U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:11 PM

1,482 posts, read 4,776,885 times

Advertisements

I've been happily using OE for years but since Windows 7 doesn't support it I've been having to look for other options. I installed Windows Live Mail but I didn't like the way it worked/looked. I installed Thunderbird but didn't like that at all. I've never been an Outlook fan but it seems to be becoming my only choice. Is there a good client I'm missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 05:18 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,532,218 times
What didn't you like about Thunderbird? And what is it about Outlook that you like so much that you'd prefer it over Thunderbird?

My experience - both personally as an occasional user of Outlook, and professionally as an IT pro for the better part of two decades - is that Outlook is a major piece of crap.

I started using Thunderbird a couple of years ago and have no reason to go looking for another client. It's feature rich and very extensible - kind of like Outlook, but without the expense or the bugs.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:11 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,951,275 times
What do you want or need it to do?
Mozilla has also developed Sea Monkey which is an all in one web app that includes e-mail. You might want to try that.
The SeaMonkey® Project
IBM offers Lotus Notes for a fee.
IBM - Lotus Notes - Features and benefits

Old 12-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,926 posts, read 33,706,961 times
I was a dedicated Eudora and Thunderbird user for years. Nowadays webmail, specifically hosted Gmail, has gotten to be so good that I stopped using a mail client about 2 years ago. Using webmail, I can always count on read/unread messages being marked correctly in my Inbox no matter what device I use to read my mail from. Plus Gmail's search is both better and faster than any mail client I've ever used. Maybe you should consider switching?

Old 10-22-2010, 07:44 AM

964 posts, read 2,380,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
What do you want or need it to do?
Mozilla has also developed Sea Monkey which is an all in one web app that includes e-mail. You might want to try that.
The SeaMonkey® Project
IBM offers Lotus Notes for a fee.
IBM - Lotus Notes - Features and benefits
Lotus Notes is the worst program of any kind since the Turing Machine.

I Hate Lotus Notes

Old 10-22-2010, 07:58 AM

24,503 posts, read 36,056,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Lotus Notes is the worst program of any kind since the Turing Machine.

I Hate Lotus Notes
Those who hate it are the ones that don't know anything about it. Lotus Notes is incredibly robust with a rapid development environment unmatched by any other product out there.

Outlook is the best for email and general collaboration, primarily because it's incredible intuitive. Lotus Notes has a learning curve, but certainly more powerful.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:45 AM

11,913 posts, read 14,032,420 times
Try "The Bat".

RITLabs. The Bat! Email Client

Old 10-22-2010, 12:20 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,398,720 times
Gmail > local client

Old 10-22-2010, 02:55 PM

6,391 posts, read 10,871,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I was a dedicated Eudora and Thunderbird user for years. Nowadays webmail, specifically hosted Gmail, has gotten to be so good that I stopped using a mail client about 2 years ago. Using webmail, I can always count on read/unread messages being marked correctly in my Inbox no matter what device I use to read my mail from. Plus Gmail's search is both better and faster than any mail client I've ever used. Maybe you should consider switching?
Same here. For a home user web based e-mails are more than enough and work the best I think. At work we use Outlook which is quite typical unless it is some sort of an engineering related firm which might prefer Lotus Notes.
If this is for home, I say stick with what Bowie suggest and as an addition to that check out Inbox2.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:57 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,579,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Gmail > local client
Meh, I still prefer a client over webmail. I'll use the gmail site when I travel, but for everyday use I still like to use thunderbird.

OP
Thunderbird and Eudora are the only two other clients I can think of. I'm not sure why you didn't like Thunderbird, but I'd recommend giving it another shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers