Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 01:29 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times

Advertisements

Is it time to replace or repair? I’ve got an older (10 yrs +/-) pc that has been running well for the most part with very few side effects or issues. It has been doing everything I’ve needed so I keep poking at the keyboard. However an issue has come up and I’m confused and need advice.

First the OS is XP and I’m using Firefox, and the problem is also found IE8 as well. Now that’s out of the way, the problem is an error message when I receive an email with a PDF file and try to print it. It opens without issue but attempting to print the PDF a small window opens stating “unable to start print job; is printer available”. Well “yes” the printer is available and it works well. I can print any document and also cut&paste the PDF file to a document and print that doc without issue. So why am I having problems with printing the pdf file directly?

The Adobe Reader is 8.1.7 that is being used. Printer works for everything except the pdf print function.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 02:01 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times
Have you checked to make sure Adobe is trying to print to the correct printer?

Also, the installation might have become corrupt somehow. You might try uninstalling Reader 8 and installing the new version. Reader 9 is out now. Even if that doesn't help your printing problem it still might be beneficial.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:21 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
You may also find it works better to save the attachment and then open it with Acrobat Reader and print it.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:05 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,661,334 times
In Reader, go to File>Printer Properties and make sure the proper printer is selected and there aren't any odd choices in the setup.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts everyone. However

I checked the printer options to make sure that wasn’t an issue. I also verified that the pc was talking to the printer and actually printing, it prints other word documents etc. I believe the adobe reader has become corrupted in some way, thus I get the error message when trying to print pdf files. Nothing is hanging in the print-spooler as everything else is printing fine.

I checked to see if I could remove the adobe program from the pc and reinstall it but I get another error that says:

Quote:
This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package.
So I can’t even remove the adobe software from the pc to reinstall.

I also checked early on to make sure I didn’t have any virus attack and did a scan to recheck that issue, but nothing showed up.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:56 PM

Do you have any software installation CDs that came with the Reader installer? Some do, particularly Adobe programs.
You may be able to install it from that. Don't worry about uninstalling the present version.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Do you have any software installation CDs that came with the Reader installer? Some do, particularly Adobe programs.
You may be able to install it from that. Don't worry about uninstalling the present version.
LOL,,,, if I can find the original disk it might be there, however it's close to 10 +/- years old and would be an old version. I don't think I can go backwards in version without removing the newer one first. I'll look around and see if I have the original software that came with the machine when I purchased it.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:48 AM

It doesn't have to be that software, lots of programs include Acrobat Reader. I think Microsoft Office/Word does, most Adobe programs like Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, etc. include it on the CD.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:46 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Your installation of Adobe Reader has become corrupt and the uninstaller cannot remove it. You will have to remove it manually. The instructions to do this are at Manually remove Adobe Reader (8.x on Windows)

Old 12-18-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Your installation of Adobe Reader has become corrupt and the uninstaller cannot remove it. You will have to remove it manually. The instructions to do this are at Manually remove Adobe Reader (8.x on Windows)
Thanks It looks like this will do the trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers