Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2009, 07:35 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times

Advertisements

so, i have clumsy fingers or something, and somehow i blocked the master pages function. the two master pages at the top of your "pages" palette has disappeared, and i can't figure out how to restore it. i have restarted the computer multiple times since this happened, and it now boots with the master blocked, so i think that i somehow hit a few buttons that told it to hide them or to throw them out or something.

is there a system default anywhere that i can reset in order to get it back, or a command anywhere that will start opening it with the master pages ready?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 10:55 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
A couple of possible fixes. First, undock the pages palette.
There should be a line separating the Master pages from the layout pages. See if that has gotten moved to right up under the "pages" tab. If it has, just drag it down the same way you would a guide line and your masters should be back on top.
If that doesn't work, on the upper right corner there's a tiny little circle with a triangle on its side. Click on that and see if any of that helps. The Show/Hide master button seems to just work on the layout. Check the Palette options menu and see if that helps.
If none of that works, you'll need to trash the preferences files. Something that always needs to be done somewhere along the way with Adobe programs.
Instructions: These are supposed to work in CS3, They don't in CS2. I do appreciate that Adobe is making it easier to find and trash them.

See the "Set defaults" topic for info on restoring preference settings. Here's what it says in a nutshell:

(Windows) Start InDesign, and then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.

(Mac OS) While pressing Shift+Option+Command+Control, start InDesign. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to find them on your computer and delete them. Instructions are here:
http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/InDe...cb3f-6d1e.html

Last edited by knoxgarden; 10-20-2009 at 11:06 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 11:33 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
A couple of possible fixes. First, undock the pages palette.
There should be a line separating the Master pages from the layout pages.
See if that has gotten moved to right up under the "pages" tab. If it has, just drag it down the same way you would a guide line and your masters should be back on top.
If that doesn't work, on the upper right corner there's a tiny little circle with a triangle on its side. Click on that and see if any of that helps. The Show/Hide master button seems to just work on the layout. Check the Palette options menu and see if that helps.
If none of that works, you'll need to trash the preferences files. Something that always needs to be done somewhere along the way with Adobe programs.
Instructions: These are supposed to work in CS3, They don't in CS2. I do appreciate that Adobe is making it easier to find and trash them.

See the "Set defaults" topic for info on restoring preference settings. Here's what it says in a nutshell:

(Windows) Start InDesign, and then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.

(Mac OS) While pressing Shift+Option+Command+Control, start InDesign. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to find them on your computer and delete them. Instructions are here:
InDesign CS3
that one! that was it. i have been trying for weeks to figure out what i did. so simple.

now i have my indesign back!

thanks, i would never have noticed that on my own.

aaron out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers