Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 07:00 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,502 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the whole laptop thing. I don't even have one yet but am going to get one. How does WiFi work? Does one need a service provider? Some people say they don't pay for it. I'm clueless. All I know is that I looked at Dell laptops and they want you to sign a 2 year contract for AT&T data connect plan but it is $60 a month! That seems really high. Unless I can use it on my home computer too...help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 07:07 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,839,572 times
I have a Toshiba laptop that I bought for $299 about 8 months ago. I bought it at Best Buy and I didn't have to sign any contracts. I do have AT & T for my regular computer and I use a wi-fi modem and so my house is wi-fi. I use the laptop in the dining room and I keep my desktop on all the time, but never use it. I love my laptop. I might be paying around $50 for my AT &T but I have the fastest connection.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:40 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
I have a Toshiba laptop that I bought for $299 about 8 months ago. I bought it at Best Buy and I didn't have to sign any contracts. I do have AT & T for my regular computer and I use a wi-fi modem and so my house is wi-fi. I use the laptop in the dining room and I keep my desktop on all the time, but never use it. I love my laptop. I might be paying around $50 for my AT &T but I have the fastest connection.

So can you take the laptop elsewhere and use it? I am trying to figure this out because we are venturing from Redneck hell to Florida to find jobs and would like an internet connection on our journey.
Thanks for responding!

Old 12-08-2009, 08:15 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,696 times
Wireless for a laptop is not like wireless for a cell phone. There is limited range. In gy2020's example above, he has an internet connection to his home that he pays for. On that internet connection, he has a wireless router, which is a device that allows things like wireless laptops to connect through it to his home's internet connection.

So it goes like this:

Your computer --> wireless router --> internet connection.

Many businesses offer wi-fi service, such as Starbucks. But while you are driving on the road, you most likely will not have internet service. That's where internet capable cell phones come in. They use the cellphone towers to provide internet service on the road.

A few cities offer wireless coverage, but you would need to check with the individual city to find out if they do and where it is available.

Once you get to your destination, you will need to find or establish an internet connection with a wireless router in order to use the internet on your laptop. Most internet providers today provide a wireless router as a standard part of their equipment. So when you move in and order your internet service, you will probably get a wireless router as part of the equipment package.

Many hotels and motels also offer wireless internet as a feature, though you may have to pay for access to it.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:26 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
I think the OP's question is more fundamental and basic.

Every notebook computer sold today has wireless ethernet capability. That means it can connect to any standard "wifi" network. These networks have a range of 100-150ft. Not all of them are free. Many coffee shops, restaurants, public places, etc. have free wifi. You simply boot your computer, fire up the wireless network manager, select the network, and click the connect button. You are on your way.

Other places, like airports, and most Starbucks I have been in - have non-free wifi. You will connect just with free wifi networks - but you will have to pay for your time on the network. When you start your browser you will be presented a form to complete and enter a credit card or a wifi userid (like T-Mobile).

Another way to get wireless internet is using cellular networks. That is what Dell is selling. It is a "data" plan with AT&T that probably requires a USB-based cellular modem. Some notebooks have them built in - but usually for just one brand of cellular service. This kind of service generally works wherever cellular service works although the speed will vary widely.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:10 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
The cellular data plans are also subject to usage limits and much slower than with a typical high speed modem and wireless router.

Most hotels I have been at offer free interent nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers