U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:09 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,935,702 times

Advertisements

Thanks Ronzou and Figment....

Solitaire? No. Only at work's desktop. The laptop would be for far more serious playing on the go :-))

Yeah I just need enough to be able to run some of the more power and graphics intensive software but nothing extraordinary. I really need it to make the CD threads load faster!!! :-))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 12:14 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,994,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Thanks Ronzou and Figment....

Solitaire? No. Only at work's desktop. The laptop would be for far more serious playing on the go :-))

Yeah I just need enough to be able to run some of the more power and graphics intensive software but nothing extraordinary. I really need it to make the CD threads load faster!!! :-))
Seriously just about anything today should be able to handle that. Make sure it's not a Celeron this is the *cheap* brand. I like the Centrino, since those are identical to CPUs of higher power, and require less battery power if needed.

Far more serious playing on the go? Like Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike? I used my Laptop to do Cinema 4D worked just fine @ 1.5 with 256 MB ram. =) Now it has 768 and runs MUCH better. =)

Old 04-27-2007, 12:25 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,935,702 times
hummmm. I'll have to look into that Centrino. My son told me just to make sure I have that Intel dual core and over 1 gig of RAM and 120 hard drive --- or something like that. ??? Wow, and I used to know about this stuff - eons ago.
I was asking him the other day to explain "wireless" vs plugging into the wall jack. I ended up thinking I "should" get wireless but not convinced about why? He says they don't really make laptops anymore that take some little card that sticks out that converts to wireless.

Hey, I have enough problems with a cell phone. After it's new and I look through the manual and play with it a bit, I never can figure it out again.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:34 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,994,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
hummmm. I'll have to look into that Centrino. My son told me just to make sure I have that Intel dual core and over 1 gig of RAM and 120 hard drive --- or something like that. ??? Wow, and I used to know about this stuff - eons ago.
I was asking him the other day to explain "wireless" vs plugging into the wall jack. I ended up thinking I "should" get wireless but not convinced about why? He says they don't really make laptops anymore that take some little card that sticks out that converts to wireless.

Hey, I have enough problems with a cell phone. After it's new and I look through the manual and play with it a bit, I never can figure it out again.
It doesn't HAVE to be dual core, they usually cost more, but they have more power. It's like having 2 CPUs in one. Geeze I don't know what you're going to be doing, but 1 GB of ram 120 GB HDD? Sounds like you're going to be playing Half-Life 2!

Uhmmmm... Is your son completely sure??? Because they still sell network cards in PCMCIA form for some of the older laptops(and newer) or people buy them because the one on the laptop stops working or they have conflicts with it. As for wireless, it's cool and all, I have wireless G, it's nice to see I'm connected at 54 Mbps then watch it drop to around 1 or 2. =(

As for wireless not all places have wi-fi available like hotels and them and you still need to connect through a data port or whatever they call them. And as for security wired is still a tad more secure, but wireless is making strides. =) Most people use WPA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or