Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,700 times

Advertisements

I know my computer is old however; I only use it for internet stuff at home. the past 2 days I cant get it to log on to anything. It takes about an hour to get on internet. Other computers in the house have no problem. It seems like its just spooling no matter what i try. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 03:30 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,982,813 times
first thing to do would be to scan for malware Malwarebytes.org
Download, install, update, and run a quick scan and post back with the results, along with system specs, CPU, RAM, free hard drive space, OS.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:28 PM

88 posts, read 201,090 times
do a system restore to a day before that and see if it works.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:26 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
If you don't have any malware, then I'd guess the hard drive might be ready to die. Bad sectors and other physical problems with a drive can slow the throughput down to a crawl which in turn makes Windows so agonizingly slow you wish it would just crash and get it over with. Take the side cover off the PC and listen very carefully to the hard drive. Is it making any repeating sounds? Hard drive seeking (sounds like ticking) is normally pretty random sounding but if you hear any rhythm or repeating, it's most likely on it's way out.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
If you don't have any malware, then I'd guess the hard drive might be ready to die. Bad sectors and other physical problems with a drive can slow the throughput down to a crawl which in turn makes Windows so agonizingly slow you wish it would just crash and get it over with. Take the side cover off the PC and listen very carefully to the hard drive. Is it making any repeating sounds? Hard drive seeking (sounds like ticking) is normally pretty random sounding but if you hear any rhythm or repeating, it's most likely on it's way out.
And usually along with this you'll see a bunch of disk errors in the event log; Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer, select system in the left pane.

Also a lesser known fact, if XP detects 3 read or write errors on the disk it will throw the drivers into PIO mode, further slowing things down.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:47 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,014 times
It could always be your modem as well. Ive had to replace 2 modems in 3 years. If you are running cable or dsl your local internet company should replace it for free.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
It could always be your modem as well. Ive had to replace 2 modems in 3 years. If you are running cable or dsl your local internet company should replace it for free.
Quote from the OP "Other computers in the house have no problem"
rules out any problem with modem.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:19 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
In Windows go to My Computer and right-click the drive C: icon. In the drop down menu click on Properties.

In the Properties dialog box click on the Tools tab. In the Tools tab click on Check Now. Fill both check boxes and click on Start. You will receive a message that the programs cannot run while in Windows and that they will run the next time you restart the computer. Click on Yes. Restart the computer and go to lunch.

Do this when you have some time to let the PC run. It is likely that these tests will take a while.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:32 AM

729 posts, read 1,299,456 times
In addition to what others have already stated:

1)How much free harddrive space do you have available AND how large is your hard drive?
2)How much RAM does your PC have?
3)Does your PC manage your virtual memory (if you have this feature turned on)?
4)When was the last time you performed a system defrag? Some people says it's useless, others say it works.
5)When you say you have an older computer, how many times (that you can think of) have you uninstalled/reinstalled programs? You could have invalid registry entires that will also slow down your PC.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:57 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Just realized no one has mentioned Ccleaner Download CCleaner 2.23.999 - FileHippo.com

This will do a great job of getting rid of junk. I would use it before doing my previous post if you haven't already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers