Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:03 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times

Advertisements

To be honest your need a tower instead of a standard case. Better airflow. Next time you will know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:13 AM

994 posts, read 1,681,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Penguin, I notice we have similar styled case arrangements and that your Zahlman mounted fore and aft, exhausting towards the rear case fans, nice. Yes, they sure don't give you much in a tube of Arctic Silver, as the new CPU faces have a good deal of surface area. You could use a tube for several builds back during the Athlon/Duron days as the faces were about 20% the size of the newer CPUs. You might even see a little more drop in your temps over the course of the next week as the CPU grease sets up and fan vibration gets it settled a little better, or at least I did during one of my recent power box builds. (about another 5% drop@cpu, no change in case temp)

I had to laugh at your hamster wheel comparison but hey, cool is the rule right. I know when I dropped that XIGMATEK HSF in the first thing I thought was that it reminded me of a VW beetle engine compartment as the heatsink was almost the size of a Volkswagen bug oil cooler. Its massive! I took a picture the other day with a cell phone cam, so its not very clear but the arrangement probably looks familiar.

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac43/tnhilltopper/computer-tech-stuff/systemairflow.jpg (broken link)

The case is set with a front 140mm intake to draw air over the drive bays and supply the video slot and cpu. Bottom mounted power supply/w 120mm fan, with its own filter to isolate it from the case. two 140mm exhausts, one on the top of the case which worked perfect for my build and one at the rear which is unused as my case is already a hurricane inside. The case side door has room for two more 120/140mm fans but really aren't needed for my application. The motherboard side of the case has a vent for a 80mm slim line fan to help cool the back cpu mount on the motherboard, but I don't really need it either.

I could probably shut down my cpu and intake fan during the winter months and use it passively as my temps without a fan are still with in range of a stock rig. This case is predrilled for a water cooling system, but I don't have the guts or the need to go that far yet, but as CPU's continue to get hotter, who knows, it may be the standard some day.

I am curious if your rig is running Linux as a primary OS because something I've noticed while being booted up on Ubuntu 9.10 and the previous distro was that while idle the temps were about the same as while booted up on Windows, however under a load they were a bit higher (about 3C higher). Have you noticed this? I've heard others mention that their Linux boxes ran a tad bit warmer but had always figured this was just due to the monitoring software.
I run Kubuntu 9.10_64 as primary OS and I too have noticed a slight temp increase vs Windows XP. I also have a slight issue with cpufan throttling... when I play 3D intensive game such as Nexuiz the cpufan will spinup...but refuses to spindown. At least it was the issue with my stock phenom2 heatsink/fan which would run up to 5000rpm+. I have tried Nexuiz with my current and it does not seem to happen. I have my flippers crossed. I also notice that my GPU fan runs faster on Kubuntu then Windows..I don't see this as a problem really...perhaps since Nvidia is using setting 1 for performance mode. I too have two holes with rubber inserts for water cooling..but since I do not overclock cpu..I see no real reason to risk a sticky mess. I have been wondering about non conductive liquid in regards to water cooling..I have looked on newegg...but can't seem to find any info about it. This is the case I am using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811233026

Old 01-21-2010, 11:50 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
To be honest your need a tower instead of a standard case. Better airflow. Next time you will know.
Well I ditched a 5 year old Antec full tower SOHO case that had about the same amount of steel as a Yugo and weighed just as much. It was set up as the standard of the day, top mounted pwr supply, 80mm case fans and had enough room that I could have rented out several drive bays to migrant workers. However bigger doesn't necessary equate to better airflow. Most of the newer modern cases are set up with minimum 120mm case fans and I have noticed a few 250mm door fans out there now, but more importantly is the arrangement of intakes and exhausts to facilitate air moving over components. Running 2 x 140mm cases fans, a 120mm pwr supply fan, 120mm cpu fan and a 80mm gpu fan provides all the cooling I could possibly need as I don't OC my cpu and my current temps are 1-2 degree C over ambient as it is. Thats about as good as anyone could ask for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
I run Kubuntu 9.10_64 as primary OS and I too have noticed a slight temp increase vs Windows XP. I also have a slight issue with cpufan throttling... when I play 3D intensive game such as Nexuiz the cpufan will spinup...but refuses to spindown. At least it was the issue with my stock phenom2 heatsink/fan which would run up to 5000rpm+. I have tried Nexuiz with my current and it does not seem to happen. I have my flippers crossed. I also notice that my GPU fan runs faster on Kubuntu then Windows..I don't see this as a problem really...perhaps since Nvidia is using setting 1 for performance mode. I too have two holes with rubber inserts for water cooling..but since I do not overclock cpu..I see no real reason to risk a sticky mess. I have been wondering about non conductive liquid in regards to water cooling..I have looked on newegg...but can't seem to find any info about it. This is the case I am using Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GZ-FA2CA-AJB Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Sweet case, ample flow and plenty of space. While I'm not a big fan of the computer "light show", I'm coming around to it as I figure its no different than a fancy paint job on a hot rod.

I'm going to guess that Nvidia had a proprietary driver set in your latest distro? I know that with Ubuntu 9.10, the build had a driver set that offered basic function but it was the only driver I had to download a full version of in order to fully utilize my gpu. I don't mind that my gpu fan runs full out either, as I figure better more air than less.

I found this site, "Frozen CPU" that has a lot of inventory for modding cases for cool and for quiet, in case you haven't ran across it before.

FrozenCPU.com | 1.877.243.8266 | World's Largest Selection of PC Modification Supplies

Old 01-21-2010, 12:50 PM

994 posts, read 1,681,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well I ditched a 5 year old Antec full tower SOHO case that had about the same amount of steel as a Yugo and weighed just as much. It was set up as the standard of the day, top mounted pwr supply, 80mm case fans and had enough room that I could have rented out several drive bays to migrant workers. However bigger doesn't necessary equate to better airflow. Most of the newer modern cases are set up with minimum 120mm case fans and I have noticed a few 250mm door fans out there now, but more importantly is the arrangement of intakes and exhausts to facilitate air moving over components. Running 2 x 140mm cases fans, a 120mm pwr supply fan, 120mm cpu fan and a 80mm gpu fan provides all the cooling I could possibly need as I don't OC my cpu and my current temps are 1-2 degree C over ambient as it is. Thats about as good as anyone could ask for.

Sweet case, ample flow and plenty of space. While I'm not a big fan of the computer "light show", I'm coming around to it as I figure its no different than a fancy paint job on a hot rod.

I'm going to guess that Nvidia had a proprietary driver set in your latest distro? I know that with Ubuntu 9.10, the build had a driver set that offered basic function but it was the only driver I had to download a full version of in order to fully utilize my gpu. I don't mind that my gpu fan runs full out either, as I figure better more air than less.

I found this site, "Frozen CPU" that has a lot of inventory for modding cases for cool and for quiet, in case you haven't ran across it before.

FrozenCPU.com | 1.877.243.8266 | World's Largest Selection of PC Modification Supplies
Oh man... on the website find..newegg has ok selection..but not really in the eyecandy department. I use the 185 nvidia driver that I found in apt-get. I have been considering compiling the 2.6.33 kernel so that I can get my lm-sensors to work ( yes I found out it finally supports my mobo...only took em 1+ years :P ) but then I will have to rely on the beta nvidia drivers and well...with 64bit...I am a bit cautious.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:10 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
The more electronics you pack into a small box the hotter its going to get inside. Also with a tower you have more room for more fans and a bigger heat sink.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:10 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
The more electronics you pack into a small box the hotter its going to get inside. Also with a tower you have more room for more fans and a bigger heat sink.
Yes this is true to the extent that the more power consumed by whatever you put inside a computer case will generate more heat. The ability for a case to dissipate and evacuate heat isn't necessarily dependent upon case size.

The picture I posted is of a mid tower ATX case with the capability to install 6 case fans, 5 140mm fans and 1 80mm fan and unless you have a fusion reactor inside your case, I think 6 case fans would adequately remove heat from any computer set up. This case also happens to have one of the largest heatsink fans available on the market installed in it as most cases are a standardized width and height usually is meant to offer more drive bays, server set ups, ability to internally mount liquid cooling systems, and ease of equipment routing.

Whether full tower or mid tower, I think what is more important is how well the air you have available is able to cool your equipment.

I do like full towers myself for the simple sake of room to work, but there are times when a person doesn't require such a large case, especially one that is nearly 3 feet tall and glows like a neon sign.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Almost no one needs MORE fans. This is a common mistake to cooling issues - just add a fan (or two or three!).

Most people seem to pay no attention whatsover to what the fans are doing. It does very little good to stir air around.

The whole point is to cool hot components and exhaust the air - not mix hot air inside the case.

The vast majority of systems with a medium power graphics card need just two case fans - one intake fan blowing cool air over the hard drives, and one exhaust fan on the rear panel. A good power supply has a bottom mounted 120mm or 140mm fan to cool the power supply and exhaust some air from the system. The cpu fan and heat sink should ideally direct hot air to the rear of the case - not up - into the power supply. A design like that does not need a blowhole fan (top) or a side fan. A side mounted vent can be useful to allow INTAKE of cool air.

All air entering the system should be filtered if possible to reduce dust buildup in the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers