Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 05:23 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times

Advertisements

I just got my HP inkjet cartridges refilled at one of those refill places.

I put them in and it's printing but my computer still shows that it's only got 30% colored ink and 20% black.

I've turned my printer off and on. I even restarted my computer... but printer's not registering that the cartridge is full.

The cartridges feel heavier than they were and, as I said, now it's printing.

Anyone ever had that happen after you've gotten old cartridges refilled?

Does HP have something in the cartridge chip that knows it's the same cartridge...???

I've never gotten cartridges refilled before. Is this normal?

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-06-2010 at 06:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 07:38 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Yes, it is, when you *just* refill, and do not know how to *re-set* the cartridge itself.

Sometimes, you need to have a couple of cartridges, and remove and replace them a couple of times. I assume it confuses the printer and it then forgets that you just added a *new Full* cartridge.

You can cycle cartridges through to reset the level. You will need two extra cartridges and the one you refilled. First, put the refilled cartridge in the printer. Allow it to recognize the cartridge and print an alignment page. Take that cartridge out and place in the first extra cartridge. Allow it to recognize and print an alignment page. Take the first extra cartridge out and place the second extra cartridge in. Allow it to recognize and print an alignment page. Take the second extra cartridge out. Place the refilled cartridge back in the printer. It will print an alignment page and then the estimated ink level will be reset to full.

Maybe this works for you ?

Last edited by irman; 02-06-2010 at 07:47 PM..

Old 02-06-2010, 09:11 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I just got my HP inkjet cartridges refilled at one of those refill places.

I put them in and it's printing but my computer still shows that it's only got 30% colored ink and 20% black.

I've turned my printer off and on. I even restarted my computer... but printer's not registering that the cartridge is full.

The cartridges feel heavier than they were and, as I said, now it's printing.

Anyone ever had that happen after you've gotten old cartridges refilled?

Does HP have something in the cartridge chip that knows it's the same cartridge...???

I've never gotten cartridges refilled before. Is this normal?
I run Canon printers and found out the hard way (read expensive) that after market inks used in refills just don't print like the inks from Canon do.

Been there done that sure as heck ain't gonna do it again!!

Old 02-07-2010, 09:20 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
after market inks used in refills just don't print like the inks from Canon do.
Costco now offers cartridge refilling, and I tried them.
I was surprised by the quality of the results.
10 green ones is not bad to get your 40 dollar cartridge back .....

They *used to* sell a 20 dollar kit which did not work for HP ink cartridges at all.
Red was not red anymore, etc ....
Black was OK, but then black is black .... no ?
And 20 dollars was not bad for 4 - 6 refills.

So I still bought the kits for a long time, and ended up with a whole bunch of color refill bottles.
Mixed them all together and ended up with some dark ugly purplish ink.
I use that in a *special* cartridge I have when I run check prints ......

The trick, to do it yourself, which you could do, is to find out exactly which ink (brand name and colour number) is in what.
Again You and Google will make perfect partners there.

Last but not least ...
In some cases, you might as well buy a new printer each time you run out of ink .....
Some of the printers I have seen are ridiculously low priced ....
In the printer business, money is earned in the cartridge sector, NOT in the printer itself.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:50 AM

I just read how to hard reset my printer online. I'm going to try it.

I'll let you know if it works!

Old 02-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Yes, it is, when you *just* refill, and do not know how to *re-set* the cartridge itself.

Sometimes, you need to have a couple of cartridges, and remove and replace them a couple of times. I assume it confuses the printer and it then forgets that you just added a *new Full* cartridge.

You can cycle cartridges through to reset the level. You will need two extra cartridges and the one you refilled. First, put the refilled cartridge in the printer. Allow it to recognize the cartridge and print an alignment page. Take that cartridge out and place in the first extra cartridge. Allow it to recognize and print an alignment page. Take the first extra cartridge out and place the second extra cartridge in. Allow it to recognize and print an alignment page. Take the second extra cartridge out. Place the refilled cartridge back in the printer. It will print an alignment page and then the estimated ink level will be reset to full.

Maybe this works for you ?

They have a machine that does the refilling. One would think that their machine would reset the cartridge.

I just did a "hard reset" of my printer and that didn't change the reading. I definitely think there's a built in identifier that needs resetting!

I don't have an extra cartridge right now.... hmmm...

I'm just trying to decide if I should have them re-do it.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I run Canon printers and found out the hard way (read expensive) that after market inks used in refills just don't print like the inks from Canon do.

Right now, I'm not needing anything special printed so I'm not too concerned about the quality.

You're right about the way they print, though. The black is not nearly as black as it once was.

I spent $20 on these refills instead of $70 for 2 new ones.

What did I expect?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:57 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Right now, I'm not needing anything special printed so I'm not too concerned about the quality.
Like you all I wanted was print on a page. What I got from the off brand ink was a plugged print head and ink drying up in the cartridge overnight !

I finally got the print head to work again by soaking it in alcohol overnight and blowing it out with compressed air. I don't need that kinda grief just to save some bucks so I'll just use what I know works and comes with a warranty of performance backed by Canon.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:55 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I used to have an Epson printer. One day I decided that I didn't want to spend the $$ for new cartridges, so I had the existing empty ones refilled. They clogged my printer heads, and I ended up throwing the printer out. I replaced it with an HP inkjet printer.

I replaced that printer only because I bought an HP Deskjet F2210 printer/scanner/copier online from Walmart for $41, including shipping. I buy my ink cartridges from eBay, and they run me under $30 for two, depending on who I buy from. I called HP, and they wanted $40 for two. I've never had cartridges refilled again, and won't.

Last edited by moved; 02-07-2010 at 12:05 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I used to have an Epson printer. One day I decided that I didn't want to spend the $$ for new cartridges, so I had the existing empty ones refilled. They clogged my printer heads, and I ended up throwing the printer out. I replaced it with an HP inkjet printer.

I replaced that printer only because I bought an HP Deskjet F2210 printer/scanner/copier online from Walmart for $41, including shipping. I buy my ink cartridges from eBay, and they run me under $30 for two, depending on who I buy from. I called HP, and they wanted $40 for two. I've never had cartridges refilled again, and won't.
My other printer is an Epson. I've been told that they can't refill Epson printer cartridges. Maybe that's why.

Where did you get your Epson cartridges filled when that happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers