Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2009, 08:16 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,700 times

Advertisements

Two seperate questions and I am sorry but simple as it may seem there are things I really dont know.

First, I have a CD with treasured information that was given to me, I want to copy the info and give it to other family members. How can I keep on my CD and put it on other CDS? Or do I need to pay someone to do it and if so, who?

Took pictures from a family wedding on my camera, what is the best way to copy them and give them to family members? I do not want to use a site such as Photobucket. I want the most up to date technology on this one.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 08:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
First of all you don't want to store them solely on CD, burnable media can fail and when it does it's gone. You'll want to store them on your hard drive too, preferably two hardrives each with it's own copy. Burnable media like CD's should be used as third copy.

You need a CD/DVD burner to create CD's, do you have one? It's pretty standard on most computers.

Since the files are so large the best way to distribute any large amount of images is to burn them to disc.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:36 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,700 times
I do have cd burner but never used it. I was confused because the item is on a cd? Sorry I sound horrible.

So save to my hard drives on both my computers?

Old 09-19-2009, 09:12 AM

208 posts, read 469,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
I do have cd burner but never used it. I was confused because the item is on a cd? Sorry I sound horrible.

So save to my hard drives on both my computers?
Sure, just save them on your HD in case something were to happen to it you will still have your pictures however in order to not lose them from a HD failure you can upload them to a image hosting site like photobucket.com.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
First you'll need some CD's, there should be program in your start menu for copying them. Most likely NERO or Roxio software, when you open it up there should be a simple option that will run you through a wizard for making a copy. Really not hard at all

Old 09-19-2009, 09:52 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,730,853 times
Default You can clone CD's

If you have an older computer, many times the software that came installed for CD / DVD burning doesn't work any more. Maybe never worked all that great on day one. You will get error message after it is so far out of date.

You can get a freebie copy of a burner. I use Infa Recorder. Can get a copy here.

InfraRecorder » Welcome

This is simple to use and understand, does many things well.

As mentioned, storing data on CD's is not that reliable longer term. A better option is to buy an external hard drive. Partition it into virtual drives to both back up your Drive C OS and store all your critical data.

Many folks only have the one physical hard drive in their computer. Risky in a number of ways. If it fails you can lose both your OS and any data.

The better method is partition the Drive C into a drive for the OS and use any other partitions for data. That way if you have to reload the OS, will not lose the data. With that method and a complete backup on another physical hard drive like an external one, you have a very secure method of storing data. Data is in two physical spots, the external drives usually are not even turned on or spinning unless in needed use. They get far less wear and tear than a normal computer drive.

From those sources you can make many CD copy version for daily use or to give away. Infa Recorder does have an ability to make cloned CD copies. I think you probably need two physical CD / DVD drives in the computer. I've never used that function.

Use this opportunity to think about back ups in general. Both for your data and your OS. It is horrible if your hard drive crashes and nothing is backed up.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:11 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
If you are making multiple copies look for that option when you copy the CD. I use Nero Express and when I get to the screen where I can "name the disc" I also have the option of choosing how many I want.

When the current CD is done the tray slides open and you are prompted for the next CD. Makes it easy to get multiple copies made.

When I made CDS for all the family members with the info from my mothers albums I bought an inexpensive printer that prints on special CDs and made a collage of family pictures that was then printed on each CD.

This is the printer I bought. Works great. The pictures don't show the CD printing function, but if you read down in the description it tells you it will.

Amazon.com: HP D5460 Photosmart Printer: Electronics

There are a couple here that show the CD tray.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers