U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 11:05 PM

109 posts, read 162,118 times
Default HDMI cables

Ok so whats the truth about HDMI cables. I read and hear about not falling for these expensive cables and how the higher gigabite cables provide a better picture and all of that. I went to best buy today and basically they said for the money that you invest in a tv, dont skimp on a cheap cable. The information he told me about the cables seemed logical, but I wanted to hear it from a techie and not a salesman.

I have a 1080p 60hz LCD and a standard blueray player. I dont watch sports or play games. Just watch regular tv and movies. What do I need to give me a fantastic picture that I will be happy with.

Also they offered to claibrate the tv for 200 bucks. He told me that they hook up a computer to the tv and basicly adjust it internally. Can't a THX disc work just fine?

Thanks for the input.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 03:33 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,849,005 times
Don't listen to Best Buy. They're just trying to sell you something for as much money as possible.
Go here:
CablesforLess
They've got three grades of HDMI cables and an explanation on what the difference is and when you need it.
Great company, great prices. I've been buying cables from them for years.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:18 AM

6,814 posts, read 8,421,153 times
200 bucks to adjust it internally? First I doubt there's anyone at best buy qualified to adjust a TV from the inside, second there's no way in H#$@ that I'd want anyone from best buy muckin around inside my brand new TV.

That service has rip off all over it.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:08 AM

19,256 posts, read 29,728,079 times
Calibration is not physically internal to the TV.
It is adjustment of the settings.
LCD TV Calibration: Learn to Calibrate your LCD Television

I am somewhat colorblind, and can REALLY screw up settings on a TV.
So, we paid Best Buy to calibrate our plasma TV.
While I have second thoughts about the value at $200, it did improve the picture, and greatly lowered the heat radiating from the screen.
I assume heat is wasted energy/$$, and justify the calibration from the efficiency perspective.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:44 AM

1,856 posts, read 5,739,040 times
You can use a Pixar Films DVD. They have the calibration tools included.

This might help. Please help calibrate my new Samsung 46" LN46A630 - AVS Forum

Old 11-12-2009, 08:31 AM

6,814 posts, read 8,421,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Calibration is not physically internal to the TV.
It is adjustment of the settings.
LCD TV Calibration: Learn to Calibrate your LCD Television

I am somewhat colorblind, and can REALLY screw up settings on a TV.
So, we paid Best Buy to calibrate our plasma TV.
While I have second thoughts about the value at $200, it did improve the picture, and greatly lowered the heat radiating from the screen.
I assume heat is wasted energy/$$, and justify the calibration from the efficiency perspective.
Much of that heat is from the brightness being set at maximum out of the box which is usually way too high, I run mine around 50%.

That $200 probably got your TV about 5 minutes of attention from the best buy employees.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:45 PM

12,372 posts, read 12,236,070 times
Buy HDMI cables from www.monoprice.com. Do not succumb to the Worst Buy sales guy. The markup on "premium" cables is unbelievable. That's why they push them so much.

A TV calibration done by a person certified by the Imaging Science Foundation (ISF) is worth it for a high quality TV. They access service menus and settings not normally available. They also use test instruments that measure the light output of the panel. If the Worst Buy certification is an ISF certification - go for it.

Spend $5 on the cable instead of $100 and use it on the calibration.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:44 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,639,430 times
I'd do a disc calibration. Everybody's eyes and room lighting are different, so you'll need to tinker with the numbers a bit for your own viewing pleasure.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:26 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,317,311 times
I have a BA in audio/video production and have worked on numerous films and let me tell you firsthand, those premium cables are a waste of money, especially digital cables like HDMI. The way an HDMI cable works is it sends a digital signal (i.e. 1's and 0's) to your television to be decoded. Unless you're experiencing picture or sound breakup while watching movies (most likely a result of a faulty cable or an insufficent gauge), your picture isn't going to get any better by upgrading to Monster Cable. Sending 1's and 0's through a luxury cable doesnt make them anything better than 1's and 0's going through a budget cable from Radio Shack. It's all the same in the end.

We had a class in college and one day and the topic was on premium cables and their myths. The professor set up two identical TV's with the identical DVD's and DVD players. One had plain jane cables and the other had Monster premium cables that cost about $50 more. The picture and sound looked exactly the same.

The vast majority of recording and sound design studios don't bother with those so you shouldnt either.

Edit- I just read your original post again and couldn't figure out if an HDMI cable is worth using or if a premium HDMI cable is worth investing in. Yes, get an HDMI cable but get the chapest one available.

Last edited by Adric; 11-12-2009 at 05:22 PM..

Old 11-12-2009, 05:34 PM

1,856 posts, read 5,739,040 times
[quote=Adric;11601701]I have a BA in audio/video production and have worked on numerous films and let me tell you firsthand, those premium cables are a waste of money, especially digital cables like HDMI. The way an HDMI cable works is it sends a digital signal (i.e. 1's and 0's) to your television to be decoded. Unless you're experiencing picture or sound breakup while watching movies (most likely a result of a faulty cable or an insufficent gauge), your picture isn't going to get any better by upgrading to Monster Cable. Sending 1's and 0's through a luxury cable doesnt make them anything better than 1's and 0's going through a budget cable from Radio Shack. It's all the same in the end.

QUOTE]

I got a real chuckle from that other board. There is a guy that signs his posts with, "There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't."
Your post just reminded me of his signature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers