Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 05:27 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times

Advertisements

I am new to computers; so be kind and please no condescending replies...I am trying to learn on my own.

I have 3 gigabytes of RAM and would like to increase it. Is it possible to accomplish this with a USB Memory Plug in Device or something relatively easy???

THANK YOU AND ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. I have 400 Gigabytes Hard Drive...would increasing it's capacity also help any.....I think some of the spillover from your DDR2 drive can be "held" on your hard drive??

Sorry if my terminology is off...I am trying to comprehend how memory is managed. I would also like to increase the amount of space for my graphics driver...NOW...Windows limits me to 128 megabytes dedicated video memory...I can download better Graphics Drivers, but windows stops me because it will not allow more than 128MB.

Is there a way around this????? Or should I look into buying a graphics card with more dedicated memory? Are Graphics cards hard to install????

THANX AGAIN...P2S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 06:18 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I am new to computers; so be kind and please no condescending replies...I am trying to learn on my own.

I have 3 gigabytes of RAM and would like to increase it. Is it possible to accomplish this with a USB Memory Plug in Device or something relatively easy???

THANK YOU AND ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. I have 400 Gigabytes Hard Drive...would increasing it's capacity also help any.....I think some of the spillover from your DDR2 drive can be "held" on your hard drive??

Sorry if my terminology is off...I am trying to comprehend how memory is managed. I would also like to increase the amount of space for my graphics driver...NOW...Windows limits me to 128 megabytes dedicated video memory...I can download better Graphics Drivers, but windows stops me because it will not allow more than 128MB.

Is there a way around this????? Or should I look into buying a graphics card with more dedicated memory? Are Graphics cards hard to install????

THANX AGAIN...P2S
No, you cannot increase system RAM with a USB stick. Visit crucial.com and look up you PC to determine the maximum memory you can install. Unless your OS is 64 bit there's no point in adding more memory anyway.

As far as your hard drive, increasing it's capacity would only help if you have 10% or less of the drive as free space.

Windows does not limit the video memory, your video card has a fixed amount of RAM, Windows has nothing to do with the amount of video RAM. You can buy a better graphics card that has 512, 1GB or more of memory, the question is do you actually need it?

".....I think some of the spillover from your DDR2 drive can be "held" on your hard drive" No idea what that means but the answer is no, DDR2 is not a drive, it's a type of memory.

Please provide the make/model of your PC and what you do with it or want to do, we can then help recommend any upgrades you might need.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
No, you cannot increase system RAM with a USB stick. Visit crucial.com and look up you PC to determine the maximum memory you can install. Unless your OS is 64 bit there's no point in adding more memory anyway.

As far as your hard drive, increasing it's capacity would only help if you have 10% or less of the drive as free space.

Windows does not limit the video memory, your video card has a fixed amount of RAM, Windows has nothing to do with the amount of video RAM. You can buy a better graphics card that has 512, 1GB or more of memory, the question is do you actually need it?

".....I think some of the spillover from your DDR2 drive can be "held" on your hard drive" No idea what that means but the answer is no, DDR2 is not a drive, it's a type of memory.

Please provide the make/model of your PC and what you do with it or want to do, we can then help recommend any upgrades you might need.
I should have said memory...I read that some memory from RAM can be temporarily stored on the hard drive.

Thanx for answering about memory sticks...I have World Wide Telescope and other "programs" that seem to take up lots of drive space. I still have 90% free on hard drive, since I back up files and then delete the restore points etc.

I downloaded better graphics drivers nVidia 9000 something...got to 99% done and windows stopped it , saying only 128 MB dedicated to graphics and the new drivers need more space. I thought maybe there was a way around this? I have ,I think nVidia 6250 drivers now.

HP computer a6230n AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core processor 5600+ 2.8 GHZ.....32 bit operating system... Windows 6 (I think) service pack 2....Home Premium.

Thank you for your patience...I really am a novice and self taught. And Thank you for your time...I appreciate your replying. I hope I gave adequate information that made more sense...SORRY! Maybe my graphics are adequate,I don't do games but love the visualization that you can display with music...THAT is where I wanted better graphics......THANX.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:05 PM

No problem, that's what we're here for

You shouldn't even be thinking about more storage with 90% free space.

Windows takes care of swapping data in memory to the hard disk (pagefile) when it needs to be done, there is nothing you need or should try to do to alter this behavior.

You can't install a driver for a graphics chipset you don't have, you have a 6250 chipset, you can only install a driver for a 6250 chipset, no other driver will work. You cannot increase graphics memory by changing drivers, you have what you have.

You likely have Windows Vista (there is no Windows 6), with a 32 bit OS there's no point in adding more RAM, it won't do you any good as it won't be used.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
No problem, that's what we're here for

You shouldn't even be thinking about more storage with 90% free space.

Windows takes care of swapping data in memory to the hard disk (pagefile) when it needs to be done, there is nothing you need or should try to do to alter this behavior.

You can't install a driver for a graphics chipset you don't have, you have a 6250 chipset, you can only install a driver for a 6250 chipset, no other driver will work. You cannot increase graphics memory by changing drivers, you have what you have.

You likely have Windows Vista (there is no Windows 6), with a 32 bit OS there's no point in adding more RAM, it won't do you any good as it won't be used.
Thanks...now I understand...I really thought there was a Windows 6; since Windows 7 is being released...I guess I should not assume things. Yes I have Vista.

Iwas able to "change" the graphics...a little to WHQ....version of the original...it may be nVidia 6150...I forget and cannot find it listed.

I appreciate your help...when one is 50...arrgghhh! and just gets his first computer it's a bit difficult...LOL.

I also appreciate your patience....you helped answer a lot of my not necessary concerns.

One last question..I have formatted discs for backup...without any trouble. I bought double layer discs...thinking I could save...on number of backup copies.

I cannot format the double layer discs...are they not compatible with my system? Or won't work for file backup? I'm probably not doing something right.....LAST time I'll bother you.

God Bless and thanx...I have asked questions before ,but some posters just bust your cayones...or make fun of you. I really do appreciate the time and effort you have put into your posts.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
The specs for your PC show the drive is a double layer burner so it should work. I think that you should not have to "format" the discs, just burn the data to them and let the program take care of the formatting as it burns.

I looked at pictures of the back of your PC and notice that the graphics card is built in to the mother board. If you want a graphics card with more memory you need to buy a card and install it.

EDIT: I also noticed that the max RAM fr the PC is 8GB in four available slots. What you have is 1GB in two slots and 512MB in two slots for a total of 3GB. A quick addition would be 2 @ 1GB replacing the 2 @ 512MB which would bring your total to 4GB. You get the maximum by installing 2GB in each slot. You should be able to mix sizes, but it might be limited to matched sizes in paired slots, which is why it came with 2 @ 1GB and 2 @ 512MB.

A sample of 1GB pricing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...07858&name=1GB

A sample of 2GB pricing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ue&Order=PRICE

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 09-06-2009 at 03:37 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The specs for your PC show the drive is a double layer burner so it should work. I think that you should not have to "format" the discs, just burn the data to them and let the program take care of the formatting as it burns.

I looked at pictures of the back of your PC and notice that the graphics card is built in to the mother board. If you want a graphics card with more memory you need to buy a card and install it.

EDIT: I also noticed that the max RAM fr the PC is 8GB in four available slots. What you have is 1GB in two slots and 512MB in two slots for a total of 3GB. A quick addition would be 2 @ 1GB replacing the 2 @ 512MB which would bring your total to 4GB. You get the maximum by installing 2GB in each slot. You should be able to mix sizes, but it might be limited to matched sizes in paired slots, which is why it came with 2 @ 1GB and 2 @ 512MB.

A sample of 1GB pricing:
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Memory,Desktop Memory,DDR2 667 (PC2 5300),1GB

A sample of 2GB pricing:
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Memory,Desktop Memory,DDR2 667 (PC2 5300),2GB
Thank you also for your help. When I run file backup...with a blank disc...it says I must format the disc and it works...but with double layer, it tries but after a few minutes...says formatting failed?????

I understand the memory thing, but are the "slots" inside the computer...or all those different slots in front of console...I know what half of them are for and I do not think that is where you mean the slots are.

I thought I should be able to install a better graphics card...Thanx.

I appreciate your time and effort in helping a novice...

Old 09-06-2009, 04:33 PM

Yes, the memory sockets are on the motherboard inside the PC, but as I said, unless you want to purchase a 64 bit OS and format your hard drive and do a clean install, you shouldn't be considering a memory upgrade.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:08 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Yes, the memory sockets are on the motherboard inside the PC, but as I said, unless you want to purchase a 64 bit OS and format your hard drive and do a clean install, you shouldn't be considering a memory upgrade.
NHDave is right. My bad.....

Old 09-06-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I am NOT capable of performing that kind of work....thanx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers