U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:37 PM

14,650 posts, read 16,133,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Maybe one day.
They sure are intriguing, but I just don't think they are ready for prime time.
You can get higher specs very easily in common desktops for less money.
A desktop is not practial for me. I use a laptop usually, but I like the idea of a bigger screen and the portability, which I need and which I cannot get in a desktop.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-20-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
This is an all in one Sony | For Business | VAIO All-in-One Desktop PC

To the OP, the brand names you mentioned are not unknown names, they are very well known to those in the industry, Asus and MSI make quality products. I personally don't recomend all in ones as they are basically laptop components in an LCD housing, once the warranty expires they can be very expensive to fix, but if you must have one, pretty much any one but Sony, as long is as it gets good user reviews.
In all the computers I have had in my lifetime (and that is a pretty big number), I have never found anyone who could "fix" a laptop. They have tried, Lord knows,, they have tried. One of the reasons I have had so many computers is that when my laptop "breaks" I just get another one! LOL I have a fantastic HP right now and all it need is a new HINGE. But when I asked the local "laptop repair" guy about it he just shrugged his shoulder.

The bottom line is, I guess, is that repairs is not a big factor in making my decision.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-20-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
When it comes to "all-in-one" computers there is only one that is the real deal.....Apple's imac computer. Everything is a bad second rate copy of a brilliant Apple idea.

So by a Mac imac and never look back "cause you'll never have to!

P.S. Check out Apple's refurbished imacs at the online store to save a bundle of money on an imac with a full apple warranty same as new.
I seriously went to look at one. Notwithstanding the price which did make me sweat a little, (I'm looking for something around $600), the learning curve was just too oppressive. I am an old DOS girl, and you wouldn't believe the amount of things I choose to do from the c:> command prompt. Not having that option with Mac would make me break out in a cold sweat, for sure.

Besides, there are so many MORE programs out there for PC than for Mac. Granted, there is probably something that compares to every possible PC program available, but I don't want to have to go hunting for it.

Besides, I am told that Windows 7 is the closest thing to the Mac interface yet, with the floating task bar and all.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-20-2009, 01:59 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,720,349 times
That Sony Vaio All-In-One looks good. I like the way the keyboard has is elevated, apparently for computer parts. I would check to see if they would get compromised if soemthing spills on the keyboard.
I've had Vaio desktops in the past. Solid machines with quality parts and useful software. The only thing I don't like about them is that Sony gets very proprietary with parts and software but for an all-in-one that shouldn't be a problem.
Dell has some with touch-screens. Not sure I'd like that, get enough fingerprints on the monitor as it is.
Dell Studio One 19 Desktop

Old 09-20-2009, 02:21 PM

18,733 posts, read 20,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Another please buy a Mac thread stolen by a user.
Agreed. I get the feeling we have a group of Apple employees here who are desperately trying to increase sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I seriously went to look at one. Notwithstanding the price which did make me sweat a little, (I'm looking for something around $600), the learning curve was just too oppressive. I am an old DOS girl, and you wouldn't believe the amount of things I choose to do from the c:> command prompt. Not having that option with Mac would make me break out in a cold sweat, for sure.

Besides, there are so many MORE programs out there for PC than for Mac. Granted, there is probably something that compares to every possible PC program available, but I don't want to have to go hunting for it.

Besides, I am told that Windows 7 is the closest thing to the Mac interface yet, with the floating task bar and all.

20yrsinBranson
$600 might be a tough price point unless the slowest available CPU is acceptable. And you can certainly forget a Mac at that price.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:23 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,393,737 times
Here ya go...

We actually have one of these sitting around, it still works.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:03 PM

6,423 posts, read 7,923,118 times
Quote:
In all the computers I have had in my lifetime (and that is a pretty big number), I have never found anyone who could "fix" a laptop. They have tried, Lord knows,, they have tried. One of the reasons I have had so many computers is that when my laptop "breaks" I just get another one! LOL I have a fantastic HP right now and all it need is a new HINGE. But when I asked the local "laptop repair" guy about it he just shrugged his shoulder.

The bottom line is, I guess, is that repairs is not a big factor in making my decision.

20yrsinBranson
Then you haven't talked to someone that actually knew what they were doing, replacing a hinge is a trivial repair.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:17 PM

615 posts, read 949,434 times
I'm still confused about exactly what those all in ones are, it looks like a regular monitor with a keyboard and the computer is built into the monitor? It didn't look very portable to me but this is the first I have heard of them and I haven't looked into them much so I might have a totally wrong impression.

Either way, I just bought an HP Laptop with better specs than the ones posted in the first reply for $550.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:43 PM

18,938 posts, read 28,358,015 times
Quote:
A desktop is not practial for me. I use a laptop usually, but I like the idea of a bigger screen and the portability, which I need and which I cannot get in a desktop.

20yrsinBranson
Then the all-in-ones are not for you either.
They are desktops.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:49 PM

18,938 posts, read 28,358,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
I'm still confused about exactly what those all in ones are, it looks like a regular monitor with a keyboard and the computer is built into the monitor? It didn't look very portable to me but this is the first I have heard of them and I haven't looked into them much so I might have a totally wrong impression.

Either way, I just bought an HP Laptop with better specs than the ones posted in the first reply for $550.
No, the all-in-ones are not portable. The monitors are HEAVY. These are desktop machines.
The all-in-ones have all the components integrated into the monitor and keyboard.
No tower of any sort.
The HP's are a type of touch screen, although it actually works as your fingers break light beams running along the surface of the screen. "Touch" is a misnomer.

But Windows 7 is designed to take advantage of touch screen technology, and the cool factor of the design indicates to me that they may well get popular over the life of Windows 7.

Yes, it is easy to get better specs in laptops and desktops.
I am still intrigued by the 25" touchscreen monitor and interface, though.
Maybe in 2011...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers