U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 12:52 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,702,444 times

Advertisements

Is there an "all-in-one" printer out there that only uses black ink? Please give me a brand name and model number. My husband says they do not exist. I need fax, copier and printer.

NO more color printers, please! HP just told me to "upgrade" to a new printer because the hardware went bad. I hardly used this printer and it was always covered when not in use. Not to mention that I had to buy new color cartridges that expired just to be able to print in black.

Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 01:01 PM

19,691 posts, read 31,496,365 times
Dell Black & White Laser Printers | Dell

Go laser and get B&W.
I have a Dell 1815DN, which works well for us.
http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/printe...on&s=dfh&cs=22
It was a refurb, which is a great way to buy at Dell.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:04 PM

23,271 posts, read 17,639,241 times
I don't think they make a printer without a separate ink cartridge for black, you should be able to set the print job to use just black ink. I know on my printer you can.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:10 PM

11,726 posts, read 24,729,612 times
I've recently set up a couple of Canon 4370DN printers. Its a monochrome (black-only) laser, scanner, fax. The scanner has a sheet feeder. It connects either directly to one PC via USB or to your network via Ethernet. When connected to the network, any computer on the LAN can scan from it, print to it, or send a fax out through it. They go for about $200 on Newegg or Amazon.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:17 PM
f_m

2,290 posts, read 5,292,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't think they make a printer without a separate ink cartridge for black, you should be able to set the print job to use just black ink. I know on my printer you can.
I agree, you should be able to set the printer driver to print in black only, so you won't need a color cartridge. On my HP there is a "print in greyscale" option, so no color.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:41 PM

14,811 posts, read 8,117,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
I agree, you should be able to set the printer driver to print in black only, so you won't need a color cartridge. On my HP there is a "print in greyscale" option, so no color.
My HP All-in-one has that "print in greyscale" option, too. Are you saying that as long as that option is clicked, one does not need a color cartridge?

Old 12-29-2009, 04:20 PM

17,192 posts, read 20,203,102 times
I am very happy with our Canon all in one. I'm not home, so I don't know the model number (it might be the 4370d ..dn is for networking). It uses only ONE cartridge, instead of two. Also, if you call with a question you get an American in VA who speaks English.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:22 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,491,446 times
You have to have a color cartridge in there but it doesn't have to have any ink in it.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:33 PM

23,271 posts, read 17,639,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Are you saying that as long as that option is clicked, one does not need a color cartridge?
You can try it but the printer may complain about the missing cartridge and refuse to print, same thing if a color cartridge goes empty. Going to vary by model/manufacturer. I know mine will refuse to print if the color is "empty". The best thing to do if you were just going to print black is keep a old cartridge(s) around with a enough ink.

There are hacks available for some printers that will allow you to circumvent the manufacturer settings such as resetting the link levels so it thinks it is full.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:01 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,702,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You can try it but the printer may complain about the missing cartridge and refuse to print, same thing if a color cartridge goes empty. Going to vary by model/manufacturer. I know mine will refuse to print if the color is "empty". The best thing to do if you were just going to print black is keep a old cartridge(s) around with a enough ink.

There are hacks available for some printers that will allow you to circumvent the manufacturer settings such as resetting the link levels so it thinks it is full.
My HP printer did not allow me to print even though I replaced a yellow cartridge with a new one today. It said something about the health of the printer being in danger . Also, I could never locate the "grayscale" printing option.

Anyway, I searched my issue on google and another customer had the same problem with the yellow ink cartridge. He/she called it "the yellow ink cartridge syndrome" for my AIO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers