U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:33 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,397,348 times

Advertisements

I have a Vista computer with a Intel Pentium Processor, R D cpu 3.20 GHZ, 3.19ghz, and Memory, 1GB. of RAM, with a 32- bit operating system.

I looked at my computer to see how much free space I have left. This is what it says: Recovery D= 4.33 gb free out of 9.72 gb.

And under Local Disk: I have 1.61 gb, free space out of 2.23 gb. So, it seems it is getting closer to the end. Right?

I have gotten rid of some programs, in order to increase the free space, but there are many that I do not know if it is okay to get rid of them, so I have left them alone.

How do I put more RAM into my computer? And what is the process that takes place in order for me to do that. Can it be downloaded straight into the computer? Thank You,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 08:45 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,346,982 times
Memory and disk space are two different things. What you're describing is disk space, not memory. Your C drive is the important one because that's where Windows, programs, and your data are all stored. How much free space do you have on your C drive? The D drive on your computer is the recovery partition and isn't meant to be used by you. I don't know what "Local Disk: I have 1.61 gb, free space out of 2.23 gb" because you didn't list its drive letter.

You have 1GB of RAM which is painfully inadequate for Vista. RAM is not something you can download. It is hardware that must be installed in slots on the motherboard inside your computer. Go to RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com with Internet Explorer and use their system scanner to see what kind of memory you have and if you have any slots open. Most likely, you have two 512MB pieces of memory with two slots open. If that's the case, I'd get two 1GB pieces and install them in the empty slots. That'll give you 3GB which will make a huge improvement in how Vista operates.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:45 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,306,896 times
RAM is a piece of hardware. You have to open the computer case and install it within the motherboard.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:47 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,648,207 times
You are mixing up two things. RAM which is system memory and hard drive space which is system storage. Even then those numbers look off.

For RAM it looks like you have 1 Gig. You would need to know the motherboard make/model and exactly what type of memory is in there now before we could tell you how to upgrade it... or even if you can. Odds are though that for pretty cheap you can add a second Gig which can help the system run a lot smoother.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Memory and disk space are two different things. What you're describing is disk space, not memory. Your C drive is the important one because that's where Windows, programs, and your data are all stored. How much free space do you have on your C drive? The D drive on your computer is the recovery partition and isn't meant to be used by you. I don't know what "Local Disk: I have 1.61 gb, free space out of 2.23 gb" because you didn't list its drive letter.

You have 1GB of RAM which is painfully inadequate for Vista. RAM is not something you can download. It is hardware that must be installed in slots on the motherboard inside your computer. Go to RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com with Internet Explorer and use their system scanner to see what kind of memory you have and if you have any slots open. Most likely, you have two 512MB pieces of memory with two slots open. If that's the case, I'd get two 1GB pieces and install them in the empty slots. That'll give you 3GB which will make a huge improvement in how Vista operates.
I have a Gateway Model 5428, serial #XCV74 210 08654, which I bought at Best Buy, at the end of 2007. It has 1gb. It is a 32-bit system from Vista, and has an Intel Processor with VIV. It must have been made in TIMBUKTU because Gateway has no information for it. However, Canada was mentioned in a few places. All I found is that if I bought it at Best Buy in 2007, it has a 13 characters alphanumeric.

I went to Crucial.com, and had a scan done. They say I have a system configuration of 1GB current memory, 512MB 512MB, with 0 slots. They suggested up to 4 gb only. 2gb 2gb for $125.95. Now, if I have 0 slots, where do we put the it.......................... thanks,

Old 12-21-2009, 08:32 PM

Default Escape California

I could not find driver C. I looked under "Computer," Is not there.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:00 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,536,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
I have a Gateway Model 5428, serial #XCV74 210 08654, which I bought at Best Buy, at the end of 2007. It has 1gb. It is a 32-bit system from Vista, and has an Intel Processor with VIV. It must have been made in TIMBUKTU because Gateway has no information for it. However, Canada was mentioned in a few places. All I found is that if I bought it at Best Buy in 2007, it has a 13 characters alphanumeric.

I went to Crucial.com, and had a scan done. They say I have a system configuration of 1GB current memory, 512MB 512MB, with 0 slots. They suggested up to 4 gb only. 2gb 2gb for $125.95. Now, if I have 0 slots, where do we put the it.......................... thanks,
If you have 32-bit Vista, you will only be able to use a max of 3GB (the 4th GB is rendered useless). If you only have two slots total and your 2x512MB are taking them up, you will have to replace them completely. You can either get 2x2GB (which will give you 3GB that's usable) or get 2x1GB. It depends on what you use your computer for to decide if you need the 3rd GB. Unfortunately I've never seen a 1.5GB RAM stick.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
I could not find driver C. I looked under "Computer," Is not there.
Look again.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Look again.
I found Recovery [D] 4.33gb free of 9.72gb
Local Disk [C] 1.61 gb free of 2.23gb?

DVD RW Drive [E]
Compact Flash [G]

I through J: are all removable disks.

I looked through Windows information, System Restore, Properties, Default Programs, Welcome Center, Maintenance, System Summary, Virtual and Physical Memory, and all the basic information, and under Soft Hardware, I found a c/windows/s/kernel driver, [IS THIS IT?] with a huge list of what appear to be files [?] which tells me whether they are running, disabled, or stopped. Under Signed Drivers another list of names similar to the above one, including Motherboards, etc., which I do not know how this is supposed to help me, if I do not know what I am looking for................

Can you give me a hint................?

Old 12-21-2009, 11:07 PM

Something's missing here. "Local Disk [C] 1.61 gb free of 2.23gb" should be your C drive where Windows would be installed. But, 2.23GB is way to small to be a hard drive in this century and it wouldn't hold a Windows installation, much less with 1.61GB free. It is possible to have Windows installed on a drive other than C but I've only seen that when Windows has been reloaded by someone at home. I've never seen a PC come from the factory like that.

Vista has a program called the snipping tool. Click Start and type snip. The snipping tool will come up at the top of the list. Use that to take a picture of your Computer window and attach it to a post. See the attached picture for what Computer looks like on my system. I have Windows 7 so it's a little different than Vista but pretty similar. I've circled My C drive. It has a little Windows flag on it which indicated that that's where Windows is installed. I think Vista does the same thing.

Last edited by EscapeCalifornia; 08-09-2011 at 01:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or