Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 02:03 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times

Advertisements

This is something that I have wondered about for a long time....

....why do PC's have those little stickers on them that tell you what processor and sometimes version of Windows that is installed? They are more prominent on laptops, but on many towers as well. I don't get it. What purpose do they serve. What I also don't understand is why people keep them on.

Is this some sort of status symbol? "Hey, look at me, I have AMD processors!" Big whoop-dee-do!

If I ever buy a PC laptop, the first thing that I am going to do is peel these damn things off.

Honestly though, what is with the stickers?

Old 12-04-2009, 02:25 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Component vendors and Microsoft require them as part of their licensing agreement with the computer manufacturers.
When you buy an Intel processor, the decal comes in the box, with stipulation you stick it on the case.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 12-04-2009 at 03:24 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 02:49 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
When AMD became a force in the microprocessor business Intel really worked to define itself as a preferred brand. That's when the "586" became a Pentium. Intel didn't want processors to be invisible to the buyer so they branded their chips and promoted them via labels. I'm sure they were required of the PC manufacturers as said already.

For uninformed consumers - it may give them some comfort to see a brand they see advertised on TV. Geeks like us don't care.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:28 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
This is something that I have wondered about for a long time....

....why do PC's have those little stickers on them that tell you what processor and sometimes version of Windows that is installed? They are more prominent on laptops, but on many towers as well. I don't get it. What purpose do they serve. What I also don't understand is why people keep them on.

Is this some sort of status symbol? "Hey, look at me, I have AMD processors!" Big whoop-dee-do!

If I ever buy a PC laptop, the first thing that I am going to do is peel these damn things off.

They're like those tags on your bed mattress. Don't remove them or They will come after you and no one will hear from you again.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Component vendors and Microsoft require them as part of their licensing agreement with the computer manufacturers.
When you buy an Intel processor, the decal comes in the box, with stipulation you stick it on the case.
Who cares about the licensing deal, they can just put the decals on the box or all over the owner's manual.

What's next, burning the image into the casing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
For uninformed consumers - it may give them some comfort to see a brand they see advertised on TV. Geeks like us don't care.
An uniformed consumer can just read the specs on the spec card or box or just believe everything that the salesperson tells them (as they will do anyways).

Old 12-04-2009, 04:44 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Who cares about the licensing deal, they can just put the decals on the box or all over the owner's manual.
The OEM's do, if they don't adhere to requirments they can get canned, Microsoft for example requires the Windows COA (license sticker) to be stuck on the PC somewhere, if mfg's don't do it they're in violation and can lose their ability to include WIndoes on their PC's.

I am an OEM system builder, I've had a few customers request the sticker be kept on the Windows OS shrink wrap package and I have to explain to them why I can't do that.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:34 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:

What's next, burning the image into the casing?

An uniformed consumer can just read the specs on the spec card or box or just believe everything that the salesperson tells them (as they will do anyways).
The licensing deal could include some big carrots - like marketing money. Or lower prices. These are very powerful incentives to use the stickers.

Why would an uninformed person look at the specs? My dad would call me instead of even trying to read the specs.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The OEM's do, if they don't adhere to requirments they can get canned, Microsoft for example requires the Windows COA (license sticker) to be stuck on the PC somewhere, if mfg's don't do it they're in violation and can lose their ability to include WIndoes on their PC's.

I am an OEM system builder, I've had a few customers request the sticker be kept on the Windows OS shrink wrap package and I have to explain to them why I can't do that.
Then why not put it on the bottom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Why would an uninformed person look at the specs? My dad would call me instead of even trying to read the specs.
If they were into brand names, what difference does it make if the sticker on the casing mentions this brand or the box?

But why would they? I dunno, maybe because they are going to spend some $$$ on a computer.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:56 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Then why not put it on the bottom?
No one would see it on the bottom of the computer and the whole point is to promote the brand. Intel provides a lot of marketing support to OEMs who play ball.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:02 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
Quote:

It's all about branding/marketing. Imprints (ads) cost money, so the more places you get your name out there, the more likely the consumer will remember your name and product. Intel provides deals and money for people that sell their products, hundreds, even thousands of dollars for ads and promotions. Like when Dell computer ads are on TV and the Intel logo and sound comes up, that means in most cases Intel gave them some money. Most companies don't mind the extra money/deals. I used to work at a smaller reseller and they gave regular meetings once or twice a year with presentations and free gift drawings and steak lunches, etc...

The fact that you saw the stickers and read the name Intel or Microsoft, etc... is the purpose, you read their name and it's in your head now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers