U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 06:25 AM

6,170 posts, read 4,702,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome2232 View Post
..... But both systems are more inclined for application based users, rather gamers. I am a gamer, so I need something fast and very powerful. .....
That is indeed a huge difference. Lots of gamers prefer to build their own, get an Alienware box or have TigerDirect put together a machine for them.

Granny that wants email from the kids isn't going to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 09:54 AM

5 posts, read 3,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That is indeed a huge difference. Lots of gamers prefer to build their own, get an Alienware box or have TigerDirect put together a machine for them.

Granny that wants email from the kids isn't going to do that.
Lol excellent point.
In which case I would definitely agree, HP or Dell would make a great candidate for someone who only need internet

Old 10-23-2009, 10:04 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,761,163 times
If they weren't blind and arthritic, I would just get them a NetBook and leave it at that!!!

But I would also agree. Making your own makes it much easier to upgrade later for this or that. More HD space, memory, vid card, whatever.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:13 AM

2,893 posts, read 3,324,401 times
Building your own is a piece of cake nowadays. Match the parts, plug'em in and go. I remember having to systematically go through iterations of dip switches to make a video card work. Write out all the possible patterns. Set the first one. Boot. Check for signal. Power down. Mark results. Set second pattern. Boot. Check for signal. Power down. Mark results. Set next pattern. Boot. Check for signal. Power down. Mark results.... Some four hours later I found the right one and BOOM.... 16 colors on the screen.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:23 AM

5 posts, read 3,386 times
Sounds incredibly annoying lol, but yeah, things are so much simpler now. It's really not that incredibly hard to comprehend how to assemble a computer. Hell I just recently taught MY grandma how to do it.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:47 PM

5,195 posts, read 5,522,494 times
The 13 inch mac book is a pretty sweet deal for $999, with almost the same specs as the MacBook Pro (probably means the next base pro models will have quad core processors).

Runs windows and OSX.

Don't know about Dell. Every one I know (2 brothers, One sister, 3 brother in laws and 5 friends) that owns a dell laptop has had nothing but problems with it. Thats not a good track record in my opinion.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:41 PM

Scar, my experience came slightly after that. First one that I built, that I needed help with was a 486 DX tower. MAN that was better than my $3500 IBM System 50Z!!! (12 MHz baby!!! And a 30 MEG HD!!!! WOOOO!!!!).

The problem of my era was mainly drivers and compatibility. You never knew what would work with what. And when you did not have "The Internets" to go to, you were kinda stuck......

Old 10-24-2009, 11:42 PM

Dinsdale (hedgehog?), my wife has had no problem with her 700m, we have had it 5 years now.

Of course, as soon as we got it I removed XP "home" and put Pro on it...... But that goes w/o screaming.....

Old 10-25-2009, 09:18 AM

5,195 posts, read 5,522,494 times
I'm not anti PC (anxious to try Windows 7) and not even anti-dell. I just put up a personal caveat regarding anecdotal information on people using dells. Take it for what is worth.

3 of the people mentioned have switched to mac books (one mac book pro) and are running Windows XP as well as MacOSX on them

(btw: the hedgehog was "Spiny Norman" and I intentionally spelled Piranha wrong)

Old 10-25-2009, 03:42 PM

Ahhhh.

I confess!!!!!!

I know what you are saying. This isn't really a PC/Mac debate here, but it just gets tough when people talk in generalities. Like with just about everything, you have to do your research before you go out and buy anything.

And, as people have been saying, building is getting easier. Especially with teh net. You can get a decent computer "recipie" right off the net that will give you no problems whatsoever (crucial memory, WD/Seagate drives, Intel Duo, etc etc). It won't be a screamer, but you won't pull your hair out either. You will also save a few hundred on a machine you now know how to install another drive on.....

Hell, just for the heck of it, you could buy the parts for a cheapie for under $500! (I put together a decent Shuttle media machine for under $700).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers