U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-15-2010, 07:30 AM

5,748 posts, read 3,843,517 times
Default Why Do Wireless Routers Stop Working?

I just replaced my Linksys wireless router with a Netgear wireless router(wow, what a signal). This is my third wireless router in 6 years.

I'm getting one helluva-fast signal so I'm not complaining too much, but why do routers stop functioning in the first place? There are no moving parts, the case is never warm to the touch, so why do routers conk out? Any ideas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 07:47 AM

7,271 posts, read 7,348,440 times
Do you run peer 2 peer? Most likely your nat table is behing exhausted by a machine running p2p applications.

P2P and malware can send out thousands of connections. Typically, a gateway device runnning NAT will not release the stale connections immediately. Therefore, when all dynamic NAT ports are used up, the device is not responsive.
If firmware update doesn't resolve your problem, then run spyware, malware, and anti-virus scans.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:48 AM

14,076 posts, read 9,747,045 times
I've never had one fail. I still have my first wireless router in use - a WRT54G. I have a second WRT54G connecting to it as a client, and I also have a Buffalo draft N router downstairs as the link for the Media Center Extender in the bedroom. I set up my girlfriend's place with a TrendNet - her mom's using it now. I've also bought a DLink draft N to use for the MCE link, but the throughput sucked bad, which is why I bought the Buffalo. I gave the D-Link to my mom along with a wireless photo frame I bought her for Christmas.

As for why they fail, nothing lasts forever. I do wonder why yours are failing every 2-3 years, though. If you have really dirty power, that can wear them out or even kill them outright.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:57 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,707,211 times
Default !

"Dirty power" wouldn't be a problem if the power supply was designed properly.

Personally, I haven't had good luck with any of them. They are just junk from China. I think I've bought one every year or two. I've had a few I had to unplug every few days. One that made so much noise I couldn't hear anything on the amateur radio bands, or AM talk radio, so that had to go. One that started screaming when I was transferring data. Yes, it made a noise!

I've been told Apple's routers are made better, but they are pricey.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:59 AM

6,932 posts, read 8,598,835 times
There may be no moving parts but there are electronics, they are just as unreliable as moving parts and will fail without warning or gradually over time.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:39 AM

8,379 posts, read 12,023,986 times
I've never had a router fail. I'm running two Linksys WRT54Gs (one as a router and one as an access point) as well as a repeater, and all have been in place for years without any issues.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:11 AM

5,748 posts, read 3,843,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Do you run peer 2 peer? Most likely your nat table is being exhausted by a machine running p2p applications.
I didn't think of that. Yes, my older son runs all kinds of P2P stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
As for why they fail, nothing lasts forever. I do wonder why yours are failing every 2-3 years, though. If you have really dirty power, that can wear them out or even kill them outright.
Something else I hadn't considered. We have constant power failures and power surges. At least twice a week we have a brief power failure...it's not just our house, but the entire street.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:47 AM

6,932 posts, read 8,598,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Something else I hadn't considered. We have constant power failures and power surges. At least twice a week we have a brief power failure...it's not just our house, but the entire street.
That could do it. I'd consider installing a UPS on your network equipment. I have one with my cable modem, wireless router, and VOIP telephone box on it so if I lose power I still have phones and internet for a while, keeps the surges and brownouts at bay as well.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:56 AM

19,059 posts, read 21,756,773 times
It's a machine. Machines wear out. Components fail. Life goes on.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:05 PM

11,128 posts, read 8,498,867 times
I agree with NHDave on the UPS, as it not only keeps surges at bay, it also ensures clean stable power even if there are under/over voltage situations due to poor power supply.

I live in very rural Tennessee and power is a serious issue, and I've lost two routers and a server due to poor power conditions. A UPS solved this problem for me, although I took a direct lightning strike not too long ago in which I'm surprised I had any electronics left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers