Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 02:13 PM

449 posts, read 874,651 times

Advertisements

Here I am again, with a new problem, folks, seeking your help again! I have a buffer overrun that I cannot seem to be able to fix it because I do not know how. I went to IE for help and it seems that lots of people have it, but all the help gears me toward Reg Cure, who says that I have corrupted registry problems, and they will fix it for $29.95. It is supposed to optimize, clean, scan, and repair my pc. It says that my computer will freeze and crash, if I do not get this overrun repaired. The overrun says: programs:...systems 32\spool\drivers\W32X86.........and request I should get help with it.

I also had Uniblue which is registry cleaner, scanner, speed accelerator, and optimizer.

What do you guys suggest? Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 02:31 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,628,300 times
I did regcure. It scans your pc and puts out 2500 registry issues which need to be gotten rid of.

They just want your money.

As a test, I have been having reg cure on my home server for the last 2 years. It scans every night and asks me to subscribe. I just laugh and hit close. And my server's been running great the whole time

If the issue is isolated to IE, download firefox. It's fast, easy and no nonsense. It's free too.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:00 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,528,453 times
Ccleaner will clean the registry, and it's free. Answer yes to backing up the registry the first time you run it, and run it repeatedly until there is either nothing found or the same couple of items are found over and over. But only back up the registry on the the first run. If you run it again next month then repeat the back up on the first run again.

Download CCleaner 2.27.1070 - FileHippo.com

Top right corner.

BTW, I apologize for letting your earlier question get past me regarding hibernation. Yes, it's the same hibernation you set when you close down for the night.

If you have a tendency to leave the PC on and just put it to sleep every night I recommend restarting it at least once a week. Things can get wonky if you don't.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:13 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,830,477 times
Buffer overruns are the result of programming errors - sloppy coding on the part of the developer writing the program, though all of us who write software have accidentally created one at one time or another, assuming you're programming in a language where they are possible. Typically the registry would have nothing to do with the error in the first place, so anything that touches the registry would have no effect on fixing these types of errors.

The usual fix for this type of error would be a updated version of whatever software/driver/whatever is causing the problem. Buffer overruns are often exploited in viruses, so vendors are usually responsive in fixing buffer overruns. I've also used virus detection suites that could detect buffer overruns in executables. Although it is not ideal, in these situations you can sometimes tell the security suite to ignore the buffer overrun, which enables the program to continue running. You need to tell us what is detecting the buffer overrun. Is it the Visual C++ runtime that is detecting the buffer overrun, or is it another piece of software, possibly part of a security suite?

Old 01-23-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Buffer overruns are the result of programming errors - sloppy coding on the part of the developer writing the program, though all of us who write software have accidentally created one at one time or another, assuming you're programming in a language where they are possible. Typically the registry would have nothing to do with the error in the first place, so anything that touches the registry would have no effect on fixing these types of errors.

The usual fix for this type of error would be a updated version of whatever software/driver/whatever is causing the problem. Buffer overruns are often exploited in viruses, so vendors are usually responsive in fixing buffer overruns. I've also used virus detection suites that could detect buffer overruns in executables. Although it is not ideal, in these situations you can sometimes tell the security suite to ignore the buffer overrun, which enables the program to continue running. You need to tell us what is detecting the buffer overrun. Is it the Visual C++ runtime that is detecting the buffer overrun, or is it another piece of software, possibly part of a security suite?
It is the Visual cc+

Old 01-23-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
It says that my computer will freeze and crash, if I do not get this overrun repaired.
I hope they aren't claiming they can fix the buffer overrun - that would be a sign that the error message is in fact fake, and the result of extortion-ware (malware) infection that is trying to force you to buy a product. Unless the buffer overrun was caused by a virus infection, the fix has to come from the vendor of the software causing the buffer overrun.

Quote:
The overrun says: programs:...systems 32\spool\drivers\W32X86.........and request I should get help with it.
Are you trying to print, or do you have queued print jobs when you see the buffer overrun message? What is the rest of "c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\..." ? There should be something that ends in .dll. That should point to a printer driver you've installed - there may be an update available from the vendor. c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\ is where 32-bit printer drives get installed.

There is a small possibility that a virus infection could cause this sort of error to appear in a print driver, so you should run a virus scan just to eliminate that as a possible cause.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I hope they aren't claiming they can fix the buffer overrun - that would be a sign that the error message is in fact fake, and the result of extortion-ware (malware) infection that is trying to force you to buy a product. Unless the buffer overrun was caused by a virus infection, the fix has to come from the vendor of the software causing the buffer overrun.

Are you trying to print, or do you have queued print jobs when you see the buffer overrun message? What is the rest of "c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\..." ? There should be something that ends in .dll. That should point to a printer driver you've installed - there may be an update available from the vendor. c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\ is where 32-bit printer drives get installed.

There is a small possibility that a virus infection could cause this sort of error to appear in a print driver, so you should run a virus scan just to eliminate that as a possible cause.
Yes, Reg Cure states that it can fix the overrun.

This is how it started: I downloaded IE 8, and right after that, I was not able to print through the computer. IE 8 started giving me other problems, so I disabled it, and now have IE 7, but still no luck. I have not disabled the printer yet, because someone told that I will have to disable some drives connected with it, and I have no idea what they are talking about. I have Vista Home, 32 bit, Windows 6, Vista Service Pack 2.

I also get the following message sometimes, "Printer status interface has stopped working and was closed by Microsoft Windows." [from Interactive Services. ]

By now, you have probably discerned that I know little about computers. Thank you for trying to help me...........it is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:04 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,628,300 times
Quote:
Yes, Reg Cure states that it can fix the overrun.

This is how it started: I downloaded IE 8, and right after that, I was not able to print through the computer. IE 8 started giving me other problems, so I disabled it, and now have IE 7, but still no luck. I have not disabled the printer yet, because someone told that I will have to disable some drives connected with it, and I have no idea what they are talking about. I have Vista Home, 32 bit, Windows 6, Vista Service Pack 2.

I also get the following message sometimes, "Printer status interface has stopped working and was closed by Microsoft Windows." [from Interactive Services. ]

By now, you have probably discerned that I know little about computers. Thank you for trying to help me...........it is greatly appreciated.
That's some issue there

I thank God every day I'm a Linux/Solaris guy. I'd go crazy with all the MS issues. I use MS only for voice chatting and winamp.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
That's a mess. There's no substitute for having someone knowledgeable and competent in front of the machine diagnosing what's wrong. That would be the best course of action IMHO.

Is it possible for you to go back in time with the System Restore feature to a point before you installed IE8, and before your printer software started causing you problems? This is something you could try yourself.

It sounds like your printer driver installation may have been corrupted, so uninstalling it and reinstalling it is worth a shot. But I think you should go the "knowledgeable friend" route or try System Restore first.

BTW, as I said before, most buffer overruns are caused by programmer error, and cannot be fixed except by patches from the vendor of the offending program. The only claims I've seen that "Reg Cure" can fix buffer overruns appear to be from clueless end-users, who don't even know what a buffer overrun is.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
That's a mess. There's no substitute for having someone knowledgeable and competent in front of the machine diagnosing what's wrong. That would be the best course of action IMHO.

Is it possible for you to go back in time with the System Restore feature to a point before you installed IE8, and before your printer software started causing you problems? This is something you could try yourself.

It sounds like your printer driver installation may have been corrupted, so uninstalling it and reinstalling it is worth a shot. But I think you should go the "knowledgeable friend" route or try System Restore first.

BTW, as I said before, most buffer overruns are caused by programmer error, and cannot be fixed except by patches from the vendor of the offending program. The only claims I've seen that "Reg Cure" can fix buffer overruns appear to be from clueless end-users, who don't even know what a buffer overrun is.
I am willing to try system restore, since I do not have a "knowlegeable friend," if you would be so kind and explain to me the steps to take. Thank you,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers