U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 04:41 PM

2,618 posts, read 5,285,273 times

Advertisements

I bought a dell XPS (400 or 500 I think?) about 4 or 5 years ago that at the time was fairly high end, 3 Ghz Dual Core, 2 GB RAM (maxed RAM), decent vid card.

I'd like to buy a laptop instead. I don't do a TON of gaming on my computer, but when I do I'd like to have pretty good graphics and enough RAM to run multiple applications and switch in/out often. I play a lot of RTS's on my comp, and dabble once in a while on WoW.

Here's what I've looked at:

Dell Alienware - seems a little too high end for me, but maybe I'm wrong? I don't know if I'd utilize all the specs.

Dell XPS Laptops - I liked the XPS desktop, lasted me a long time and only crashed/restored once in like 5 years. Was good performance most of the way through.

Apple Laptops - I'm not as familiar with the apple's laptop product line, but I know people love it, and I have an iPhone 3GS and I love it. Is apple compatible with most games these days? I heard they at least didn't used to be...

I'm looking for any suggestions or recommendations on what laptop would be semi-high performance for gaming but would last a while and isn't TOO overpriced...

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 06:11 PM

10,683 posts, read 17,076,518 times
Apple's aren't even in the running for gaming unless you only plan on playing the limited selection of games that are available for them. Look at the games you want to play, get a list of the hardware requirements for those games, and get a laptop that exceeds those requirements.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:01 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,751,656 times
Check CyberpowerPC.com They build laptops as well as desktops.
A friend who is into gaming really likes the ones he's had them build for him.
They do semi-custom work. You can the basics and then up or down grade it.
CyberPower Inc. - UNLEASH THE POWER - Create the Custom Gaming PC and Laptop Computer of your dreams

Old 11-06-2009, 11:37 AM

2,618 posts, read 5,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Check CyberpowerPC.com They build laptops as well as desktops.
A friend who is into gaming really likes the ones he's had them build for him.
They do semi-custom work. You can the basics and then up or down grade it.
CyberPower Inc. - UNLEASH THE POWER - Create the Custom Gaming PC and Laptop Computer of your dreams
Thanks!

Old 11-06-2009, 12:15 PM

22,770 posts, read 25,258,326 times
cyberpowerpc is bad news.

so is iBuyPower - which i suspect is run by the same people, since they have more or less the same website, and are located a few blocks away. Which, BTW, is a few blocks away from newegg, who is probably their supplier.

they are cheap and configurable, but both companies have very bad reputations, based on bad customer service, and a propensity for selling PC's that are DOA.

cyberpowerPC actually has an urban dictionary entry that describes what happens to people who buy their PC's.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:43 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,751,656 times
I'm sorry to hear that. They used to produce really nice computers but it has been awhile since I've talked to any major gamers about them.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:13 PM

27,005 posts, read 38,255,153 times
Look through this list. Every laptop here has a dual core Intel CPU. Most should fit the bill, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend...

Newegg.com - PCs & Laptops,Laptops, Notebooks & Netbooks,Laptops / Notebooks,Intel Core 2 Duo

Old 11-10-2009, 07:58 AM

339 posts, read 1,119,936 times
I would recommend a Dell XPs M1530, but they recently stopped producing them. They were great for price/performance ratio, and for reliability etc. I am actually using one right now, and I can say that for about 750 (in a sale) I got enough of everything to run most major games very well.

Unfortunately, the XPS M1730 line are no where near as good on the price/performance ratio, and alienware is likely to be overkill.

One of the other things you have to look at is portability. Would you be lugging the laptop around all day, or would it be left in your house and used just there? This is a necessary consideration, because the higher spec laptops are likely to be a lot heavier than cheapo ones.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:33 PM

7,376 posts, read 12,553,245 times
Xps are still great gaming laptops

Old 11-10-2009, 02:42 PM

1,441 posts, read 3,886,029 times
I had the opportunity to compare several bigger gaming brands (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.) and found that if you have the cash, go with the XPS. I went with the best bang for my buck, which was a Gateway FX (7805u, not sure if they still make that anymore). It pretty much ran everything on high setting, without any overclocking, on a high res 17" screen. I bought it last year refurb'ed for $700, an equivalent Alienware was selling for $3000 new. The Gateway case design isn't as nice as Dells, but it really didn't justify a few thousands dollars extra to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers