 firewalls?

I'm uninstalling AVG as I write this. Oh maybe that's not good....

Old 08-06-2009, 10:37 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,967,601 times
I've used Avast home edition for the last year and a half--no viruses, no spyware, no malware, nada. It has caught every single threat to my computer and I highly recommend it.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
thanks. is a firewall not that important? don't I have one from Microsoft or Internet Explorer? I think I do.....I have gone to it before in trying to solve all the issues! and I remember it was found via the Start->control panel->security.......? am I right?

so, some ppl who have an a/v with a firewall and the one I'm referring to above, actually have 2 firewalls?

I'm uninstalling AVG as I write this. Oh maybe that's not good....
Windows has a firewall built in which is on by default. When you install a 3rd party firewall, it disables the Windows firewall. I don't like 3rd party firewalls because they tend to be overbearing, ask a lot of questions the user probably doesn't have the right answer to, and usually winds up breaking something. A better solution is to connect your computer to the Internet through a NAT router. That way, anyone attacking your IP address is attacking the router, not your actual computer. In that case, a software firewall really isn't needed because the router stops everything. Even if you are connected directly to the Internet w/o a router, I've never known the Windows firewall to be insufficient however, like all software firewalls, it can be disabled by malware that's already on your PC.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:55 AM

Default update!

Ok, so last night I uninstalled the antivirus. Then went to try all the things I was unsuccessful at before doing that...like signing in to several password protected websites.

Nada. Couldn't do it still. So, this leads me to obviously believe that my 'issues' are NOT being caused by the a/v-AVG. Of which I have reinstalled due to the fact that I paid for 2yrs of it in advance and it's too late to get a refund.

Also, at this time, why not use it as it doesn't seem to have been the culprit?!

My assumption now is that all my issues (not being able to sign into many of the password protected websites that I NEED...like bank, forums, kodak easyshare gallery which is where I purchase my pics.....this is just the latest glitch I have come across and it's maddening cuz I just went on vaca and want to have my pics developed!) are to either be blamed on 'Vista' or Microsoft? Am I way off here?

ok could this be where my settings may be 'off' or need to be adjusted, if I go here...

Tools
Internet Options
Security tab
Custom Level
Security Settings.....and then you have all these options which I have NO clue what they all mean where you click either 'disable', 'enable' or 'prompt'....could my problem actually be in that area (meaning it's Vista to blame or is that area governed by Microsoft?)???

Please help!

btw, at noon today, I'm going out of town for 2 days so if I don't respond today...that's why. I won't have access to a computer till Sunday.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:13 AM

Don't mess with any of Internet Explorer's security settings. I would still remove AVG security suite and install the Free antivirus instead. If you paid for a punch in the nose, would you insist on getting it? You're better off without it regardless of the money.

After uninstalling AVG security suite, go to Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab, and hit the reset button. That'll reset IE to default settings and undo any changes you or AVG may have made. Also, go to Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable and down their browser and give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers