Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 09:22 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,400,390 times

Advertisements

I placed an ad on craigslist for some computer help,and some of the responders said they could help but wanted access...I don't think that's a good idea since we recently had some big problems with hackers.

But is this the new way? Don't places like Geek Squad come to your house?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 09:54 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,637,020 times
I wouldn't call it new .... We've been using remote access with our clients since the '90s (all the way back to DOS). It's become far more prevalent than it was 10 or 15 years ago as the tools have gotten much better, and modern internet speeds allow better access.

Geek Squad will come to your house, but they charge more than they do if you let them do it remotely.
Virus & Spyware Removal - Geek Squad

There's also a good chance that the responders aren't in your local area, so they can't actually come to your house.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:01 AM

61,221 posts, read 86,083,221 times
Remote access is the only way to look at your computer other than coming to your home. Permission is OK, and you will see on your monitor what they are doing. You can interrupt/end it at any time.
Just make sure this is some reputable company. Geek Squad come to your house if they are local, but they are perfectly capable to diagnose the problem from their location, and then decide if they can fix it from there or not.
I think if they come to your house, the service is more expensive.

What's your problem? Maybe we can help??

Old 09-13-2014, 10:13 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Just make sure this is some reputable company. Geek Squad come to your house if they are local, but they are perfectly capable to diagnose the problem from their location, and then decide if they can fix it from there or not.

What's your problem? Maybe we can help??
Well these are individuals contacting me through craigslist,so I'm not sure if they're reputable or not. I'm aware I can end the session on my end,but who's to say someone can't retain your information like ip once they got in?

As far as my problem,it's my mother's computer my sister got for her from Walmart...an Acer last holiday. What's happened is when I go into certain fields they are greened out and I can't see any text. Was told it may be a virus,but I ran a couple antivirus/malware including one we used on our other computer...Malwarebytes or something and it didn't find much. Also went to a supposed top tech forum and they couldn't figure it out so that's when I figured I may have to get it looked at here...

Old 09-13-2014, 10:42 AM

2,131 posts, read 3,557,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I placed an ad on craigslist for some computer help,and some of the responders said they could help but wanted access...I don't think that's a good idea since we recently had some big problems with hackers.

But is this the new way? Don't places like Geek Squad come to your house?...
I don't think Geek Squad is known expert service.

Don in Austin

Old 09-13-2014, 12:44 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
I would not be handing over remote access to some random person off Craigslist.

Maybe take a screenshot of the problem (Print Screen then paste it into Paint) and post it. Your description is so vague that there's no way anyone could reliably tell you what the issue is.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:07 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,769,111 times
So you don't want to give access to someone remotely but you welcome them into your home?

Maybe you can attach a screen shot to your post.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:53 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,522,177 times
The fields are greened out or greyed out? What program (s)?

Old 09-14-2014, 01:27 PM

61,221 posts, read 86,083,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
I don't think Geek Squad is known expert service.

Don in Austin
They are affiliated with Best Buy, they fix computers, and as far I know they are doing a decent job.
I see their computer service cars in my city all the times.
Craigslist has his share on thugs and scammers, but those are in most cases private individuals.
Many reputable companies advertise their service on there too. Probably because lots of people still check this website when they need something.

The most famous consumer tech-support service is undoubtedly Best Buy's Geek Squad. Geek Squad is also arguably the most polished computer-help service, offering not only online help, but in-store and at-home repair services, too. It's also the least-expensive service I've tested and includes a license for top-notch security software.
Geek Squad Review & Rating | PCMag.com

I never used their service, though.
Are they better then others? Probably not. Computer diagnostics are like car repairs, there are many ways to mark up the repairs, or list non existing problems. Dishonest people are everywhere.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:43 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,546,470 times
Nothing new as noted .HP uses it all the time to check computers for warranty work before sending parts and IT tech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers