Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:52 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Also for those of you who say you need to click on ads to get infected, no. All you have to do is visit a website that runs ads with malicious scripts. And yes, you can have reputable websites populated with these malicious ads, some sites just don't screen their advertisers and only see $$. In general, most people have scripts and ads automatically run when they visit a site. That's why I recommend (if you use Firefox) to use NoScript and AdBlock. It's unfortunate you have to do all these things just to surf, but that's just the reality of what's on the internet.
If I were to visit a web site with IE and got some popup telling me I had 1,285 viruses, IE asked if I wanted to download an activeX control, and UAC asked if I wanted to proceed with the installation, I'd recognize it for what it was. Idiots click OK to whatever comes up and infect their computers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 12:01 PM

247 posts, read 379,950 times
There's also a free program called hijackthis. It's by Trend Micro. I use it all the time. It works great.

hope this helps ...

Old 10-07-2009, 03:50 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Ho View Post
There's also a free program called hijackthis. It's by Trend Micro. I use it all the time. It works great.

hope this helps ...
Yup, a great program for those that have the knowledge, not for use by the novice without seeking advise however. I've been using it since long before Trend Micro bought it.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:06 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Guys, looked over this whole thread and have the same sort of problem as the OP. Have windows vista, run firefox as my main browswer.

Yesterday, i started receiving pop up Vista anti-virus messages about blocking Firefox because I've been "infected w/the trojan-bnk.win3l keylogger" virus.

I've done a quick and boot scan w/Avast. no help. I open up Firefox and it warns me "visiting this site might pose threadd to your system" yada yada yada....I keep getting messages to "register your vista 2012 anti-virus".....but I think thats a scam.

I have a flash drive and another computer. Do I download latest version of malware bytes and try to run it on the computer and see if that works? I had a problem like this about a year ago and I think that worked, but I'm not 100% sure if that was the solution. I have avast/mcafee as virus protection.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:19 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Guys, looked over this whole thread and have the same sort of problem as the OP. Have windows vista, run firefox as my main browswer.

Yesterday, i started receiving pop up Vista anti-virus messages about blocking Firefox because I've been "infected w/the trojan-bnk.win3l keylogger" virus.

I've done a quick and boot scan w/Avast. no help. I open up Firefox and it warns me "visiting this site might pose threadd to your system" yada yada yada....I keep getting messages to "register your vista 2012 anti-virus".....but I think thats a scam.

I have a flash drive and another computer. Do I download latest version of malware bytes and try to run it on the computer and see if that works? I had a problem like this about a year ago and I think that worked, but I'm not 100% sure if that was the solution. I have avast/mcafee as virus protection.
Yep. Vista anti-virus is malware. Malwarebytes can probably clean it off, sometimes it has to be run in Safe Mode. Sometimes it leaves a proxy entry behind.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Yep. Vista anti-virus is malware. Malwarebytes can probably clean it off, sometimes it has to be run in Safe Mode. Sometimes it leaves a proxy entry behind.
ok ty. i downloaded the latest malwarebytes program onto a usb drive (from another computer obv). I will try it on infected computer later in safe mode....(crossing fingers..)

Old 11-29-2011, 08:40 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

Keep Avast and uninstall mcafee. Don't run both. Also download rkill (google it) just in case, and put in on your flash drive. Google the trojan's name to find info on how to get rid of it. Malwarebytes should be able to do it.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:54 PM

Thanks guys for the recommendations! This is why this is one of the most helpful sites out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers