Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:10 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

Trying to buy a PC TV tuner is driving me nuts, and I appreciate any help from those of you know more than me.

I have been reading descriptions, reviews, etc and the more I read the less I know.

From what I've been seeing these tuners capture 125 channels, but only those broadcast as Clear QAM, which is unencrypted digital.

So how do I figure out what is and isn't encrypted before I drop the bucks on one of these and find out it won't do what I want?

I've got a headache...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 09:19 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,497 times
Don't quote me on this, but I believe you should be able to pick up any channel that doesn't require their cable box or a cablecard to pick it up. I tried my ISP's cable box and thought it was crap (except for the built in DVR) Never had a tuner card but always wanted one.

I hope that might point you in a better direction.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:05 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
Pretty much everything except local stations will be encrypted. That's how they control what stations you get, especially based on the channels you paid for. I believe the only common way to use a computer for encrypted stations is to get a cablecard device.

I use a HDHomerun, which is pretty cool, as it is a networked device. All systems on the network can use it.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
On our cable system there's like 60 or 70 channels over analog, no box required. You need the box for the digital channels, special services etc. Since it's legal in our state to split cable in your own household you can use the box on one TV and still run cable to other TV's for the analog channels. Easiest way to find out if you have analog is plug the cable right into the TV and see what it finds.

Otherwise you'll need to use the output from the cable box to whatever inputs on PC tuner. AFAIK there is no PC tuners compatible with digital cable systems, it has to be run through the cable box first just like you would run it to the TV.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
On our cable system there's like 60 or 70 channels over analog, no box required. You need the box for the digital channels, special services etc. Since it's legal in our state to split cable in your own household you can use the box on one TV and still run cable to other TV's for the analog channels. Easiest way to find out if you have analog is plug the cable right into the TV and see what it finds.

Otherwise you'll need to use the output from the cable box to whatever inputs on PC tuner. AFAIK there is no PC tuners compatible with digital cable systems, it has to be run through the cable box first just like you would run it to the TV.

So the cable box decrypts the signal for the tuner which allows the tuner to display the decrypted channels?

This is what I keep hoping for, but can't seem to find the answer. I didn't think it was a tough question, so either it is or it's such a dumb question that no one thinks to add the info to their sites.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:37 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Sometimes these things do get complicated. I think what I would do is test to see if the channels I want come in when the cable is connected directly to a common TV set. The tuner in a TV card should be able to find a similar set of stations. It obviously can't unscramble or anything like that, so I'd test for likelihood of success with a TV.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:54 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
So the cable box decrypts the signal for the tuner which allows the tuner to display the decrypted channels?

This is what I keep hoping for, but can't seem to find the answer. I didn't think it was a tough question, so either it is or it's such a dumb question that no one thinks to add the info to their sites.
The easiest way to find out what channels on your service are available unencrypted? Hook your cable line directly to your TV, no cable box, do a channel scan, then see what you have, you usually will end up with your locals, plus the analog channels for TBS, USA, TNT, maybe discovery, TLC, the history channel, etc, I have about 40-50 channels I can get without an STB.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
No matter what you have today, it could well change in 2011, when cable companies are freed to stop sending any analog channels. When that happens, your little tuner will be stuck with whatever's on Clear QAM.

The Time-Warner cable system here only sends local broadcasters in Clear QAM, which amounts to about 10 channels, in addition to 50-60 analog channels and hundreds of encrypted digital channels. IMO, the cable company would love to go back to making customers pay for a set-top box on every TV and most of them will drop analog as soon as it's legally possible to do so.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The easiest way to find out what channels on your service are available unencrypted? Hook your cable line directly to your TV, no cable box, do a channel scan, then see what you have, you usually will end up with your locals, plus the analog channels for TBS, USA, TNT, maybe discovery, TLC, the history channel, etc, I have about 40-50 channels I can get without an STB.
We have a TV set up like this and are satisfied that we will be able to record enough channels to be happy. This is what I thought would happen, but wanted to be sure before spending any money on a card. I know I wasn't asking the questions in a very clear manner, but some things just seem to throw me.

^^^^^^^^^ 2011 sounds like it might throw a monkey wrench into things.

Thanks everyone.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:52 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
I forgot about the 2011 thing, What Bowie said will likely happen, any way they can squeeze another dime out of their customers.

The other 2 tuner options right now are to feed the STB to the PC tuner and have it control channel changing, or purchase a certified Media Center PC which includes a cable card tuner (you can't purchase them standalone), then you have to rent a cable card from your provider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers